U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 PM

359 posts, read 1,299,138 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I know the North Carolina law forbids the sale of raw milk for human consumption but that it is fine for animal consumption. So, I'll just say that this is for my pets.

Out here in Missouri we, I mean, our pets, drink raw milk. We have to get it straight from the farmer. Anyone know of any place like that out there? I don't mind driving a ways to get it. If not, I best be looking into land for my future cow....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:40 PM

1,666 posts, read 3,461,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmflan View Post
Hi folks. I know the North Carolina law forbids the sale of raw milk for human consumption but that it is fine for animal consumption. So, I'll just say that this is for my pets.

Out here in Missouri we, I mean, our pets, drink raw milk. We have to get it straight from the farmer. Anyone know of any place like that out there? I don't mind driving a ways to get it. If not, I best be looking into land for my future cow....
Tangential yet true story: when I was a child, and I saw PET brand milk in grocery stores when on vacation in Maggie Valley NC... I really thought it came from pets, like our cat or dog. I really, really didn't want to drink PET milk. :-)

Sadly, I don't have an answer to your question. However, there are lots, and I mean lots, of local organic farmers and the like in Orange, Chatham, Person, etc. counties. I would imagine if there's some kind of movement to give raw milk to, er, your _pet_, they'd know about it.

You might start by giving a call to the Durham Food Co-Op as they might be able to get you an answer. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 31,426 times
I would like to know where to find raw cow's milk here in the Raleigh area. I wish they would overturn that ridiculous, tyrannical law that bans this healthy natural food...all to protect government-owned milk industry and the profiteers that have robbed us of our health and choices. I truly hope people will begin to wake up; we should never allow the central government to control our lives like they currently do.

Last edited by veeew; 02-14-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM

836 posts, read 2,318,923 times
There was a very good article in The Independant a while back about this very issue. I think they mentioned some dairies, but did not reread the whole thing.

Here it is: Independent Weekly: Drink it raw

If it gets cut by the moderator, just google Independant, "raw milk" and "orange county"

Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,477,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNC View Post
There was a very good article in The Independant a while back about this very issue. I think they mentioned some dairies, but did not reread the whole thing.

Here it is: Independent Weekly: Drink it raw

If it gets cut by the moderator, just google Independant, "raw milk" and "orange county"

Very good VaNC. I was going to provide the same link. I've looked into this, though not very much, because I wanted to start making my own cheese. I know of a few people that already make their own cheese. All of them gave up on the unprocessed milk search.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 7,054,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeew View Post
I would like to know where to find raw cow's milk here in the Raleigh area. I wish they would overturn that ridiculous, tyrannical law that bans this healthy natural food...all to protect government-owned milk industry and the profiteers that have robbed us of our health and choices. I truly hope people will begin to wake up; we should never allow the central government to control our lives like they currently do.
Have you checked any of the local food co-ops? Like Durham Food Co-op. They might be able to make a suggestion.

I'm personally not a fan of raw milk, I've had it and it's just not for me. BUT I do find it infuriating that raw milk is illegal but it's legal to smoke in public places.

Edit: sorry, the last comment is off topic.

Last edited by PDXmom; 02-14-2008 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: oops... a bit off topic

Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM

716 posts, read 1,844,348 times
Default Buy part ownership in a millk cow?

There is a case traveling through the courts here in MI where an organic farmer is charged with selling raw milk at a Food Co-Op. The State Food Inspectors appear to have gone way over the line in persecuting, err... prosecuting, this poor guy.

The "buyers" of the milk were actually part owners of the cow herd, possibly only 20 owners total. This technicality may prevent criminal penalties from the courts, but it didn't help the poor farmer avoid confiscation of his milk and other organic produce.

Hopefully NC's laws are not quite as draconian, and part ownership of a milk cow or herd would entitle you to drink raw milk without fear of arrest.

I drank raw milk many times as a kid whenever I would visit my paternal grand-parents on their farm. I never cared for the taste, but I was accustomed to the homogenized and pasteurized store milk, with its fat content reduced to 3-1/2%.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:47 PM

7,486 posts, read 14,811,285 times
I don't believe consuming raw milk is illegal in NC, just selling it for human consumption. SO no, you won't be arrested for drinking it.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:09 PM

823 posts, read 2,761,852 times
westonaprice.org has quite a bit to say about raw milk, with a local chapter in the Triangle.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 PM

2,688 posts, read 4,734,852 times
There are many articles on the the subject to Pasteurize or not to Pasteurize that subject seems to churn everyone a bit. Here is one that is interesting.
Raw Milk Vs. Pasteurized Milk

I for one am for Pasteurized milk, I'd rather pass on the Vitamin C that breaks down in the pasteurization process and live to drink another glass of milk than to take a chance of getting TB or other harmful disease's just to say I like my milk raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary