Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 AM

93 posts, read 330,671 times

Advertisements

Thanks coltank and sneezecake. I am definitely going to check out the different areas before I make up my mind. I'll have to go by Brightleaf again too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
How about....... SW Durham! It looks like what you're asking for. I've also heard that it nice there as well.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:15 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
If you like SW Durham, then move there. As so many have said, why not?! It's beautiful, safe, and convenient. There are oodles of people on this forum who've chosen to buy homes & SW Durham - many of us in the very neighborhoods you listed - and we all love it here.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM

140 posts, read 440,980 times
Add me to the list of folks who thinks that if you like the look of SW Durham, then definitely consider looking in SW Durham. When we moved here folks told us to "stay away from Durham" but being the contrarians we are the more folks told us to "stay away" the more we were determined to look there -- LOL. And we're glad we did -- as pointed out before it is convenient to many things in the Triangle and for me at least it still has a great community feel to it.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,539 times
I will never, ever understand the "stay away from Durham," comments--particularly when talking about the SW side. As you've seen, it's total suburban utopia

--Another Durham resident, raising my family in safe, beautiful, conveniently located Woodlake

Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I will never, ever understand the "stay away from Durham," comments--particularly when talking about the SW side. As you've seen, it's total suburban utopia

--Another Durham resident, raising my family in safe, beautiful, conveniently located Woodlake
We all know why the "stay away from Durham" comments exist and they have nothing to do with anything based on facts.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
I, too, echo the sentiments. When we first moved here, I got myself all worked up about Durham... I can't live in Durham because of the schools, the crime, the this, the that.... but after renting in Durham a while and getting to know other parts of the Triangle, I am glad we chose Durham as our spot to live. I don't live in SWD, I'm in North Durham which is much quieter, but Durham as a whole is a great town. There's something for everyone here. And my kid is going to a great public school.... in Durham.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Ditto all the comments about SW Durham. We're building in Grandale, 5 minutes from Southpoint and very convenient to everything (except, of course, North Durham, where we both work. ). Lots of nice neighborhoods and good value for the money.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:53 PM

45 posts, read 103,160 times
This thread is very helpful. My fmaily and I hope to relocate in the next 3-12 mos depending on hubby's job relocation in Durham. I TOO have been told over and over to stay away from DUrham...from people in the Raleigh area and even from people here in NJ! We want suburban but NOT cookie cutter so maybe SW DUrham is actually better for us than N Raleigh/Cary...we were also looking in Wake Forest b/c your dollar goes SOOO far but the commute would be awful to Durham...which developments in SW Durham (looking to stay around $400K) would you recommend we look at in Nov when we visit again? THANKS in advance!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
Grandale. It's a Centex community. There are at least 3 of us there (or soon to be, in our case). Calvitts, amcjap and me. There may be others (sorry if I've forgotten you!) and it's a nice community. $400k will get you in just about any plan there and will get you a nicely upgraded (maybe too upgraded) Heritage model house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary