Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times

Advertisements

Hi - My son also has ADHD/learning disability (language processing) and Sensory Processing Issues. He's only 4 , so we have dealt with the school system yet. Get in touch with Project Enlightenment. They are a great resource through the WCPSS. Project Enlightenment They actually helped me get diagnosis for my son through his preschool. Also, if your looking for an OT check out Pediatric Therapy Associates. Pediatric Therapy Associates | Making Miracles Happen! They have been a Godsend to our family. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
That may be so, however when children are given an IEP, the schools are required by current state laws and regulations to implement them and find the resources whether it be NJ, NY, NC or anyplace else.

update:
I went to the new school today, but could not enroll my child because I have to go to the base school I was told to opt her out of that school. They were so nice there. The School Psychologist happened to be there and when he heard me mention IEP he came over to chat with us, look over her IEP from AZ and look at the papers from the the IEP meeting we have had in NC, and meet my daughter, also the Speech Therapist came out and spoke to us awhile and told me after my daughter starts school there, they would start her speech within two weeks. She even gave me her email and took mine. Tomorrow I'll do the opting out of the YR base school and get her all enrolled and taken care of. It gave me a good feeling that they both seemed so happy and willing to help my daughter when she is not even enrolled there that.
Cool! Good luck!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,040 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
Hi - My son also has ADHD/learning disability (language processing) and Sensory Processing Issues. He's only 4 , so we have dealt with the school system yet. Get in touch with Project Enlightenment. They are a great resource through the WCPSS. Project Enlightenment They actually helped me get diagnosis for my son through his preschool. Also, if your looking for an OT check out Pediatric Therapy Associates. Pediatric Therapy Associates | Making Miracles Happen! They have been a Godsend to our family. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. This are some good sites.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Cool! Good luck!
Thanks so much

Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
My child first started school in Morris County NJ and that is where they discovered her having a learning disability. They were amazing! Everything was so organized and everyone easy to contact and so helpful. Sometimes (I could kick myself for making the choice to move from there to AZ. in) I'm hopeful that I can find the kind of support my daughter had in NJ out here in NC even though it was so long ago. There is no self contained out here? They did mention in the recent IEP meeting here something about an "IRC" class or was it "ICR" class,that it was similar to self contained.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about tying the shoes. I worked for years with it with my daughter too. She got it perfectly finally at 10.
As far as holding a pencil, she goes through lead after lead since she presses so hard.
This is what I was told about the self contained classroom by the IEP leader in NC school.... Your child has to be retarded or physically handicapped in a wheelchair in order to be in a self contained classroom.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,550 times
I would like to bump this thread...I have a daughter who is 4 and has an IEP. Her teacher believes she has an Auditory or Language Processing Disability. I am hoping that there are some out there who have had some good experiences with Wake County's Special Ed system.

Just for comparison - is Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system known for having good Special Ed? Any comparison between Wake/CH-C?

Are kids in Special Ed in Wake redistricted just like any other child in the county? I hope not...I'd stay away from the school system based on this alone.

Also, any private schools we can look into that won't put us in the poorhouse? We can probably swing up to 8K per year, but cannot afford those $15-20K per year private schools.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times
Geoff2v, Massachusetts' Special Ed Srvcs definitely deserves the great reputation it has and I'll tell you why. My daughter started Special Ed services when she was 3 yrs. old in Framingham, MA. (we suspected a processing issue). The town/public school system tested her and she was accepted into a sub-sep pre-school program available through the public school system. She was there for 2 years and when her teacher told me there were still some things they could not figure out about her; the school system/town paid the bill (upwards of $1200) for her to have a battery of tests done at Mass General Hospital (Speech/Lang, PT, Neuropsych and at my own request, OT). There were some interesting things were revealed, however, because she was so young it was hard to test her for an LD and/or label her ADHD (altho she was showing signs of it). Interestingly enough, the one thing that totally went undetected by everyone in the school system and by us at home -- she had some real OT issues (gross motor planning). It seems she did not have a sense of her body in space. It was fascinating to discover and it explained so much. So armed with this new information and having it formally documented I was able to obtain the add'l service of OT for her in her IEP. The OT services she received in MA were unbelievable. The school I took her to for this service was as fully equipped as any private PT/OT facility you would pay for here.
So why did we leave?

I'm sharing all this with you because I went through a lot of angst about making this move down south. We moved right after kindergarten ended. I knew coming down here we'd be giving up a lot of great services for my girl. She had been accepted into a special program for intelligent to above avg. intell. children w/learning disabilities but w/no behavior issues, 12 children/4 teachers. I also knew that Wake County, whether it's due to being low on funds or in a time warp or less than cutting edge.....justdon't see gross motor OT issues having an impact on the ability to learn. The fact that a child, w/OT issues, needs to direct some of their brainpower to their body (to make it do things for them like sit properly in their seats w/out falling off, for example) instead of being able to fully attend to what's being taught in the classroom says, IMPACTS LEARNING to me and to the Special Education Department of the Massachusetts Public School System but not Wake County.
So why did we leave?

My daughter is now 8 yrs old and as suspected has ADHD. She's in a new school doing great and for now everyone agrees she doesn't need the Speech/Lang services she used to have nor the OT (fine motor). Even the private practice we went to down here for OT (motor planning) has said she doesn't need to come anymore. She still has an IEP and gets pulled out for reading and math -- it's helped tremendously. She's solidly on grade level and is very, very happy w/her teacher(s) and her new school.

My advice to you, nynurse, is to check out the magnet schools for him. If he has a special interest in computer technology, music, art...whatever, there might be a school that offers it as an elective or even more than that. I don't know where in NY you're coming from but the base school my children were assigned to and went to for a year was very bland. It was a top-rated school; 10 out of 10 -- meanwhile....very white bread. The administrators seemed very nice and competent; the spec ed teachers seemed dedicated and tried hard but there was something missing. For a child w/ADHD who needs the stimulation...the magnet schools offer some very interesting flavors...check it out.

Why did we move here? We're selfish...the living is a lot easier here; the winters are a lot gentler here and it's gorgeous here.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:01 AM

Default Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
I would like to bump this thread...I have a daughter who is 4 and has an IEP. Her teacher believes she has an Auditory or Language Processing Disability. I am hoping that there are some out there who have had some good experiences with Wake County's Special Ed system.

Just for comparison - is Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system known for having good Special Ed? Any comparison between Wake/CH-C?

Are kids in Special Ed in Wake redistricted just like any other child in the county? I hope not...I'd stay away from the school system based on this alone.

Also, any private schools we can look into that won't put us in the poorhouse? We can probably swing up to 8K per year, but cannot afford those $15-20K per year private schools.

Thanks.
I would like to tell you that the experience in Wake County has been great, If you see my past posts in the thread and the dates, my daughter was finally finished with all of her testing and got her new IEP yesterday. I made pretty clear that I was not thrilled and should they lose track of her IEP they will be in serious doo doo. I was happy with the changes but pissed off it took so freaken long. She finally has a diagnosis. I have been back and forth with her teachers before this IEP. she has failed math and now put into resource. I'm not happy and they know this and so do her teachers, hopefully as of tomorrow things will FINALLY change!! So no I don't have a good experience to report. Less than a handful of staff have been extremely helpful. I've ben rounds w the superintendant even and the Principal which helped a little bit with certain issues.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
WCPSS tries but is way overburdened.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times
Yes, saturnfan, I believe you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary