Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshallen View Post
make sure you visit the church more than once...my first vist always seems to fall on "budget" sunday

a really good church off glenwood is Providence. it is very large but still has a small church feel. the pastor is one of the best speakers i have ever heard.

here is their website
Providence Baptist Church - pray.org
I agree about this church. It is a great church. I didn't recommend it, however, because the OP mentioned requiring immersion baptism to become a member and Providence does. Pastor Horner is great and it is a wonderful church that also does a lot for the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
I hear you. It took us awhile to find a church home for a variety of reasons.

Eg: for a long time, I had a problem with my little guy refusing to leave my side, and many churches wanted us to leave him in sunday school. Then there were those who talked about money all_the_time, those that were not very welcoming and we found others either way conservative or way liberal. you get the picture.

We finally gave up looking for a church home and started attending services at different area churches kind of at whim. We stumbled on our church 'home' about 2 years ago when we found ourselves wanting to go back to the same one over and over. What is it about stopping looking so hard and finding what we needed?

In any event, if I had to do it all over again, I would make a list of the area churches and their different service times, start attending and circle the ones that you would go back to and try them again. What we ultimately found was that the different services at the same church could be radically different...so don't give up just b/c you don't like the 8am svce..try the 11am svce or vice versa. Also, a previous poster was correct - we are moving into the fall season where most try to get their budgets together for the next year...so will be talking about pledges and tithing...don't be overly put off if you hit a church on its 'pledge sunday'. <grin>

oh...another resource are neighbors, kids friends parents...start asking where they go...a big driver for our kids was having kids they knew attending the same church. Especially as they got older.

best of luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary