Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I beg to differ on the history.
Raleigh has fascinating history, best told by a local who loves the history of the area.
The Joel Lane House is where the site of the city of Raleigh was finalized. The story is that Joel Lane fed the committee so much good bourbon that they felt physically encumbered and morally compelled to put Raleigh where it is.
Mr. Lane had in-law trouble then, as his father-in-law was lobbying for a location on the Neuse River, east of town.
So, ample flow of good bourbon kept the city off a flood plain.

Now if THAT ain't history, what is?
And there is more...
I agree...this area has a great history...and I continue to love the new things I find. I've read about the tavern story about the placement of Raleigh and have always found it amusing.

I've been concentrating the coast (great history there - pirates always are great for a story) and then the Piedmont as well as the city of Raleigh specifically and haven't run out of things to learn yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2007, 05:19 PM

251 posts, read 1,143,012 times
Desi, I see you're closely following my threads again. The offer for lunch is still on, if you'd like.

There is history, yes. But some parts of the country have a great deal more, cities like Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., etc. being just a few. You are within driving distance of a few good historic sites here and if you appreciate the Civil War, you'll find a great deal of that part of history here.

When I lived out west I missed touring some of the grand antibellum mansions you see in states like South Carolina. There were a lot of old forts out west of course, but touring them wasn't quite the same to me, as I love antiques.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Be sure to check out the capital - check out the cultural hub of the city & the surrounding neighborhoods. Also, go into a Harris Teeter or Lowes- you can tell al ot about a place by the supermarket (buy a drink or snack there!) Also drive on 98 so you can see Falls Lake

Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
Desi, I see you're closely following my threads again. The offer for lunch is still on, if you'd like.

There is history, yes. But some parts of the country have a great deal more, cities like Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., etc. being just a few. You are within driving distance of a few good historic sites here and if you appreciate the Civil War, you'll find a great deal of that part of history here.

When I lived out west I missed touring some of the grand antibellum mansions you see in states like South Carolina. There were a lot of old forts out west of course, but touring them wasn't quite the same to me, as I love antiques.
I post in a great number of threads on this forum. I am hardly following you around though I note that you've chosen to be disrespectful to me in several posts today. Please either refer to me by my user name or not at all.

And I do not have lunch with strangers from the internet certainly not ones whose behavior is trollish, boorish, rude and insulting. I have no idea why you keep repeating this 'offer'...it's bordering on stalking.

There is great history in NC...it's a shame that you can't see that because it's not what you want it to be, but it's worse when you are trying to mislead newcomers to the area with incorrect statements. NC is not SC....if you want South Carolina history go there, but don't say there is nothing of interesting in North Carolina.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:59 PM

251 posts, read 1,143,012 times
My offers to have lunch have been gestures towards giving you opportunity to get to know me as a human being equal to yourself - in the hope you'll stop this wasting of everyone's time here.

This is boring people silly. Stop attacking me please.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:39 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,243 times
For the outdoor stuff I would stop at REI at the mall. They have expert outdoor people who can tell you a lot about the area in a short amount of time. This will save you time to see other things. Perhaps drive from Fuquay Varina all the way to Chapel Hill stopping along the way. That should be an all day excursion (Providing baby is comfortable). This will at least give you an idea. Chamber of commerce has good info. Check it out online before you make your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary