Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:26 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I guess what I found creepy about it is that they made a traffic circle out of the gravesite.
I agree---creepy and tacky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Many of the subdivisions in this area are built on what was previously farmland that in some cases has been farmed since the 1800's. It is not unusual to have family graveyards on farms.

FWIW, there is a portion of the Garden State Parkway in Northern New Jersey that is bordered on both sides by a very old and large graveyard. Trust me, the graveyard was there long before the Parkway was ever built through the middle of it.
Your post reminds me of driving down Silverton RD in Toms River, NJ. It is a narrow 2 lane major road North and south divided by concrete barrier. On both sides of the road is a very large graveyard. I guess they moved the graves in the middle to make way for the roadway. I always felt as if I was driving through old graves, which made me think of the Poltergeist move when Steven was yelling at his boss: You moved the headstones and left the bodies didn't ya!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 AM

65 posts, read 112,884 times
Default Graveyards

Graveyards are cool. I spend many hours in old cemeteries, because I'm a genealogist. You better worry about the living, because the dead can't harm you.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:44 AM

65 posts, read 112,884 times
Default Cemeteries

Buying a home with an old historic cemetery would be an extra incentive for me to purchase the home, no kidding. Imagine telling your kids ghost stories on Halloween. That would be cool. Matter a fact when I was a kid we use to camp out near my home, right near old slave graves. It was on my great grandmothers land that she inherited from her father and so on.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:52 AM

189 posts, read 753,533 times
When I moved from CA to NH, I was shocked over the difference between how the two regions treated death. In CA, cemeteries are very large and usually in out of the way places. When development starts to encroach, it isn't unheard of to dig everyone up and move the cemetery. Cemeteries just aren't something you see in every day life and frequently you have to go out of your way to find one.

In NH, small historical family plots abound, sometimes in the most unusual places. My understanding is that state law protects them. I've seen them at develpment entrances, intersection corners and, my most unusual example, in a KFC parking lot on a very busy street!

So...one man's "creepy" becomes another man's "respect for the dead." After my initial shock I grew to like the small plots, imagining who lived in the area in bygone days and what they were like. I suspect it's all a matter of perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary