Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times

Advertisements

There are grants to Mariposa that some people can get at the beginning of the year if there are openings. Also some insurance companies pay part of the tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaVA View Post
I'm looking for a great contact in the Wake County School system. Is it possible to share the contact's name and contact info? Thank you. I'm looking for services for a 3-year old. Mariposa is just too expensive. Not yet sure about Meredith College for the younger one.
Project Enlightenment Project Enlightenment is part of the WCPSS. They are a wonderful resource for kids with special needs, especially kids around the age of 3. I've lost my contact name there, but they should be able to help.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 16,293 times
Default follow up to Coltank response

I phoned Mariposa and was told they won't take Tricare (which pays for ABA therapy) nor do they have anyone on staff to handle any insurance companies. I specifically asked about scholarships and was told No. I asked how parents could possibly afford such an expensive enrollment, particularly for 2 children, and was told "I guess they mortgage their homes."

Old 11-24-2009, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,329 times
We recently moved here from Florida and were very surprised at the poor level of interest, effort and understanding that the NC public school system has given our 13 yr old high functioning autistic daughter. There are private schools for Learning disabilities in the area, but not specific to Autism. The public schools are overcrowded and ill equiped to handle children with special needs. My daughter is a straight A student, but has the emotional/social issues that accompany Autism. Her ESE coordinator at the middle school had no clue what autism meant! Steer clear of Greensboro area!! If we had known how poor the ESE programs really were in NC - we wouldn't have moved here at all.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAutisticBeautifulGirl View Post
We recently moved here from Florida and were very surprised at the poor level of interest, effort and understanding that the NC public school system has given our 13 yr old high functioning autistic daughter. There are private schools for Learning disabilities in the area, but not specific to Autism. The public schools are overcrowded and ill equiped to handle children with special needs. My daughter is a straight A student, but has the emotional/social issues that accompany Autism. Her ESE coordinator at the middle school had no clue what autism meant! Steer clear of Greensboro area!! If we had known how poor the ESE programs really were in NC - we wouldn't have moved here at all.
This is actually the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary board. Perhaps you should post this in the Triad area

Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 PM

78 posts, read 226,296 times
We are considering moving to the area as well and finding the right program for our HFA daughter (who is currently mainstreamed in public school in NJ) is imperative before we make the decision.

We were in the area earlier in the week and went to go see a new private school geared to HFA and their typical siblings. Non-ABA, small mixed age classes, focus on creative and natural arts. Definitely not traditional, but we really liked it and will likely send our daughter there if we decide to move. They currently serve K-6 but will be growing to middle school age next year (I think).

I am new to the board (as you can see from my number of posts) so I don't think I can post a recommendation, but if you send me a private message I can tell you the name.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,205 times
I was a one-on-one TA for a 9-year old autistic child in the Wake County System and I have to say that although the school has its fair share of issues, they really do have a good autistic program. After my first year as a one-on-one I moved with my teacher to a new school (within wake county) and was a TA for a double class of autistic 1 & 2. There was two teachers and two TA's. We also mainstreamed two high functioning autistic children into the other classrooms each day and it worked very well.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:32 AM

3 posts, read 12,739 times
Default Tuition at Mariposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
No, The Trilogy School and Fletcher School appear to be more for kids with ADHA, and possibly kids who are older. Actually, our son has been at Mariposa for a couple of weeks now, and is doing fantastic. I would highly recommend it.

I checked out Mariposa, and the tuition seems a bit steep. Do you know of any scholarships or grants that are available for schools like Mariposa?

I contacted CAP and they may have some available funding to assist, but there is a long waiting list and it will probably only cover up to around $17,00 for the year (which I think is excellent).

I got a bit set back when I looked at the tuition for Mariposa which is $4565 per month for a full week and $2355 per month for part time ...it seems that only the wealthy can afford these rates. I was wondering that in your search for schools that specialize in ASD, if you found any other Schools in the Raleigh/Durham area that a bit less expensive? I hate to sound "cheap", but I just cannot afford $54,780 per year...we would be homeless, shoeless, foodless and clotheless for sure if we were to manage that amount!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM

I know exactly what you mean! I live in a small city east of Raleigh (Rocky Mount) population around 68,000...you would cry for me and my daughter who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and is 11 years old and no one in this area has a clue to the needs of children with autism despite the alarming statistics and growth rate of autism within the urban and rural areas of our dear state...my daughter had a "shadow" last year and it worked out well, but the funding for the Exceptional Children's Program was cut, and now she is basically on her own, getting ready to go to middle school...I guess you can sense that my blood pressure is having issues right about now....!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaVA View Post
I phoned Mariposa and was told they won't take Tricare (which pays for ABA therapy) nor do they have anyone on staff to handle any insurance companies. I specifically asked about scholarships and was told No. I asked how parents could possibly afford such an expensive enrollment, particularly for 2 children, and was told "I guess they mortgage their homes."

Isn't that something? That school costs $54,780 per year...why would they charge people that much money? I don't understand it. Then they don't offer any scholarships or solicit community support to help families. Wow...that's weird huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary