Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM

71 posts, read 249,341 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area and don't know how certain things are handled down here. They are so totally different from CT.

A friend purchased a brand new home and the builders did a horrible job. Her kitchen cabinets are supposed to be Rouge, but some are Rouge and the others are brown, every other week she is finding something else that is either wrong or no longer working. The builders lied and told her she was only under warranty for 6 months, but her contract says one year.

Originally, she was told her deck would be off of her breakfast area, but the builders put it off of her bedroom. She didn't come down to do the final walk through, her realtor did. What could she do about all the problems the realtor neglected to tell her about in her first home?

Please have some good news for me to tell her. She is devastated about this whole situation. The builders are giving her a hard time because they know this is her first home and they are saying there is nothing they can do. She is so sorry that she moved her family down here now.

Her realtor was more concerned with making her money than having the client's best interest at heart. I am wondering if she should file a complaint with the Realtor's Board on this agent because it looks as though my friend is stuck with this mess of a house she has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,215 times
Did she have the house inspected prior to closing?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM

The realtor told her not to because it was a brand new house and they would inspect it before the 1 year anniversary....I told her that I had read on this site that you should have the home inpsect even if it's brand new, but she listened to the realtor and now she has a really big mess.

They did a survey and the realtor told her to give them 100% because they did a good job on the house. She didn't know because it was her first house and she really trusted her realtor. I personally think the realtor should be held accountable for her part in this mess, she knew this woman had trust issue before she even thought about buying the house. The realtor was like you can trust me.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Unfortunately your friend had a very poor realtor. Not only should your friend have hired an independent inspector to inspect the house once it was completed, she should have had the inspector checking the house at several different stages as it was being built to catch issues before the home was ever completed.

When you say the realtor did the "final walkthrough" are you saying your friend never viewed the home in person before she signed the closing papers? Sorry, but that is a terrible idea. She needed to see the house in person for herself and should never have signed the closing papers if it was not built per the contract.

Best advice, tell your friend to contact a local (and reputable) real estate attorney to explore here options.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsong765 View Post
The realtor was like you can trust me.
I hope she can find a way to separate her negative home buying experience with the move. If she continues to see them as one then she will never open up to the area, and that would be a shame.

As for realtors...no offense to those of you who are trustworthy, but which one is really going to come out and say, "wait, I'm the one that doesn't have your best interest in mind"? It's hard to know the difference right off the bat.

This can be a huge learning experience and I hope that she comes out on the better end of this when all is said and done.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Took the words out of my mouth!

But I can't give you rep points again

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Unfortunately your friend had a very poor realtor. Not only should your friend have hired an independent inspector to inspect the house once it was completed, she should have had the inspector checking the house at several different stages as it was being built to catch issues before the home was ever completed.

When you say the realtor did the "final walkthrough" are you saying your friend never viewed the home in person before she signed the closing papers? Sorry, but that is a terrible idea. She needed to see the house in person for herself and should never have signed the closing papers if it was not built per the contract.

Best advice, tell your friend to contact a local (and reputable) real estate attorney to explore here options.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM

Yes, she let her realtor do her walk through.
If anyone knows of a good real estate attorney I would love to pass on the information.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
As for realtors...no offense to those of you who are trustworthy, but which one is really going to come out and say, "wait, I'm the one that doesn't have your best interest in mind"? It's hard to know the difference right off the bat.
Ask for references and the chance to interview those people via phone or face to face. We did and I have since referred my parents, friends and Aunt to her.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,327 times
Does it state on the plans or in the contract where the deck is supposed to be? What kind of cabinets are they? As some cabinet doors can vary in color depending on the wood. Is the warranty in writing, and what does it say? If there are things in writing, and it is a reputable builder, I'm sure they will fix what is wrong. And, if it is in writing, as it should be, you should have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM

Yes, the contract states where the deck is supposed to be. They also changed one of the bathrooms without telling her..giving her a shower intstead of a tub. The dishwasher was broken and they decided to fix it instead of relplace it. The cabinets were supposed to be Rouge, but the frame is the only thing the right color, the doors are light brown, brown, the Island is Rouge and she said when she complained the builders brought in an expert and he has a brown piece of wood that was lighter than the cabinets and told them this was the right color and there is nothing they could do.

She is really devasted by this. I feel bad too because I was the one that told her to move down here. I told her to use the realtor I had but this one had called her and she didn't want to disappoint the woman who had sent her information. The builders know she doesn't have anyone here to help her and they are saying she has to accept everything the way it is because they are not changing anything, it would cost them too much money. They want her to be happy that the builder who was overseeing her home being built was fired because he let his workers do what they wanted to do. This doesn't help her situation.

I really hope there is something she could do about this horrible situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary