Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 07:38 PM

112 posts, read 630,136 times

Advertisements

Are there any around Raleigh? If so, could you tell me the name of it and where they are located? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rieboots View Post
Are there any around Raleigh? If so, could you tell me the name of it and where they are located? Thanks!
I don't know how tradtional they are, but all of my daughter's Masters are interns from Korea under Grandmaster Jun Lee.

http://www.blackbeltworld.com/

Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,744 times
White Tiger in Cary

Master Chung is from Korea, 6th-degree black belt, I think. I've taken hapkido there and it's a very nice facility. Master Chung is fantastic.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
We went to United States Tae Kwon Do Institute, USTI, under Master McDonald. It's in Durham by Southpoint mall. Website is http://www.ustimartialarts.com/

Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
I don't know how traditional it is, but my daughter goes to World Champion Tae Kwon Do in Wake Forest - they just opened a new facility that is awesome. They just brought in a Korean Demo team, and they have a trip planned to take some of the students to Korea soon, too.

I have also heard great things about Black Belt World, as mentioned by a pp.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:07 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
I don't know how traditional it is, but my daughter goes to World Champion Tae Kwon Do in Wake Forest - they just opened a new facility that is awesome. They just brought in a Korean Demo team, and they have a trip planned to take some of the students to Korea soon, too.

I have also heard great things about Black Belt World, as mentioned by a pp.
So they moved from around the old Win Dixie?

BB World does a Korea trip every year as well. I think most of them do to be honest.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
So they moved from around the old Win Dixie?

BB World does a Korea trip every year as well. I think most of them do to be honest.
Yes, they're at the end of Ligon Mill on the left, kind of next to WalMart.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:16 AM

I will update this thread, since I am still getting reps for it so apparently people are still reading it...

I've heard from one of the previous instructors that USTI in Durham is closed now, though their website still works so I'm not sure. If they are open, they've moved, because there is a different studio in their space near Southpoint mall.

We are now going to the similarly named, but not affiliated, US Tae Kwon Do Center, which runs out of both the Orange County Parks and Rec (in Hillsborough) and the Chapel Hill Parks and Rec. It is pretty inexpensive compared to some of the other TKD schools we've gone to, because it is a Parks and Rec program. It is also no contract and runs in either 6 week sessions (in Hillsborough) or 12 week sessions (in Chapel Hill) in the Parks and Rec model. Master Kim teaches and is a Korean master teaching Kukkiwon style by the book. He also teaches TKD to public school students in Durham and Wake county in their PE program.

I've been going there for 9 months now and I like it and think Master Kim is a good teacher. This is the 3rd TKD studio that I've gone to now, and I find that they are all a bit different in how they do things. Master Kim has been able to significantly improve my technique in areas where I never even realized what I was doing wrong before. He does have much less focus on poomse and one-step self-defenses than the other schools I've been to, with more focus on general kicking technique and sparring.

https://www.facebook.com/USTKDCenterofNC

Not in the Raleigh area exactly, but in Orange county, so still maybe will still be useful to someone here.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Don't know the status of Nicolas McDonald's USTI, but it dates back to the days when H. K. Lee and his family, including Jun Lee and K. S. Lee, set up shop in the Triangle. See About the Lee Brothers | Raleigh Taekwondo & Martial Arts School . Adam Schainblatt's school also arose from the Lee operation.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 AM

I didn't know that Master McDonald was affiliated with Lee Brothers at all. When I was there, we did not do Tae Geuk poomse, we did Gekkisai and Pinan forms instead. At the time, I didn't know this was unusual as it was my first TKD school. We also did stances somewhat untraditionally, with feet turned in at an angle instead of straight. I've been told that this is more of a karate style than TKD style. It seems that Master McDonald had decided to do certain things differently from "traditional" style because he thought that was an improvement, but as a student I was not aware that what we were learning was any different until I changed schools. I did like that we learned Arnis sticks for weapons, which I prefer over nunchucks or bo staff which seem more popular at other schools.

I haven't gone to a Lee Brothers school, but I have met the one who is master at the Burlington school and he seemed super nice. I visited the Mebane school, which is closest to me, and did not like the woman who was running that branch at all. She was not friendly to me or my kid, and I did not go back. That's unfortunate, because the school would be very convenient for me, location-wise. We also have Champions Martial Arts near me, but they are not "traditional" TKD either. So that's why we drive further away. I looked for a traditional TKD school in Hillsborough, but didn't find much. Master Neall teaches a class at the dance studio there, but he does ITF style and I was looking more for WTF style. But the Parks and Rec program is working fine for me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary