U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2008, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 24,716 times

Advertisements

Are there any economical transporation alternatives that will enable children to get to and from their school bus stops or directly to/frm schools? Are there any child-targeted community transportation services or parent-run car pools?

My child will be taking an Express Bus this year from Cary to Daniels Middle school. It's difficult to come to terms with my current understanding that I must pick my child up from the designated bus stop afterschool before the workday is over. Transportation between school and home should not be such a complex ordeal for children

Helpful guidance and suggestions and problem-solving would be appreciated. Thanks!

QO

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 AM

775 posts, read 854,851 times
Let me know if you figure it out, because that's the thing that keeps me from applying to magnet schools. They're not very working family friendly.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
Let me know if you figure it out, because that's the thing that keeps me from applying to magnet schools. They're not very working family friendly.
Thanks for clarify the situation. I'm relatively new here and haven't quite figured it all out. I wondered if I had overlooked resources for which other parents were aware. Well, this is utterly ridiculous, I've never heard of such a thing! The city and schools here need to do a better job coordinating safe transportation for children. What are we paying our taxes for??? I thought Cary was one of the best places to live...

WorkingMomof2, if I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

If anyone else has any insight or suggestions please don't hesitate.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 PM

775 posts, read 854,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenolive View Post
Thanks for clarify the situation. I'm relatively new here and haven't quite figured it all out. I wondered if I had overlooked resources for which other parents were aware. Well, this is utterly ridiculous, I've never heard of such a thing! The city and schools here need to do a better job coordinating safe transportation for children. What are we paying our taxes for??? I thought Cary was one of the best places to live...

WorkingMomof2, if I figure it out, I'll be sure to let you know.

If anyone else has any insight or suggestions please don't hesitate.
Once school starts, you may be able to coordinate some sort of carpool with neighbors, but otherwise, it's a problem with magnets. If your child was attending your base school, the bus stop would be within walking distance of your house.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM

108 posts, read 342,180 times
I know this is not a solution, but a suggestion that might work..... I am able to drive my kids to school myself and I actually enjoy the drive. We listen to music, sing, tell stories and I learn about thier day when I pick them up. I would be more than happy to have another child in the car. I imagine other parents feel the same way. The only way to find out is to ask.

As I said I know this isn't a solution but it might be worth a try. I know this is a huge problem and it shouldn't be so hard for children to have safe and convenient transportantion to and from school.

I wish you the best with this.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 AM

(sigh)...I will miss those carpooling days with my child. Per your suggestions, I intend to reach out and try coordinating with other parents at the bus stop.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:34 AM

23 posts, read 297,445 times
That's the trade off for attending a magnet program. There are kids in these programs from all over the county. Can you imagine how complex it would be to provide door to door service for students all over the county from each magnet school? You'd be running buses all day long...I am at a magnet school in N. Raleigh and we have students from east Wake County, Cary, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, etc. How can the district provide door to door for those kids, in addition to base students who are more local? Magnet students are spread across the county and you'd be running whole routes for a few kids that might live somewhat near each other.

Not for nothing, but people love coming here for the low taxes- then complain when the district doesn't have the kind of money that would allow them to run entire bus routes for kids who elect to go to school outside of their base.......you have to realize that if you want this kind of service, our taxes would raise dramatically.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:15 PM

836 posts, read 2,297,506 times
I agree, I am not willing to pay extra taxes so that kids can be personally bussed from wherever they live all over this huge county to the magnet of their choice on the other side of the county. I opted for our base school (where there are bus routes to the surrounding base area) because I am not able to drive my kids all over town to a magnet. And I wouldn't expect the County to provide such a service...I agree with the previous poster, that would be a crazy thing to do. Some kids would end up with their own personal bus!

Did you look into this issue or after school options at all before you chose your magnet? There are Y and other programs that have buses that pick up at some school sand take them to a Y or elsewhere, where they do homework and programs and then you pick them up after work. Have you asked your school if there is such available? Of course, it is an extra fee, the taxpayers will not pay for afterschool care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.