Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 15,539 times

Advertisements

I noticed a lot of homes have septic and well water in the Wake Forest area. Is this a problem? Does anyone have these things on there home and if so did you have any problems with them. Does anyone have any pictures of the area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,326 times
Since Wake County does not have a county water supply (each town or city serves it's citizens), most homes located outside the corporate limits will have a well and septic system. There are approximately 7500 private wells located in Wake County, and I'm sure folks have had problems, but I have not had a poblem with my well and septic in the 3+ years since building my house. I grew up on well water also, and we never had any problems with the well, except the pump was hit by lightning once, and it took a day or two to get someone out to fix it. I really enjoy not having the chlorine-ish taste in my water at home. My water tastes like water should... nothing.

FYI: If you decide to purchase a home with a well, just remember if the power goes out---so does your water. If a hurricane or ice storm is forecast that may result in long power outages, fill up your bathtub so you can pour water in the toilet to flush, and fill up pitchers and pots for drinking water (and cooking if you have a gas stove).

Old 01-31-2007, 10:50 AM

98 posts, read 637,220 times
seems like hard work to me !!!

give me city water and sewage anyday so I don't have to worry about the sceptic tank overflowing and contaminating the well water

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post

give me city water and sewage anyday so I don't have to worry about the sceptic tank overflowing and contaminating the well water
You have to be completely neglectful for a septic tank to overflow...most seldom if ever even need pumped out (Monthly Rid-X down the toilet does the trick) and if you have a well with a good history...odds are it won't be a problem in the future (though water can change PH over time).

Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian View Post

A septic tank/drain field must be at least 100' from your well. So in the event of a overflow the well won't be affected. Fortunately, if I ever had that problem, my well is higher in elevation than my septic tank and drain field.

It is work, but it's not often you would have to do that. When you grow up with these issues, you really don't think about it. A bigger issue to me would be losing everything in my fridge and freezer. I do have a generator that will run those in case of a lengthy power loss, and it could be wired to my breaker box to run the water pump, but I need someone with a little more experience with electrical wiring than I to do that!

And yes, you would have to be very negligent to your septic system in order for it to fail. One thing you must keep in mind is to not let a large amount of grease go down the drain (just as imperative for city sewer too).

Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
We are on a community well and individual septic (live in wake forest). With the community well, it is owned by aqua north carolina, so we pay for water every month.......and have a meter. This is the first time we have been on a septic, and all is well. I think you just need to make sure to take care of them properly. Although some builders in our neighborhood put garbage disposals in the kitchens, ours did not because it is not recommended for septic tank users. When I lived in cary we had a community well and never had any problems, even when we were without power for days during an ice storm.

Leigh

Old 01-31-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
Although some builders in our neighborhood put garbage disposals in the kitchens, ours did not because it is not recommended for septic tank users. When I lived in cary we had a community well and never had any problems, even when we were without power for days during an ice storm.
Wake County will not pass inspection on a new home with septic if a garbage disposal has been installed. You can do it after you move in though.

The community wells probably have some type of generator backup in case the power goes out.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 PM

122 posts, read 488,334 times
Washing machines should not flow to the septic system (if at all possible) as bleach can kill the organisms that break down the waste in the system. Bleach as well as anti bacterial cleaners should not be used for household cleaning and should not enter the drains for the same reason.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOUND123 View Post
Washing machines should not flow to the septic system (if at all possible) as bleach can kill the organisms that break down the waste in the system.
It's not good for the septic system for sure, but my yard would be a mud hole if we let the washer drain outside. Better for that water go in the septic than in the creeks too.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM

122 posts, read 488,334 times
There are no creeks in the city where I live so that has not been an issue for me. If there is a problem with creeks, rivers, etc... I wonder (I'm in no way an expert in the septic field, just a long time user) if environmental friendly cleaning products would remedy that issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary