U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,012,918 times

Advertisements

I am all for growth,convenience, etc.. take Knightdale, every box store is moving in on 64 Business, Almost complete are Kohls, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, Dicks Sporting Goods, since that's the plan...where is my Harris Teeter???? When I am at my home in Knightdale, soon I won't have to leave the town to do any shopping, everything is right here. I can understand both points of view, I love the convenience, you save gas, etc...but at what cost?? It's a shame to see box store after box store go up, clearing tree after tree, but will that change? probably not. so, on that note...I want a Harris Teeter in Knightdale... My opinion, only decent supermarket in Knightdale is Lowes Food and the Target has some grocery shopping options.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 03:02 PM

296 posts, read 534,540 times
Hmm...I think I see the OP's point. I love this area, but there are things here that irk me. The Triangle, in addition to being very spread out and car dependent, is quite balkanized as well. It's really unique...I've never seen a metro area as broken up as the Triangle in terms of identity. People in Chapel Hill do their thing, Durham likewise...Cary, Raleigh, etc. People have their own places to eat, grab a bottle of wine or loaf of bread, shop, etc., and find going anywhere out of that general space an inconvenience...there are exceptions I guess. People in Chapel Hill DO view Raleigh as the other side of the moon! We don't have a unified 4th of July fireworks display for the region like most large cities. I do know what you mean..someone could live inside the beltline and say "I'm not going ALL the way to North Raleigh for that!"...in reality they could be talking about something 10 minutes north of where that person might live.

Along with the territorial nature of the Triangle, it's also the auto dependency thing. I never disliked driving until I got here. Even the first couple of years here, I loved driving around checking out the area and sightseeing. Gas prices have obviously changed peoples attitudes/habits, but I eventually got REALLY tired of driving everywhere even before gas prices started to soar. It wears on you. Also (and this is just my opinion)Lack of a large urban center here kills me...you can drive 20-30 minutes and the payoff just isn't that great (whether it be Chapel Hill, Raleigh or Durham). If you don't want to be eating in the burbs on a Saturday night, however, that's what you need to do. I think driving in to Denver or some place like that might be more worth the trouble. I do see the lure in living in a downtown setting where you have close access to things. I can't afford that currently, though.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:05 PM

7,440 posts, read 14,550,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBean View Post
Thanks Waterboy...but I really am not generalizing as I mentioned earlier. I have lived here for a while, talk to a lot of neighbors, co-workers, parents of my kid's friends, etc, etc. and my opinion is based upon an overall reflection of their collective response to issues of inconvienience.

"Lamishra" mentioned above that driving from Central Cary to Briar Creek seems like "the other side of the world". THOSE are the types of comments that I hear a lot and to which I'm referring. A quick hop on 540 to Briar Creek from there seems like a no-brainer to me if you were looking for some nice shopping, perhaps a dinner with family, etc. To "dread" that drive is a very good representation of something that I hear quite often and I'm curious as to why this is so prevalent in the area.

I live in the southern portion of Cary and have friends that live in a new subdivision near Cary Park. They have been here much longer than we have and therefore, have had more time to get to know the area, good places to eat, good places to take the kids, etc, etc. Shortly after we moved here, we invited them over and because they admittedly don't go beyond the 3 mile square radius of their house, they had a horrible, horrible time with directions and it took them through parts of town they had never seen. They are from the North also and so this supports my point that this issue of inconvienience is not just reserved for those that have lived here for years.
The point is that I don't HAVE to drive 25 miles to find someplace nice to eat or shop in the triangle, so why would I want to waste time and money? The truth is that I hate driving, period. Even if it's 3 miles, I can't stand having to drive, so I will not prolong my agony by driving miles to Brier Creek when I don't need to. I've never even stepped foot in Triangle Towne Center because I have one mall a mile away, and another mall less than 10 miles away. There really is nothing over there that I can't find here (except my hairdresser, who I happened to follow from another location years ago). I've got enough to do without adding hours of driving on top of that. And I'm a Raleigh native, not a recent transplant.
We were in LA this summer and my BIL drove us to a restaurant an HOUR away after passing about 200 other places to eat on the way. I don't really get why anyone would want to do that unless it was some type of special occassion.

Last edited by lamishra; 08-25-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM

249 posts, read 440,268 times
I totally agree with you Harry! I moved down from DC and people up there have no problem driving 20-25 minutes to go visit friends or go out to dinner.

Down here, it is like pulling nails to get people to drive all the way out to NE Raleigh where we live. I feel like we are shunned because it takes us about 15-20 minutes to get to North Hills(depending on traffic) and 30 minutes or so to get to Cary.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 PM

118 posts, read 190,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
I totally agree with you Harry! I moved down from DC and people up there have no problem driving 20-25 minutes to go visit friends or go out to dinner.

Down here, it is like pulling nails to get people to drive all the way out to NE Raleigh where we live. I feel like we are shunned because it takes us about 15-20 minutes to get to North Hills(depending on traffic) and 30 minutes or so to get to Cary.
Yes...that's all I mean. It is just a strange phenomenon that I haven't quite figured out I come from Boston and like you, driving 30 minutes to a restaurant or to a friend's house was just not a big deal. Now, those same people that used to do that in New England are complaining about it now that they are here in the Triangle.

My wife and I got a babysitter a couple weeks ago and then drove into Chapel Hill for dinner. We'd been there during the day to walk around some and to check out UNC but hadn't been there at night so we decided that would be a cool thing to do. The next morning while out in the yard, I got talking to a neighbor who has lived in Cary for 8 years and has NEVER been to Chapel Hill and couldn't believe that my wife and I went "all the way there" just for dinner.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM

539 posts, read 1,677,800 times
I totally get this post. When we first moved here I had a friend that lived 7 or 8 miles away. She would always refer to me as being "across town"!! It was funny. "I was on your side of town today and thought about stopping by". "We tried that store but hate that it is across town". I'm not kidding when I say she lived an easy 8 to 10 minutes from me. I've had other experiences like that too. Not judging at all but it is funny to me.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,238,243 times
I'm having a hard time reconciling the OP to the fact that so many people choose to live in places like Clayton, Fuquay, etc. and commute to RTP.

Or maybe the fact that those people spend so much of their lives driving back and forth during the week means they don't want to spend what little free time they have driving all over?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM

9,074 posts, read 18,625,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I'm having a hard time reconciling the OP to the fact that so many people choose to live in places like Clayton, Fuquay, etc. and commute to RTP.

Or maybe the fact that those people spend so much of their lives driving back and forth during the week means they don't want to spend what little free time they have driving all over?
Exactly!

If anything I find that quite a few people "in the Triangle" will go out of their way to inconvenience themselves with longer daily drives if it means a larger house with a bigger lot with a smaller price tag. I don't necessarily agree with that line of thinking, but I don't have to. It is their right to choose that. It does however counter the point of the original post IMO.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,561,507 times
Interesting thread.
As a 5 1/2 year Cary resident, it surprises me how many relocators choose to live in a really small world. We have lived in both NW and SE Cary, and we have gotten familiar with most of our neighboring towns-shopping, restaurants, the many wonderful parks. It seems as if some people relocate and the minute they find the closest possible place to do/buy what they need to, they are finished exploring. We too have friends in the Cary Park area (we used to live up there) and you would think our new home in SE Cary was on MARS.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:44 PM

228 posts, read 351,812 times
I don't see how anyone living in Cary Park can get away with not moving more than three miles from home for decent shopping and eats. There's simply not that much around here yet! I like that it's not that built up (it's coming though), but we definitely have to drive to get to things. Harris Teeter and CVS are about all there is nearby. Oh, and there's that new Italian restaurant, Carini's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary