Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,639 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family (including three kids, a son age 15, daughter age 12, and a son age 5 -- so will need info on all levels of schools: elementary, middle, and high) will most likely be relocating to Holly Springs within the next six months (we've chosen this community for both its commuting location for my husband to an area southwest of Raleigh and its location in Wake County and being fairly close to Raleigh/Cary amenities). I'd love to get the following information about the Holly Springs area from people with kids who live there now and/or have recently investigated it:
1. Which neighborhoods are the most family friendly/community oriented -- lots of other kids for my kids to befriend, and close to schools, recreational activities, etc. Not interested in a place where people drive straight into their garages after work and into their "privacy fenced" home, barely glancing at their neighbors and instantly logging onto their home computer -- but rather a place where people are friendly and interested in getting to know each other and where kids and adults are out and about and there is a strong neighborhood organization/activities.
2. Which schools do people like/recommend at each level? I've read that some are year-round and some traditional calendars. How many high schools do Holly Springs kids feed into? I've seen a little about Holly Spring High and Middle Creek High - pros and cons of each? Are there more public high schools serving this town? Which schools do most people like and/or go to?
3. Which neighborhoods have the best amenities and/or are closest to amenities such as neighborhood pools, ball fields, and other recreation? We'd be happiest in a place where the kids can "hang out" at such places in the summer and make friends there.
4. Can anyone speak to there being a good ballet school within 30 minutes of Holly Springs (I've seen Triangle Dance Academy/Carolina Youth Ballet on the web but know nothing of their reputation)? My daughter is a fairly serious dancer and is on pointe. How about baseball opportunities? Soccer? Choral music?
Thanks -- I'd appreciate any and all insights and opinions on these things!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
I'd start out investigating Sunset Oaks, Sunset Ridge, and Wescott. If you can't find what you want in those 3 neighborhoods I'd be really surprised.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:50 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I'd start out investigating Sunset Oaks, Sunset Ridge, and Wescott. If you can't find what you want in those 3 neighborhoods I'd be really surprised.
This assumes that they are in the market for a house in the $350K+ price range. The OP did not mention their price range.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM

488 posts, read 1,554,304 times
I would be wary of HSMS and HSE.

HSMS just based on what's said on the N&O school site.

HSE Id be wary because they had the highest number of people opting out this year. Last year’s enrollment at HSES was 798. With 192 students opting out this year, that's nearly 24% or about 1 in 4 opting out.
http://www.newsobserver.com/content/...0809optout.pdf

Last edited by NCBoyMommy; 08-25-2008 at 01:59 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM

107 posts, read 480,401 times
Holly Springs School of Dance has good ballet classes.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This assumes that they are in the market for a house in the $350K+ price range. The OP did not mention their price range.
The three neighborhoods I mentioned fit the description of OP's listed priorities. If a price range had been offered I might have made different suggestions. Woodcreek and 12 Oaks look to have great amenities but they are not established yet.

As an aside-a family member lives in SO in a home he paid $270K for this year that is far from the smallest home in that neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:37 PM

65 posts, read 251,619 times
I would say the 3 neighborhoods would be Sunset Ridge, Sunset Oaks, Wescott. Sunset Ridge and Sunset Oaks share the same amenities: 3 resort style pool clubs, 6 tennis courts with active tennis pros, playgrounds, and golf if you choose to join. Wescott only has a pool which isn't very impressive.

If you move to Sunset Ridge your elementary child will be likely be assigned to Holly Springs Elementary for year round BUT If you opt out, your child will attend Holly Ridge Elementary. Middle school is Holly Ridge Middle which isn't as bad as people say it is. High School is HSE which apparently is already over capacity and it was built last year.

Sunset Oaks is a new community with small lots and tons of young children. Your older daughter might not like it as much as Sunset Ridge. Wescott has kids too but not nearly as many as Sunset Ridge (mainly due to the amenity package). Houses in Wescott are quite nice.

You'll have to get over the "people stay indoors" part. That's increasing just about everywhere. In the Carolina summer you'll find yourself indoors too. As far as soccer goes, Holly Springs has a very active parks & rec soccer program as well as challenge/travel soccer. Holly Springs also has a world class gymnastics facility owned and operated by Sonshine Gymnastics.

Holly Springs is a great town and growing by leaps and bounds. There are several newer neighborhoods sprouting up but I'm not familiar with them.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM

133 posts, read 331,292 times
You might also want to check out some of the neighborhoods that are very close by but in Cary such as the Park at West Lake and Jamison. Again, without knowing your price range, these may or may not be options for you the Park at West Lake has the benefit of being in Cary and receiving Cary town services, a great resort style pool and you can get in there for a good price.

The Kraft Family YMCA is a great place close to all of these suggestions and has a great soccer program and many other activities, camps, etc. West Lake is also close to Middle Creek which has a newly opened park that includes a disc golf course, a great playground for the kids, walking trails, etc.

This is a growing part of Wake County so I think you'll do great no matter what you choose.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:21 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
I would be wary of HSMS and HSE.

HSMS just based on what's said on the N&O school site.

HSE Id be wary because they had the highest number of people opting out this year. Last year’s enrollment at HSES was 798. With 192 students opting out this year, that's nearly 24% or about 1 in 4 opting out.
http://www.newsobserver.com/content/...0809optout.pdf
Most of the people who opted out did so because they wanted to move to a traditional calendar school. HSE is year round. My child attends there and this year she lost 5 of her immediate classmates because they had siblings that were entering MS or HS and they wanted all children to be on the same schedule. We have no complaints with the school and everyone around me has not expressed any complaints either. We live in Sunset Ridge. As mentioned we have a very active swim and tennis club as well as golf club which offers a social membership which many people belong to. They offer adult as well as childrens activities. The tennis club has a pretty extensive childrens program and they offer camps as well. So does the golf.

HRMS just replaced their principal and it seems to be putting some changes in place. I do think like MANY other schools in the WAKE district that the middle school has issues with bullying more than anything else. The new principal came from MIddle Creek a school which word has it is strong on discipline so rumor is that there are going to be some changes at the middle school. I now have one in HS at HSHS and can't give any personal accounts on the school as today was the first day. I will say that at the parent orientation all parties made their contact info readily available and seemed to express a very personal interest in communicating with parents and kids. My neighbors who HS'ers here are very happy with the school. As far as neighborly events here in Sunset Ridge there never seems to be a lack of those going on. Bunko groups, a plethora of children outside all the time. Porch meetings with neighbors and beer Block parties, weekend grill outs and the like. We have been here two years and have nothing but a great experience. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions I also would agree that Sunset Oaks, Jamison Park, Wescott are established neighborhoods to check out. A new neighborhood that looks to be very promising as far as homes and amenities go is the new neighborhood by John Weiland.......help me out here I am blanking on a name It is off Sunset Lake Rd. It will be a large neighborhood with club house, pools, tennis courts etc. It looks very nice! GL to you and your family on your move. Tell your kids, especially your 15 year old that he will be okay

Old 08-25-2008, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 24,639 times
Default Our price range

Oh yes -- a minor detail -- the price range.
Our price range would be $300K - $500K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary