Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,144,012 times

Advertisements

So many people have moved here from other states north west whatever that not being accepted in Wake county is an old somewhat dead issue. There will always be some people that dont like outsiders but this is rare. I am from NJ and have had no problems. There are sterotypes out there about NJ, NY can CAL people, some true but just realize you are not "there" but here and you will be fine.

I have about 5 familys in my 90 home development and they are all nice. The biggest thing that had to accept is that they had to "tone down" their driving.

WORD of ADVICE:
Check out the area, schools (year round, shuffling), crime, traffic, future growth planning and other issues. DO NOT just look at home price and a slower pace of life since they are both increasing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,665 times
We moved here from Sacramento in September. We love it here so far. The one thing I really miss is the opportunity to drive to Mendocino on a moments notice, but I'll get over it. The slower pace of life and getting away from everyone "keeping up with the Joneses" is what really attracted me. I wasn't born and raised in CA and never felt 100% comfortable there. Being closer to 99% of our family out here was a big factor. When the in-laws move out here from CA we'll have everyone who matters within driving distance. People are in general very courteous and helpful. Driving isn't like the Indy 500 which takes some getting used to and when they say there is a construction zone speed limit, follow it!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Oh yeah, an In 'n Out would be nice to have out here because that is the only fast food that is worthwhile. Good mexican is lacking too but we have yet to try one near our house that is supposedly good.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 28,678 times
How about music ?? I am not stereotyping ANYBODY or Raleigh for that matter, but do the majority of radio stations play Country music ?? I preferably would LOVE to hear a station that plays Blugrass, and Classic Country. I am not too "into" Modern Country. Seriously, because I don't know (have'nt been yet) do the clubs have "Country" nights for line dancing and more ??

Anybody from Cali who hated Country music find it quite tolwerable since moving to Raleigh ???

Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,632,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt949 View Post
How about music ?? I am not stereotyping ANYBODY or Raleigh for that matter, but do the majority of radio stations play Country music ?? I preferably would LOVE to hear a station that plays Blugrass, and Classic Country. I am not too "into" Modern Country. Seriously, because I don't know (have'nt been yet) do the clubs have "Country" nights for line dancing and more ??

Anybody from Cali who hated Country music find it quite tolwerable since moving to Raleigh ???
You are not going to have trouble finding a country music station you like. In fact that seems to be most of them.

(Which is why I went to Sirius....I don't care for country music and couldn't find a free station I liked down here.)

Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 28,678 times
So will I get any knocks on the door or weird looks in the neighborhood when I fire up the grill, knock back a couple of XX's (Dos Equis') dancing around the backyard in my "El Jefe" apron while jammin' Santana......."Oye como va, Mi ritmo"

Old 02-02-2007, 12:35 PM

54 posts, read 358,547 times
Maybe one of the Californians who made a ton of money on the sale of their house will come to RDU, buy a nice home on 3 acres and open an In and Out with the extra cash.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,769,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Oh yeah, an In 'n Out would be nice to have out here because that is the only fast food that is worthwhile. Good mexican is lacking too but we have yet to try one near our house that is supposedly good.
There's a place in Carrboro called Carrburritos, or something like that. I was pretty good. Good quality food. I really liked it and it rivals most you've probably experienced in L.A. I'm picky too.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:49 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,769,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Toes View Post
Maybe one of the Californians who made a ton of money on the sale of their house will come to RDU, buy a nice home on 3 acres and open an In and Out with the extra cash.
Can't happen. In 'n Out is family owned and don't franchise. Took forever for them to finally reach Vegas and Laughlin. However, if you ever want to experiment, there are many sites online that deconstructs how to make one. And I think you can still buy the buns from the local bakery that supplies the buns to In 'n Out that's located in either La Puente or El Monte or somewhere in the area.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Get Sirius or XM radio if you want a variety of music. Worth every penny IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary