U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM

819 posts, read 2,331,843 times

Advertisements

Guys,

Does anyone know of any Kosher or Hal-Hal Butcher shops in the Triangle? I am looking to purchase meats like lamb, goat, oxtail, and even fresh killed chicken. Does anyone know of anywhere like that especially in or near Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 PM

104 posts, read 341,330 times
You can order kosher meat from Atlanta or Charlotte but there are no kosher butchers in NC as far as I know. I think both of the places in Atlanta and Charlotte are just intermediaries themselves. Can't speak for Halal.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM

90 posts, read 242,122 times
I believe there is a Halal store in Chatham square in Cary. I've never been to it, but some people we know recommended it.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 22,434,611 times
There's a Halal grocery store on Hillsborough street near Meredith College (across from Waffle House ), but I'm not sure if they actually butcher the meat there are just sell Halal meat.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,281,895 times
An earlier thread on this subject mentioned Sabra Kosher in Durham, but when I checked their web site it looks like they may not be operating anymore. Kosher Butcher in Raleigh?

Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,101,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
An earlier thread on this subject mentioned Sabra Kosher in Durham, but when I checked their web site it looks like they may not be operating anymore. Kosher Butcher in Raleigh?
Sadly, they didn't last long at all. Their website has said for a long time now that they're going to offer on-line sales. I suppose the OP could try writing to them or giving them a call to see if they're ready to do that yet.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,906,227 times
I think Around the World Market off of Chatham sells Halal meat.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 PM

282 posts, read 748,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sadly, they didn't last long at all. Their website has said for a long time now that they're going to offer on-line sales. I suppose the OP could try writing to them or giving them a call to see if they're ready to do that yet.
I have to say, unfortunately this store wasnt too hot anyway - we went a couple of times and then decided to leave it. I wouldnt be too confident in ordering from them online based on the quality of their stuff in the store

Havent found another one yet either...

Old 11-06-2008, 06:18 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,281,895 times
I just discovered that there is a Halal meat processor in Chatham County, Chaudhry Halal Meats. They opened in April. I don't think they sell retail; it looks like they are primarily selling to Weaver Street Market and doing processing for small growers. However, if you contact them maybe they could give you some hints where to buy.

Growing Small Farms: Open House for Chaudhry Halal Poultry Processing Plant

Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM

836 posts, read 3,158,822 times
THe place with halal meats across from Meredith is called Al-Baraka. I don't think they butcher, but have a great assortment of meats and other items. I haven't bought meat there, so can specifically recommend it, but see others buying meat there so it must be fine. Me, I go there cause they roast their own nuts and have the best almonds in town, as well as the most amazing dried apricots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary