U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:29 AM

225 posts, read 883,196 times

Advertisements

This morning I just happened to be on one of my favorite web sites about parenting/children, etc.... and they always have a side bar to check your states sex offenders. As a mother of 4, I'll check about once or twice a year.

Well, I was shocked to find out that there is one living right across the street from the home we are leasing!!!! He served time for: "14-202 indecent liberty minor" I'm just hoping that the owner of our rental did not know this prior to renting to us knowing we had children.

The last time he gave the address as his most recent was about 6 mon. ago, however, I have never seen him or anyone else come/go from the home (someone is living there though)---even though I have met all my other neighbors on all sides of us. The only other neighbor currently with children is a single father who gets his boys on weekend visits--so I feel like I need to inform him about the information I just found.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:33 AM

134 posts, read 512,430 times
Sorry to hear about that!

Would you care to share the web site you are using?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmarie View Post
This morning I just happened to be on one of my favorite web sites about parenting/children, etc.... and they always have a side bar to check your states sex offenders. As a mother of 4, I'll check about once or twice a year.

Well, I was shocked to find out that there is one living right across the street from the home we are leasing!!!! He served time for: "14-202 indecent liberty minor" I'm just hoping that the owner of our rental did not know this prior to renting to us knowing we had children.

The last time he gave the address as his most recent was about 6 mon. ago, however, I have never seen him or anyone else come/go from the home (someone is living there though)---even though I have met all my other neighbors on all sides of us. The only other neighbor currently with children is a single father who gets his boys on weekend visits--so I feel like I need to inform him about the information I just found.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Sorry to hear about that!

Would you care to share the web site you are using?

Thank you!

http://ncregistry.ncsbi.gov/(S(ysye3jzibyhnhm45iy33z3ap))/Default.aspx (broken link)

Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,139,804 times
He already served his time, and you don't know any details about his case, so you should just carry on and do your job as a parent. There are many dangers in the world, both known and unknown. Don't let your kids outside without watching them if they are under 8 or 9 years old for boys and 11 or 12 for girls. Teach them how to be wary of their surroundings and not to speak to strangers. Also, remember that many of these "Indecency with minor" cases involve a 20 year old guy and his 17 year old girlfriend, probably in love, and the 17 year old girl's parents hated the guy so they called the police and got him thrown in jail for a "sex offense". Unless you know the exact circumstances of a case, you shouldn't overreact.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,405,482 times
Remember, there are no electrified fences between our neighborhoods! It is likely that an offender would get in the car & travel a bit... so you cannot feel safe just because an offender is not next door!
I agree with Tarp, too, it is hard to tell if the offense was consensual or a more of an assault.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,549,226 times
Interesting site! I did a quick search:

Cary 37
Holly Springs 10
Wake Forest 22
Raleigh 1412
Durham 235
Chapel Hill 25
Apex 21

Old 02-02-2007, 02:36 PM

Yeah, I agree Tarp & NYer with what your saying & I'm not one to overreact normally, but, it's still distrubing as a mother to see a sex offender not only on your street, but, living right accross from you.

Yes, I don't know the circumstances--but, he is 50 & it happened in '03 so, i'm thinking it wasn't a 20yr old guy & his girl friend situation. Anyways, my kids will be told the situation & at least I can show them his picture.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 71,808 times
Default GO to this website

www.FamilyWatchDog.us
When you visit this site you can enter your address and a map will pop
up with your house as a small icon of a house. There will be red, blue
and green dots surrounding your entire neighborhood.

When you click on these dots a picture of a criminal will appear with
his or her home address and the description of the crime he or she has
committed.

The best thing is that you can show your children these pictures and see
how close these people live to your home or school.

This site was developed by John Walsh from Americas Most Wanted. This is
another tool we can use to help us keep our kids safe.

This site does work - it's scary!!!
As a parent I felt that it is imperative to pass this on to everyone who has concerns about their children's safety!!

Old 02-02-2007, 07:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 6,844,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Interesting site! I did a quick search:

Cary 37
Holly Springs 10
Wake Forest 22
Raleigh 1412
Durham 235
Chapel Hill 25
Apex 21
For those wondering why Raleigh's looks so astronomical, do note that if the person is currently in prison, it will use the prison's address, and count them in the search. And Central Prison is of course, in Raleigh.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,727,952 times
Thank you for that website. I as the mother of 2 do not think you are overreacting in the least. You aren't out picketing his house or putting "sex offender" signs in his yard! You are simply upset that a 50 year old man possibly still living across the street was convicted of a sex crime. Serving time does not necessarily "heal" sex offenders so whether or not he has "done his time" has no bearing on how you should react to this information. It is completely ignorant to believe those who commit sex crimes are rehabilitated once they "serve their time". I, like you, would be upset at these findings. Those who are not mothers probably wouldn't understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary