Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,385,948 times

Advertisements

My daughter has a NYC learner's permit and she could not drive in the state of North Carolina. It's only vailid in New York. You will be in big trouble driving on the streets with a out of town permit. Just like you, we have to go through the classes and down to DMV to take the vision/sign test to be issue a graduated license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Call DMV or the State highway Patrol to confirm the validity of an NY learner's permit in NC. The manual I quoted wasn't too clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
My daughter has a NYC learner's permit and she could not drive in the state of North Carolina. It's only vailid in New York. You will be in big trouble driving on the streets with a out of town permit. Just like you, we have to go through the classes and down to DMV to take the vision/sign test to be issue a graduated license.
When we traveled we were told my son's learner's permit was valid everywhere. The same as if you had a license in one state and may travel to othere states with that license.

Maybe the problem comes after you relocate to another state??

Old 06-08-2009, 07:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,737,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I would have to disagree with you on that one. We have lived here for a year and my son still has a NY Learners Permit during that time. We were told by the NC DMV, AND a NC State Trooper that his permit is valid in NC (thanks to saturnfan for suggesting I talk to both of them). He is also in the process of going through driver training with Jordan Driving School so that he can eventually get his drivers license, and they didn't have a problem with it either. Of course he's not happy as a 17 year old to be taking driver training with a bunch of 8th graders, but NC requires driver training to get your license. According to what we were told by NC DMV, once he completes driver training, he'll be able to immediately get his license because he's already been driving on the permit for well over a year. Normally, you have to go a year after you get your permit in NC, but they don't give you the permit until you complete driver training. We'll find out soon because he's finishing up "behind the wheel" this week, and then we'll be back at DMV for the license testing.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Glad it helped. My daughter used to work at DMV HQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary