Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM

113 posts, read 155,677 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:13 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I, too, grew up in a neighborhood where we cut through yards and visited friends through backdoors and everyone used everyone else's swingsets and outdoor toys -- as long as they were friends or family. (People in 5 of the homes within two short blocks were my relatives, and others were as close as family.) If people didn't want you in their yards, though, they would make it known, and we would respect that.

Years ago, I spent 2 months in Europe, and I stayed in a small German town, Idar-Oberstein. Idar-Oberstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The town was designed sort of like a bowl, with the "downtown" at the bottom of the bowl, and homes and apartments along the sides of the bowl. Instead of having to walk all around the "bowl" to find a street to get downtown, they designed it so that there were concrete staircases a couple of places in between the residences, sort of as shortcuts. It made so much sense. It was 180 steps to town, and we walked them a couple times a day.

I've often thought that there are many neighborhoods that would have benefited from such a great design option. It certainly would have been more environmentally friendly because you could walk to a destination instead of drive.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 AM

120 posts, read 498,277 times
My neighbors used to do that until they had an encounter with my 100 pound dog. Then they started walking across MY neighbors yard to avoid him =)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 AM

789 posts, read 1,991,344 times
I agree that you need to speak up and go out each time you see someone doing it and ask them to stop. Take it a step further and ask that they turn around and go around this time too; don't just let them go the rest of the way. You can mention that you have dogs and you don't want them to get hurt by the dogs. We have neighbors that use the underground electric fence things and they tell anyone that steps on their property to go back the way they came, because the dogs have roam of the property and the people are trespassing.

The other thing that drives me really nuts is people walking into your garage. I don't mind my neighbors doing it, but we've had solicitors and other strangers walk into our garage and knock on our garage door. Um, you've actually just walked INTO my house... that just floors me. I don't care what they want or why they're there, I just ask them to immediately leave my property.

Some people have a lot of gall. On the 4th we had people park in the driveway of a vacant home for sale and start setting off fireworks. Within 12 feet of our cars and children. I was furious and told them to pack up and ship out or I was calling the cops. Sorry for the rant.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM

214 posts, read 695,002 times
When I walk through people's yards I just walk right along the property line, and walk sideways, like a crab, trying to make myself real skinny. And I hop a lot. That way I am just barely on their yard, if at all.

And about this whole confusion about whether to go to the front door or back door - I avoid this simply by just going up to a house and peering through a side window until they notice me and then they can invite me in through whichever door or window they prefer.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM

91 posts, read 308,386 times
getting a white belt, a pair of white shoes and yelling "You kids get offa my lawn!" seems to work

Old 07-10-2009, 10:04 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I can't believe the gall of people who trespass, either.

Last year, a guy was snooping around the house next door, which was vacant at the time. He was looking in the windows, trying the door, etc. I opened my door and politely asked, "May I help you?" He looked at me and scoffed, "What!? Do YOU OWN this house or something?!"

I was so happy to say, "Yes, we DO own it!" (as if that mattered). His tone changed, and he said he thought it was foreclosed (it wasn't) and would have been interested in buying it. Yeah, whatever.

I think all homeowners should have a "No Solicitors" sign in their windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
The other thing that drives me really nuts is people walking into your garage. I don't mind my neighbors doing it, but we've had solicitors and other strangers walk into our garage and knock on our garage door. Um, you've actually just walked INTO my house... that just floors me. I don't care what they want or why they're there, I just ask them to immediately leave my property.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I am more concerned about the liability with the kids cutting through my yard. I don't even have children, so why should I have to put up with kids in my yard. Sorry, fence or no fence, people, kids, dogs, don't belong in my yard, period. If a child falls or gets hurt, you know the parents will be at my door with an attorney. It's all about courtesy and respect for others, if you were not raised that way, how do you think you will be able to communicate with the parents of these children??? Anyways, that's my $0.02.

I agree with Vicki as far as pets are concerned. I have a small shih-tzu and he stays in his own yard, I NEVER walk him on someone elses grass/yard, that is respect. I had one neighbor who walked her dog and would NOT clean up after the dog. I told her several times to clean up the pet waste. I am not cleaning up after anyone, sorry. I have my own dog I clean up after. Well after several days of this going on, I picked up the poop in a Target grocery bag and left it on her front stoop. She never walked the dog in my yard again. It's sad that common courtesy and respect is not shown, even in your own neighborhood.

North, South, East, West, it doesn't matter, it's boils down to courtesy and respect. Plain and simple! As a child, if I did anything I have witnessed in my neighborhood or read about on these posts, I would not be here today typing this.

Okay, I am done with my rant. Thanks

Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I am more concerned about the liability with the kids cutting through my yard. ... If a child falls or gets hurt, you know the parents will be at my door with an attorney.
Wow, have we really come to the point that we're afraid to let someone walk across our yard for fear that they're going to sue us? Do you blockade your front steps so guests don't try to get to your front door and potentially trip on the way up?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I like your humor and the answer is No to the second part of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Wow, have we really come to the point that we're afraid to let someone walk across our yard for fear that they're going to sue us? Do you blockade your front steps so guests don't try to get to your front door and potentially trip on the way up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary