Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

I must admit I've been a little slack getting prepared for this weekend’s weather. I’m just curious where I stand with regards to the rest of the city-data faithful. How are you preparing?

I plan on putting the patio furniture and the garbage can in my garage tonight. As far as supplies go, I have a candle, a radio, and a bottle of wine. I'm either poorly prepared for a hurricane or halfway prepared for a romantic dinner.

I'm not going to go crazy, but I do think I might pick up a few extra items this evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 03:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Nope, we're good!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
I'm mostly ready in case of the hurricane. Tomorrow evening, I'll bring inside everything I can that may be blown around - umbrella on the deck, bird feeders, and so on. The last thing I want is for something to be blown through one of my windows!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

116 posts, read 265,806 times
Prepare for what? It doesn't look like much more than a possibility of a few showers.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 PM

836 posts, read 3,469,921 times
Ditto

Old 09-04-2008, 04:16 PM

108 posts, read 559,720 times
Does not look like it will amount to more than a little wind and some rain, nothing major. No prep for me. I'd be more worried about Ike but it looks like Florida is going to get that one....

Old 09-04-2008, 04:39 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I'm mostly ready in case of the hurricane. Tomorrow evening, I'll bring inside everything I can that may be blown around - umbrella on the deck, bird feeders, and so on. The last thing I want is for something to be blown through one of my windows!
Yup same thing with us. We will remove the outside stuff. If the storm shifts west then the potential for tornados exist. And plus after being through a few of these, those wind gusts even in regular storms can cause damage to outside stuff that is loose. Our hurricane kit has been ready all season. And so far looks like we might not need it.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM

100 posts, read 242,972 times
Technically speaking, everyone should have a backpack or duffel bag or something already prepared so they can either get out of town quick if needing to evacuate, or survive at home without the need of a grocery store, power, etc..etc...

Personally, I have two backpacks stocked with everything from about a weeks worth of clothes, 6+ weeks worth of MRE's / Mainstay bars, featherlite camp stove and nearly a gallon of white gas, cooking/cleaning gear, bathroom toiletries, matches, candles, zippo lighter with extra flints / wicks / fuel, treated water in nalgene bottles, msr hyperflow water filter, tents, sleeping bags, plastic sheets, duct tape, first-aid kits, knives, saws, ropes, gloves, dynomo-radio-flashlight, fishing rods n' tackle, boy scout handbook, ammo and tons of other survival gear and knowledge.

I'm an Eagle Scout and always prepared. Especially after the last 8 years.

As for this weekend storms...think I might fluff my pillow and get some extra sleep...

Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
I'll get some extra water and flashlight batteries just in case...also will restock my storm junk food supply

I'm in an apartment complex so I don't have much outside but will store my herb plants in the storage closet.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,206 times
I was actually wowing about how prepared bull_city_original is. I'll bet the people in Homestead (Miami) would have laughed about that list before Hurricane Andrew destroyed civilisation as they knew it.

Hurricane Ivan blew off my entire roof - yes, my entire roof, not a few shingles - and there was no electricity in my area for over a *month*. Some of the unluckier folks a little farther down from me did not get electricity back for up to three months.

I was living on a farm in Jamaica at that time, so we actually had most of the sort of things the bull talked about. because of flooding, we were trapped in our roofless house for almost a week. It was pretty awful.

I have to say that I'm not terribly worried about Hanna, but Bull is no fool! Bull will be the one everyone turns to when a disaster happens.

:-)
Jenny

Last edited by autumngal; 09-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: quote you were referring to has been removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary