U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,846,656 times
Default a labor of love

I do my own yard/lawn maint. myself. I also love to garden and find it therapeutic to work outside. I have a .25 acre lot, which is not huge but not small either. The yard is a work in progress, I am only in the house a little over a year, so the front and sides were sodded, some flower beds and shrubs up front, 1 tree in front, but my backyard needs help, but it also takes $$$ to do...so a little at a time, the backyard will eventually look nice. Many will say I have OCD and like perfection...everything has it's place. I enjoy all aspects of my home both inside as well as the outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM

3,399 posts, read 5,821,489 times
I enjoy working in the yard, but not when getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Ugh! I'm considering hiring someone to do my yardwork, not because of the mosquitoes (well, maybe partly) but mostly because I just don't have time. Work is kicking my butt, and I really want to relax on the weekends. I'll have to see how things go in the next month or so, since I've *almost* got my old house on the market (tons of yardwork there as well, including my zoysia sod which could be a full-time job in itself).

Old 09-05-2008, 07:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,383,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I do my own yard/lawn maint. myself. I also love to garden and find it therapeutic to work outside. I have a .25 acre lot, which is not huge but not small either. The yard is a work in progress, I am only in the house a little over a year, so the front and sides were sodded, some flower beds and shrubs up front, 1 tree in front, but my backyard needs help, but it also takes $$$ to do...so a little at a time, the backyard will eventually look nice. Many will say I have OCD and like perfection...everything has it's place. I enjoy all aspects of my home both inside as well as the outside.
I agree about enjoying the home both inside and outside. After living under an umbrella in Seattle for decades, the outside of my home will get as much, if not more attention then the inside! I go outside here in NC, just for the sake of being outside and nothing else. I love it! Try sitting inside for weeks under clouds and rain. This is great! A storm comes by and lasts 24 hours, oh boy!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 PM

847 posts, read 2,275,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
I've always envied those who find it therapeutic to do yard work. I just find it more therapeutic to sit outside and sip on a cold one. To each his (or her) own!
Ah, but after a bit of work in the yard, that cold one is reaalllly therapeutic.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 PM

7,172 posts, read 13,494,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
I've always envied those who find it therapeutic to do yard work. I just find it more therapeutic to sit outside and sip on a cold one. To each his (or her) own!
My sentiments exactly.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 AM

4,845 posts, read 9,641,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
Ah, but after a bit of work in the yard, that cold one is reaalllly therapeutic.
After? My lawn tractor has a cup holder

Old 09-07-2008, 06:10 AM

1,234 posts, read 1,596,650 times
We did our own yardwork for years until recently when the kids soccer schedules started killing our weekends. :-)

Things grow SO fast down here and the growing season is the better part of 9 months. I swear, the ground never froze last winter (well...maybe for a week or two) so stuff just kept growing! If you don't keep up with trimming, raking, edging, weeding your yard, it will quickly take over and can grow faster than you can whack the forest back! No wonder the real estate agent thought we were nuts when we said we wanted 1+ acre and back up to fall's lake. Now I understand why folks want houses with small yards...so they can have more time to enjoy their weekends.

We now have had a guy come and trim, mow, chemicals & overseed/aerate and it is a luxury we will try to hang onto forever!

We realized that having a service gives us time to spend enjoying, planting and doing fun projects in the yard rather than killing us with all the maintenance and making us a slave to the yard. and of course, we can spend hours at soccer and then come back, kick off the shoes and enjoy the deck with a chilled cocktail and enjoy the lovely yard instead of being annoyed at the work to be done.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 AM

108 posts, read 334,093 times
For some people, time itself is a commodity - so when it comes down to yard maintenance and landscaping and a choice has to be made between spending time with the kids or taking day trips with the family or boating on the lake or anything else they prefer to do, many times they will have someone do the work for them. Sometimes the demands of their job leave them little or no time for yardwork but still want to have a nice, landscaped yard.

I have many clients that are in that situation - many even like to do their own but just do not have time. Or just the cost of doing a particular job when you do not have the equipment is close to what you would pay. Take aeration for example, to rent an aerator and buy the seed and fertilizer you need will cost the average homeowner around $140-$150....or you can pay a landscaper with all the equipment and wholesale suppliers around $200 and sit back and enjoy the day...many people will pay the extra just to be able to enjoy their time...

Old 09-07-2008, 10:07 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,802,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
Al, I'm sorry you are not in my neighborhood... I have an edger that I LOVE to use! I used to edge the neighbors' lawns when we lived in Michigan! I've not been bold enough to ask any of my current neighbors if I could "edge" their driveways...
Oh, go ahead, ask me (also in SW Durham!)!!

The house we bought had the yard in neglect for at least 20 years. We've been chipping away at things and it's much improved, but boy, what a job it is!!

Doesn't help when those darn moles get in the yard and start tunneling all over the darn place! And the clay is really like dealing with rocks when it's dry.

I love living here, but I long for a yard with good 'ol black Midwestern dirt in it!!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 AM

2,560 posts, read 3,446,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I do all the yard work and, on occasion, let the husband help
You have a GORGEOUS lawn and landscaping. I wish you lived next to me. I would pay you to continue your 'hobby' on my yard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary