Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 05:20 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Sometimes law enforcement is the only way to protect other children and staff.

Many years ago, my daughter and her schoolmates had to routinely wallop wrongly mainstreamed students to keep them under control. These violent students terrorized the younger students in her elementary school and staff was afraid to intervene.
The problem in most schools now is they won't call law enforcement even when they should. There are unfortunately kids that take advantage, knowing the school is going to do everything possible to cover up the situation. I like my kids school but assaults have happened without much recourse for the victims.

I don't want to go into a heated debate here,but mainstreaming special needs students IMO has really hurt the classroom. Many friends of mine have children on the spectrum or other developmental delays who are beyond frustrated that their children aren't getting the specialized care and instruction they need. I don't feel it's possible in a public school mainstream classroom. Maybe certain classes but all day isn't working .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
The problem in most schools now is they won't call law enforcement even when they should. There are unfortunately kids that take advantage, knowing the school is going to do everything possible to cover up the situation. I like my kids school but assaults have happened without much recourse for the victims.

I don't want to go into a heated debate here,but mainstreaming special needs students IMO has really hurt the classroom. Many friends of mine have children on the spectrum or other developmental delays who are beyond frustrated that their children aren't getting the specialized care and instruction they need. I don't feel it's possible in a public school mainstream classroom. Maybe certain classes but all day isn't working .
You are so right. This country has deteriorated into calling everything a "challenge" and not accepting the truth.

Now, years ago, special needs children were routinely dumped into "opportunity" classes where they were warehoused. Now, the pendulum has gone way to far the other way.

Children who are physically unable to behave or who choose to behave like hooligans need placement in psychiatric or correctional facilities, not mainstreamed into regular classes.

Some parents just cannot accept the truth "Gee sergeant. my son/daughter could never have done that".

Old 06-08-2015, 05:57 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
In my son's case there was no violence; he just said inappropriate things, so he ended up in ISS, with no work to do and crackers and water for lunch.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
In my son's case there was no violence; he just said inappropriate things, so he ended up in ISS, with no work to do and crackers and water for lunch.
Totally wrong handling by the school IMHO. Can a therapist assist him in conforming to standards of behavior?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 44,339 times
Saturn Fan,that is the most idiotic thing I have ever read! Corporal punishment has been outlawed for decades. But besides that, a child with behavioral issues needs to have behavior taught to her/him just like any school subject (that's the IDEA Law, by the way!) -- so are you saying that your own child should be walloped for not getting a math problem correct?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:07 AM

27 posts, read 44,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra.lugg View Post
Are you still in Wake county? has anything changed? We are about to move to Wake Forest this summer. I have 2 children with autism who needs services. After reading these post I am very concerned about this move. I would appreciate any information on the high school program.
Thanks,
Sandra
DON"T MOVE TO WAKE COUNTY or Chapel Hill/ Carrboro School Districts (we call it Chapel HELL!/ Carrboro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

LOOK AT NC DISABILITY RIGHTS cases against the WAKE County Public Schools.
IT"S REALLY BAD IN CHAPEL HILL.Just less kids, so less bad stories, but that doesn't change the discrimination that goes on here.

THIS IS NOT THE STATE FOR GETTING SERVICES> I can tell you story upon story of just how sick and evil it is here. I believe some staff are mentally ill. At the least, discrimination!

If you have to move for work reasons, the only practical option is homeschooling. It's very easy to form your own homeschool here (Department of non-public instruction website).

Then you can apply to Disability Grants and they will reimburse you up to 6000 per school year per child for private therapists and homeschool supplies. It is now a grant, not a tax credit.

DON"T MOVE TO NC!! staff don't have the mentality of helping the disabled. It is shocking.

I wish someone had told me: DON"T MOVE TO NORTH CAROLINA!

They are not kind or compassionate in the least. But they know how to put on a syrupy tone for you and for the authorities that might condemn them. It's very two-faced.

DON"T MOVE TO NC!

Go further North -- New York or Massachusetts. You don't need to worry about the cold weather -- you need good schools for your two children! Rural areas still have good schools, lower cost of living than Wake Forest, for sure, and the school staff will be supportive to your children with disabilities. Take a FL vacation every winter, you'll have so much extra earnings and peace of mind just by living in a better school district for your children. No matter what, it is going to be better than the garbage they will serve you here!

The mentality is different down here -- The schools do not like helping kids with disabilities to learn -- they think that the children can not learn/ just need to be punished for "behaviors"

Yes, there are stories of abuse everywhere, but down here in NC it is going to be day to day, every day abuse.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:31 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Totally wrong handling by the school IMHO. Can a therapist assist him in conforming to standards of behavior?
He did see a therapist for various issues but as I said the high school was totally unable to accomodate him so he was home-schooled. With his learning issues, espcially in math, it was SO much easier. There was no wasted time and there are some very active homeschooling groups in Wake County so plenty of socialization.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianmama View Post
Saturn Fan,that is the most idiotic thing I have ever read! Corporal punishment has been outlawed for decades. But besides that, a child with behavioral issues needs to have behavior taught to her/him just like any school subject (that's the IDEA Law, by the way!) -- so are you saying that your own child should be walloped for not getting a math problem correct?
I told his first grade teacher to feel free to smack his butt if he kept goofing off in first grade. He has no special issues but tended to buzz off and disregard his classwork.

My Dad was an army sergeant and gave it me if I screwed up.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
He did see a therapist for various issues but as I said the high school was totally unable to accomodate him so he was home-schooled. With his learning issues, espcially in math, it was SO much easier. There was no wasted time and there are some very active homeschooling groups in Wake County so plenty of socialization.
Glad you could help him.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:15 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianmama View Post
I wish someone had told me: DON"T MOVE TO NORTH CAROLINA!
And why are you still here, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary