U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 16,931 times

Advertisements

Hello! everyone, my name is Yaneth, and I`m planning to move from CT to NC, this summer, and I have so many doubts, I know Wake county is the best place, but the schools have year round calendar, and it doesn`t work for me, so I want to move close the wake county, there is few importants things for me, first about schools: quality, safe.... I want to move to a safe city, I need to know too, whats the school bus company that serves clayton schools, even the address or phone number, I`m planning to visit clayton on february 19, but is hard to know what street or subdivision is good or not, and I don`t want to trust only on what the real state told me.

I have been looking on internet, and I found a lot of nice houses at good prices, but they are located close to clayton High School, even a few ones on the same streets, like Lombard St. so I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this area, I really want to know if this is a good place to live, and why are there so many houses on sale. I would like to know too if you have to choose between Clayton or Greensboro, which is the best choice. Thank you very much for your help. I`m a school bus driver, mother of a 4 year old boy with autism, and a 11 y-old girl, looking for a better place to raise my kids.
Is there enough jobs available??
Again, I will really aprecciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
yaneth,
The North Carolina Public Schools provide the bussing, I believe, so the drivers work for the schools. If I'm not mistaken.
It seems to me that you will need to get into a location where there is support for your 4 year old.
You will find great schools in much of Wake County. I can't tell you about Clayton/Johnston County schools.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:12 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,490,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanecita View Post
Hello! everyone, my name is Yaneth, and I`m planning to move from CT to NC, this summer, and I have so many doubts, I know Wake county is the best place, but the schools have year round calendar, and it doesn`t work for me, so I want to move close the wake county, there is few importants things for me, first about schools: quality, safe.... I want to move to a safe city, I need to know too, whats the school bus company that serves clayton schools, even the address or phone number, I`m planning to visit clayton on february 19, but is hard to know what street or subdivision is good or not, and I don`t want to trust only on what the real state told me.

I have been looking on internet, and I found a lot of nice houses at good prices, but they are located close to clayton High School, even a few ones on the same streets, like Lombard St. so I was wondering if there is anything wrong with this area, I really want to know if this is a good place to live, and why are there so many houses on sale. I would like to know too if you have to choose between Clayton or Greensboro, which is the best choice. Thank you very much for your help. I`m a school bus driver, mother of a 4 year old boy with autism, and a 11 y-old girl, looking for a better place to raise my kids.
Not all schools in Wake County are year around...just do your homework. And I know there always seems to be a shortage of bus drivers for the school system.... from the web site I found this:

http://www.wcpss.net/perl/job_listings/job_lister.pl

Transportation
Bus Driver (various locations)
Sam White
854-1687
Start: Immediately
Bus Driver Scale

Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM

42 posts, read 149,110 times
We just returned from our third visit to the Triangle, and I just want to say that although we originally thought Cary would be the place for us, we are now seriously considering Clayton. My advice is that you call the schools regarding the special needs of your kids. Talk to them directly to get your answers. Don't just rely on what you read here, or even on your Realtor's opinion. You really can't know unless you get it "straight from the horse's mouth"!

Regarding the number of homes for sale... we found that to be the case everywhere we looked, from Clayton to Cary to Wake Forest, etc. In Clayton, Flowers Plantation appears to be an affordable family community (and you pay only County real estate taxes, not City). We really like the Glen Laurel subdivision (but darnit, we'd pay both County AND City taxes there!). Riverwood is another large community, with both an Elementary and Middle School on site.

I know it's a lot to consider. We're considering uprooting our family for the move, too. We've lived in the Sacramento area all of our lives, so this is huge to us. We've been nearly 2 years in the "research and praying process." I wish you the best in your decision of where to move.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 21,726 times
Default Clayton is a Great Area

Clayton is a great place to live is growing like crazy however they aren't going to the year around schedule. The schools in Clayton are also very good/

It depends on the price range you are looking for. Clayton has a lot to offer. Only 2 hour from the beach, 20 mintues to downtown Raleigh, and about 45 minutes the RTp

Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 AM

850 posts, read 3,335,703 times
We moved to Clayton from NJ (rented in Cary while we house hunted). We also thought Cary and similar areas were going to be where we moved but we fell in love with Clayton.

The school system is fabulous...I really can't stop oozing about how much I love the elementary school here (River Dell). We had such a bad experience with the 6 months my son had in Cary Elementary...the school was so rigid and focused on punishment rather than working to set the children up to succeed. River Dell is amazing and has school wide systems of rewarding good behavior (and health....like healthy snacks, running 1/4 mile a day, etc). My son is excelling in this school (2nd grade).

Lombard is a pretty main road...I wouldn't recommend buying there. Basically its what 42 changes into once you crossover 70. Lombard takes you to Clayton's Main Street which is quaint and nice.

The school site for Johnston county is;
http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us

I know the school system is in need of help, we have gotten notices home about working for the school system as a sub teacher and otherwise. My next door neighbor who has 2 kids in River Dell started today actually, working at a local high school cafeteria. And there are busses all over the place here because districting changed and kids were grandfathered in to the schools they were attending while new students go to the new districted school (river dell for my area).

You really need to get here and look around but I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you might have about the Clayton area.
Lauren

Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,176 times
Default Home for sale in NC -Raleigh area

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanecita View Post

My home is currently on the market. It is located in Johnston County, Clayton/Cleveland schools. We live on a quiet cul de sac that is less than a mile from the Wake county line, and is very convenient for shopping, access to the expressway, etc. We are from New York and love this area, we are just moving to another home further out. You get more house for your money, and taxes are much less here than Wake county or if you are in Clayton city limits (which Lombard st. is). What size home are you looking for? Our home is 2600 sq. feet, only lived in two years - it's practically new! Most homes are going for about $100/sq. ft., but we are negotiable. For pics, if interested, check out wieland properties online or realtor.com. 82 Galloway Dr., Garner, NC. MLS 910982
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary