Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: North Carolina, downtown, condo, buy a house, safe area, downtown.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 AM

119 posts, read 200,736 times

Advertisements

My wife and I lived in SW Durham (not far from Woodcroft and Hope Valley Farms) and recently moved to far North Raleigh (above 540, the outer beltline). We liked SW Durham for the convenience of shopping, dining, and commuting (though it's getting tougher to get around with the increasing local traffic). And there are some good neighborhoods (we liked Woodcroft but hated the massive powerlines running through it). But when we were looking to move out of our starter home, we couldn't find homes or neighborhoods in Durham that we liked.

In contrast, north Raleigh had tons of beautiful neighborhoods with more unique and well-cared-for homes. The neighborhoods are more established, leafier, and greener, and getting around north Raleigh is easy, if more spread out. So for us the trade-off was a nicer area but somewhat less convenience. Probably a pretty typical trade-off. If convenience is more important for you, and you can find areas you like in Durham, then that's probably the best choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM

405 posts, read 1,766,403 times
I disagree with the suggestion about holding off on Woodlake unless you're looking over $300K. The vast majority of homes in the neighborhood are WELL under this price point.

I will be selling MY Woodlake home in Jan/Feb, and it will probably be priced around $200; $210K at the most. The "pricey" part of the neighborhood consists of the larger homes immediately surrounding the lake. Everything else is much cheaper and more entry level. I would definitely include Woodlake in my search if I were looking in a lower price range.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmod View Post
My wife and I lived in SW Durham (not far from Woodcroft and Hope Valley Farms) and recently moved to far North Raleigh (above 540, the outer beltline). We liked SW Durham for the convenience of shopping, dining, and commuting (though it's getting tougher to get around with the increasing local traffic). And there are some good neighborhoods (we liked Woodcroft but hated the massive powerlines running through it). But when we were looking to move out of our starter home, we couldn't find homes or neighborhoods in Durham that we liked.

In contrast, north Raleigh had tons of beautiful neighborhoods with more unique and well-cared-for homes. The neighborhoods are more established, leafier, and greener, and getting around north Raleigh is easy, if more spread out. So for us the trade-off was a nicer area but somewhat less convenience. Probably a pretty typical trade-off. If convenience is more important for you, and you can find areas you like in Durham, then that's probably the best choice.

I think it's all what you get use to. I find the traffic in the triangle to be laughable compared to where I came from. So I have no probably getting around South Durham. And I also think it depends on your price point. There are plenty of established, leafy, well cared for neighborhoods in SW Durham outside of Woodcroft. Hope Valley (the original... not the knock offs) is IMHO the one of the most beautiful suburban neighborhoods in this state.

However, we did look at North Raleigh. I liked it. I think I could have been happy in either SW Durham or N. Raleigh. I don't think we would have moved North of 540 though. It felt too far out & too spread out for us. I really like the older neighborhoods of the North Ridge area in Raleigh.

I don't think North Raleigh is better or worse than SW Durham. I really think most anyone could equally enjoy either area.

Good luck with your search!!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:19 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,011,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
I disagree with the suggestion about holding off on Woodlake unless you're looking over $300K. The vast majority of homes in the neighborhood are WELL under this price point.

I will be selling MY Woodlake home in Jan/Feb, and it will probably be priced around $200; $210K at the most. The "pricey" part of the neighborhood consists of the larger homes immediately surrounding the lake. Everything else is much cheaper and more entry level. I would definitely include Woodlake in my search if I were looking in a lower price range.
True, upon further reflection, I run through Woodlake and the sections I run (around the lake) are indeed the higher priced homes. I really like the neighborhood so I am glad to hear there are some good homes in the sub 250 range!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,163,179 times
You ALL have very good points.

I DO believe that SW Durham has gotten so much better in the last few years.

The biggest problem that I (as a Real Estate Agent) see with Durham is that the PERCEPTION is that it isn't as safe as North Raleigh. The PERCEPTION is what makes your home values appreciate or remain the same.

However, I always say that "beauty IS in the eyes of the beholder".

You should check out all the areas that are in your price range and make your own opinion based on what is important to you and your family.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary