U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 PM

129 posts, read 282,902 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
My son is turning 11 later this month, and I need some ideas on where to have a birthday party for him. He wanted to have it at Frankie's, but they require a minimum of 10 kids, and he doesn't even know that many kids yet. (We're new to NC.) Plus, it's pricey, it would cost about $225 just for the party! So, if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. I'd like to save some cash for the presents.

And answer quickly, because I'm trying to figure this out by Sunday!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM

847 posts, read 2,411,789 times
I'm hoping to convince my own son to take a few friends here next year:
Vertical Edge Climbing Center - Birthday Parties - 919.596.6910 (http://www.verticaledgeclimbing.com/bday.htm - broken link)

I think another fun place to have a preteen party would be at Chapel Hill Comics. I heard at their new location (where the Paint the Earth pottery center was) they have a party room:
Chapel Hill Comics

If just a couple friends, what about a popular older-kid movie (Clone Wars?) with some video games and pizza after?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:01 PM

7,477 posts, read 14,763,092 times
What part of town are you in? Bowling, ice skating (Ice Plex or Factory), roller skating, swimming, (if you have a place to swim now, it's still plenty warm), Raleighwood cinemas. There is also a cool go-Kart place off Tryon Road in Raleigh, but I don't know how far that is from you. But most of these places have a minimum for parties. Could you just go somewhere for fun, like Frankies, and then drive the kids back to your place for cake and birthday festivities? It would be a lot cheaper to do it that way rather than book a party somewhere.

I just asked my 13 year old daughter and she said to have one at home with a few friends, movies, pizza and popcorn.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM

129 posts, read 282,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
What part of town are you in? Bowling, ice skating (Ice Plex or Factory), roller skating, swimming, (if you have a place to swim now, it's still plenty warm), Raleighwood cinemas. There is also a cool go-Kart place off Tryon Road in Raleigh, but I don't know how far that is from you. But most of these places have a minimum for parties. Could you just go somewhere for fun, like Frankies, and then drive the kids back to your place for cake and birthday festivities? It would be a lot cheaper to do it that way rather than book a party somewhere.

I just asked my 13 year old daughter and she said to have one at home with a few friends, movies, pizza and popcorn.
that may be a good idea....he has a few friends here in the complex, and i bet a big slumber party would be really fun for them! keep the ideas coming, people! you're such a big help!

what would i do without this site?!?!?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 PM

2,252 posts, read 5,939,105 times
My kids aren't that age yet, but my nieces and nephews have just gone to Frankie's with a few friends for birthdays, and the parents have just bought a certain amount of stuff for them. You don't have to buy the formal package.

I just discovered a place close to me that does some interesting birthday packages including Harry Potter birthdays, Camelot Treasures:
Camelot-Treasures.com (http://camelot-treasures.com/birthdays.htm - broken link)

Most of the area movie theaters also have birthday packages (I particularly have noticed the party room at the Raleigh Grande, but they are all around).

Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,762,272 times
What about taking him and a few friends to Frankie's, giving each a certain amount of tokens (or a token card, I think Frankies does those?) and then driving them back to your house after for pizza and cake?

I've done similar for my sons, when I didn't want to have a huge party.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 PM

185 posts, read 404,708 times
When my son turned twelve we'd been here less than three months. He was wishy washy on the party idea (would rather have a bigger present, plus he's shy). In the end, we had some kids from my son's class over to the house, let them hang out on the deck, fed them pizza and drinks, then took them to the movies and back to our house for video games, cake, presents, etc. It didn't sound exciting to me, but wouldn't you know one of the guests decided to invite my son to the exact same style of party a few weeks later, so the kids must have enjoyed it!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:45 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,859,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanllabean81 View Post
Hey all!
My son is turning 11 later this month, and I need some ideas on where to have a birthday party for him. He wanted to have it at Frankie's, but they require a minimum of 10 kids, and he doesn't even know that many kids yet. (We're new to NC.) Plus, it's pricey, it would cost about $225 just for the party! So, if anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it. I'd like to save some cash for the presents.

And answer quickly, because I'm trying to figure this out by Sunday!

Why don't we have a City Data family meetup at Frankies. That way you will have more than 10 kids. Plus, I love the go karts there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary