Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:05 PM

39 posts, read 147,719 times

Advertisements

For the most part... is racism/segregation a big issue in Raleigh??? Form the midwest and very segregated where I'm from. Find it pretty sad and disturbing!! Any suggestions on neighborhoods with diversity and welcoming to a very nice, hard working, African American family of 3???? Comments and suggestions very much appreciated. Also if any suggestions on schools (elementary and H.S.) that fit this description ....please give. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Not forced segregation...seems more out of choice nowadays, but there are many areas with growing diversity as well.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
My extended family is from the Midwest but I have never lived there. Everytime we visit up there, we are always struck at how much more segregated it is than Raleigh. Since I am not African American, I can't give you a perspective from your viewpoint. But, from my perspective, I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,739,667 times
Where are you from? I lived in the midwest and never saw that as a problem. What do you mean by "segregated"? As far as schools? Or what?
best,
~toodie

Old 09-13-2008, 02:20 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Not too bad in the Triangle.

We did see racial problems at East Millbrook Middle School. Moderator cut: very off topic!!!!
Very educated and accepting area normally. We once lived in New Orleans where bigotry reigns.

Last edited by autumngal; 09-13-2008 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
I'm an NC native, and when I lived in the Midwest I always was a little offended that people would act like the south was so racist when things in the Midwest were so segregated (and that there was so much said about Native Americans, but that's a whole different discussion). I used to tell people that the big difference in the south is that while people may (rarely now) say offensive things, they actually LIVE together. There are a few places that are historically AA (up until the 1950s or so Durham was known nationally as the home of the black middle class) but for the most part new residents of all races go to the new construction areas, like Apex, Cary, North Raleigh and South Durham.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense View Post
For the most part... is racism/segregation a big issue in Raleigh??? Form the midwest and very segregated where I'm from. Find it pretty sad and disturbing!! Any suggestions on neighborhoods with diversity and welcoming to a very nice, hard working, African American family of 3???? Comments and suggestions very much appreciated. Also if any suggestions on schools (elementary and H.S.) that fit this description ....please give. Thanks!!!
intense - I'm sorry I don't have school information for you, but I live in Michigan and the segregation (and overall lack of culture) is part of the reason why we're moving. We were thrilled when we walked around Raleigh and saw people of every color. The Triangle had a very different feel to it, and our visit was very refreshing. While I'm sure there's still segregation, to us it felt significantly different than the Midwest.

Good luck w/your decision to move!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:32 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
As long as you live in an area with educated people, you shouldn't feel that you are looked down upon.

Smaller towns in the South still have old ideas but in this area: Wake County, Johnston County, Durham County, you should have no problems.

I say this, based on what friends of all colors have told me.

Vicki

Old 09-13-2008, 08:19 AM

32 posts, read 96,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense View Post
Uhh, keep browsing this forum. You'll get your true answer.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
I agree with you about the segregation in the midwest. That's where I'm from originally and I noticed a big difference right away. Like Vicki said, as long you stay in the more populated counties, you'll be fine. People are generally well educated in the Triangle.

Toodie--I can only answer for myself but when we were in the midwest, people freaked out if a black family moved into their neighborhood. Educated people who aren't overtly racist, not 'rednecks'. People who I never expected to care that a black family moved in. They all worried about their property values going down and would dissect their lives. "How can they afford a house in this neighborhood if he's a mail man?" That sort of thing. It was sad.

My kids' school--Wildwood Forest Elementary has a very diverse population and many strong, involved, AA families as well as Indian, Asian, etc. I don't know what your price range is, but some neighborhoods that are currently assigned to that school (assignments can change) are Falls River, Riverside, Meryton Park (I think that's the name), and some parts of Bedford. I've lived in Falls River and Bedford and had black neighbors in both places and it was treated as no big deal. AA families were still in the minority but nobody cared what color anybody was.

I think that most new neighborhoods are like that--diverse and friendly. I don't know what its like in the older parts of Raleigh. SE Raleigh/Downtown Raleigh is definitely predominately AA and most of the housing projects are downtown. I'm not sure how many AA families there are in the more middle to upper class areas of older Raleigh (Inside the Beltline). Raleigh has grown incredibly in the past 20 years and most of the newer areas weren't populated during segregation. So I think that any major holdout areas would be in the older part of town. Not necessarily that the different races are purposely not wanting to live next to each other or keeping one another out, but they are just following the established patterns. And there are still older folks down there who were from the segregation generation.

Raleigh/the Triangle is a great place to live and I think you'll find it much less segregated than the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary