Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Raleigh North Carolina job market, seeking; job market information, job search strategies, non-local job opportunities, employment opportunities Charlotte, North Carolina employment

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:40 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,848 times

Advertisements

I'm been noticing a pattern. I arrived in Raleigh in May and after being honest and explaining in my cover letter or at the interview (had very few) to prospective employers the reason I'm not currently working is because I moved from the western part of the country and left my job for a better life in Raleigh. Of the 80 some resumes I've sent out ONLY for jobs that I qualify for ONLY a small handful have replyed. I also explained that I do NOT expect to make anywhere near the $40 to $50k, which they can see on the application they asked me to complete (from now I'm going to fudge that figure.) I let them know that the cost of living in NC is much smaller than where I'm from. When they ask what I'm willing to accept. I tell them $8.00 to $10.00 per hour because as it turns out that is the going rate in Raleigh for the industry I've worked in for many years and that I can live comfortably with this wage (and I can.) Then when the few that did reply they ask questions or will say the following; well, I don't know if you would be a good fit", but they can't explain why they feel that way. Or, "how do we know you won't return back from where you came from." I am a "good" fit and anyone can pack their bags and move elsewhere at any time. On TV the other day a husband and wife moved here 2 years ago and they decided after 2 years being unemployed to go back to where they came from (Alabama.) They had to rely on family to help them. They were lucky to have family give them a hand. I can't wait that long so I'm going to be out of here soon if I can't find a job.

Yesterday I was supposed to meet the owner for an interview. On Wednesday at 4PM on the phone we agreed to meet at 11AM Friday. He asked me to email him a brief history about myself. Again, I wanted to be honest so I told him where I had been living prior to moving to NC, I did not mention salaries. You can't being telling fibs about where you've been living. When I went to the interview the next day the manager told me that the owner, Steve flew home to Texas at 10:00 this morning for a couple of days and they don't know when he's coming back. As it turns out he had not flown home to Texas. I called later and asked to speak with him. Steve, the owner, answered the phone. He said he was busy and would have to call me back. I asked him if he was in Texas and he said no and hung up on me. Of course I never did hear back.

I am a "good" fit and anyone can get up and move elsewhere. I'm more than willling to accept much less than I'm accustomed to making and I explain that to them. So I have two things against me. 1. Employers prefer hiring people in need of a job that have been residing in Raleigh for a long period of time; 2. They think I am going to move again, after making the HUGE move I made a few short months ago. Maybe they think I'll leave for a better paying job. They are very mistaken and I've already explained this to them. On TV the other day a husband and wife moved here 2 years ago and after bein unemployed for 2 yers they decided to go back to where they came from (Alabama.) I can't wait that long so I'm going to be out of here soon if I can't find a job. I think this will surely make a lot of employers happy if I do leave Raleigh. Put I will be back to retire here in a few very short years.

By the way, I did move here whith a job in place, but many of the employee's when laid off, myself included. And the Board of Elections said they did not have any opportunites available at this time. Only for the month of October thur to November so I sent my resume. The next day I see an advertisement for the county I reside in requesting applications for term positions starting NOW, RIGHT AWAY!!! I immediately sent a resume, but as usual I haven't heard a word.

This is not my only story, but hundreds of people's story especially those of us who are new to Raleigh. It's getting close to the time I must take action and make anohter HUGE move. The question is to where? Maybe Charlotte will have better opportunities. I'll do my homework first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 01:22 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
I'm been noticing a pattern. I arrived in Raleigh in May and after being honest and explaining in my cover letter or at the interview (had very few) to prospective employers the reason I'm not currently working is because I moved from the western part of the country and left my job for a better life in Raleigh. Of the 80 some resumes I've sent out ONLY for jobs that I qualify for ONLY a small handful have replyed. I also explained that I do NOT expect to make anywhere near the $40 to $50k, which they can see on the application they asked me to complete (from now I'm going to fudge that figure.) I let them know that the cost of living in NC is much smaller than where I'm from. When they ask what I'm willing to accept. I tell them $8.00 to $10.00 per hour because as it turns out that is the going rate in Raleigh for the industry I've worked in for many years and that I can live comfortably with this wage (and I can.) Then when the few that did reply they ask questions or will say the following; well, I don't know if you would be a good fit", but they can't explain why they feel that way. Or, "how do we know you won't return back from where you came from." I am a "good" fit and anyone can pack their bags and move elsewhere at any time. On TV the other day a husband and wife moved here 2 years ago and they decided after 2 years being unemployed to go back to where they came from (Alabama.) They had to rely on family to help them. They were lucky to have family give them a hand. I can't wait that long so I'm going to be out of here soon if I can't find a job.

Yesterday I was supposed to meet the owner for an interview. On Wednesday at 4PM on the phone we agreed to meet at 11AM Friday. He asked me to email him a brief history about myself. Again, I wanted to be honest so I told him where I had been living prior to moving to NC, I did not mention salaries. You can't being telling fibs about where you've been living. When I went to the interview the next day the manager told me that the owner, Steve flew home to Texas at 10:00 this morning for a couple of days and they don't know when he's coming back. As it turns out he had not flown home to Texas. I called later and asked to speak with him. Steve, the owner, answered the phone. He said he was busy and would have to call me back. I asked him if he was in Texas and he said no and hung up on me. Of course I never did hear back.

I am a "good" fit and anyone can get up and move elsewhere. I'm more than willling to accept much less than I'm accustomed to making and I explain that to them. So I have two things against me. 1. Employers prefer hiring people in need of a job that have been residing in Raleigh for a long period of time; 2. They think I am going to move again, after making the HUGE move I made a few short months ago. Maybe they think I'll leave for a better paying job. They are very mistaken and I've already explained this to them. On TV the other day a husband and wife moved here 2 years ago and after bein unemployed for 2 yers they decided to go back to where they came from (Alabama.) I can't wait that long so I'm going to be out of here soon if I can't find a job. I think this will surely make a lot of employers happy if I do leave Raleigh. Put I will be back to retire here in a few very short years.

By the way, I did move here whith a job in place, but many of the employee's when laid off, myself included. And the Board of Elections said they did not have any opportunites available at this time. Only for the month of October thur to November so I sent my resume. The next day I see an advertisement for the county I reside in requesting applications for term positions starting NOW, RIGHT AWAY!!! I immediately sent a resume, but as usual I haven't heard a word.

This is not my only story, but hundreds of people's story especially those of us who are new to Raleigh. It's getting close to the time I must take action and make anohter HUGE move. The question is to where? Maybe Charlotte will have better opportunities. I'll do my homework first.
Do NOT move to Charlotte..It is a lot like Raleigh when it comes to the job situation. If you know someone at a big company there, he/she will hire you otherwise, my best advice is for you to move to places like DC, Boston, Chicago or Miami. You are almost guaranteed a job in one of these big cities, but of course, you have to take the good with the bad (e.g traffic congestion, high rent, etc). Best of Luck! I myself (and boyfriend) am getting ready to get out of here after getting my bonus in December. I love Raleigh but will return when we retire))))

Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:

I may have missed it in your post, but what type of field are you in? $40k to $50k is not a lot of money for around here for most jobs. It may be about average for entry level or lower level positions. Some people have a hard time finding work here if they do not live here, but it is very easy to find work if you already live here. It may not be in the field you prefer, depending on what it is, but there is almost always something available. If you provide what your background is and what it is you are looking for, maybe we can help.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
I will be back to retire here in a few very short years.
Is it possible you could also be dealing with age discrimination? Obviously I don't know your age, but thought it might be a possibility given your comment above.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,401 times
Art Lover... Sorry about the issues you are having. I know that it can be very frustrating. Please tell us more about your industry and the type of job you are seeking. This board is a wonderful resource, and someone may be able to lead you in a better direction.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks to all of you who have responded. I don't think it's my age as most of the employers haven't given me the chance to meet them. I'm in my 40's so I guess that's considered too old to find work in NC, but it wasn't where I came from. I also dress very nice and would always wear suits to interviews. They liked older workers because they were reliable and didn't have sick kids at home. I no longer want to go into the same industry I was in (insurance), but where I used to llive I made up to $45k (and had a decent amount of $$ left over to save) and here they are offering 1/2 of that for the same insurance job and in some cases for the identical insurance company, and you have to work much harder. I know what they are offering in Raleigh for an inside sales position in the insurance industry because I looked into it before I moved here, plus I interviewed in Raleigh just before I moved. Finding work even after you move here is impossible and that's why I may have to move if I feel I can afford to. I have to do something fast. All I need is an $8.00 an hour job in order to survive and that's all I'm asking, plus I was told that's pretty much what I would get. I need to have employers call me so I can at least get my foot into the door, but that's not happening. I'm applying for entry level since I want to change careers and I have explained all of this to them. And again, I'm only applying for jobs I know I qualify for and my resume should be enough to convey that to an employer. I tried to get a job at the corporate office of a very popular art supply company (I'm an artist so thought it would be a good place for me to work.) You should have seen the disappointment on his face when he found out I moved here from another state. They had "4" openings all the same type of office work, and I did not get one of them. I even send thank you notes after an interview. At least I was able to get my foot into the door. By the way, I'm seeing average jobs with "experience only apply" such as leasing managers for apartments being advertised for $12.00 an hour and not a penny more! I think it's the men who making well over this amount, not the women. Of the jobs that are advertised and mention the wages, in the past 4 months I haven't seen one that is offering a lot more than that unless it's one of those that says "Come work here and make $1,000 per week." Just another scam.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
There are good paying jobs here but only in certain skill sets.

Other jobs pay very poorly compared to other areas.

When I moved here from New Orleans in 1989, the pay was 30% less, and that was an IT job.

The streets are not paved with gold here.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,549,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
"The streets are not paved with gold here."
Beautifully said!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:24 PM

528 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Thanks to all of you who have responded. I don't think it's my age as most of the employers haven't given me the chance to meet them. I'm in my 40's so I guess that's considered too old to find work in NC, but it wasn't where I came from. I also dress very nice and would always wear suits to interviews. They liked older workers because they were reliable and didn't have sick kids at home. I no longer want to go into the same industry I was in (insurance), but where I used to llive I made up to $45k (and had a decent amount of $$ left over to save) and here they are offering 1/2 of that for the same insurance job and in some cases for the identical insurance company, and you have to work much harder. I know what they are offering in Raleigh for an inside sales position in the insurance industry because I looked into it before I moved here, plus I interviewed in Raleigh just before I moved. Finding work even after you move here is impossible and that's why I may have to move if I feel I can afford to. I have to do something fast. All I need is an $8.00 an hour job in order to survive and that's all I'm asking, plus I was told that's pretty much what I would get. I need to have employers call me so I can at least get my foot into the door, but that's not happening. I'm applying for entry level since I want to change careers and I have explained all of this to them. And again, I'm only applying for jobs I know I qualify for and my resume should be enough to convey that to an employer. I tried to get a job at the corporate office of a very popular art supply company (I'm an artist so thought it would be a good place for me to work.) You should have seen the disappointment on his face when he found out I moved here from another state. They had "4" openings all the same type of office work, and I did not get one of them. I even send thank you notes after an interview. At least I was able to get my foot into the door. By the way, I'm seeing average jobs with "experience only apply" such as leasing managers for apartments being advertised for $12.00 an hour and not a penny more! I think it's the men who making well over this amount, not the women. Of the jobs that are advertised and mention the wages, in the past 4 months I haven't seen one that is offering a lot more than that unless it's one of those that says "Come work here and make $1,000 per week." Just another scam.
I'm dumbfounded for a couple of reasons. First, I can't imagine why you're having such a hard time other than perhaps employers feel as though you might change your mind and go back to what you were doing before. Meaning, it might be the industry change that's giving you problems -- although that even seems like a stretch. Obviously your age isn't an issue -- I thought you were much closer to retirement by the way you said "a few years". 40's is prime age from what I understand, just for the reasons you mentioned. Another thing that gets me is that I have no clue why employers are paying so much less in the Triangle? I'm at a complete loss. It seems like people are getting paid much less in a number of industries; nursing being one I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know why this would be, and why you're having such a hard time getting something. One more thought: maybe you should start your resume from scratch. If you said that you're having a hard time just getting in the door, then there's something on that paper that's keeping them from bringing you in. Others have said that they haven't had problems getting hired once they get to the area so it's really the only thing I can think of. Again, I'm stretching just to think of what in the world it could be...

I feel for you though and I hope that things turn around soon as it really seems as though you're happy with the area overall.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:50 PM

Shoes4birds - I'm thinking your're right and I should start my resume all over again as well. It always worked for me before I came to Raleigh. For personal reasons I can't go into I am planning on semi retirement before age 65, but I still need to work before I'm able to get to that point. I'm really beginning to think that prospective employers realize that people are having trouble finding jobs so maybe they do think I'll leave them and go back to insurance. Insurance jobs are a dime a dozen in Raleigh. The people I've talked with who are working in the insurance industry doing exactly what I've done said that the agents expect a ton more from you including working very early and staying late. Believe me if I thought I was capable I'd do it, but I'm very well of my short comings and frequently working long hours would be too much for me, plus I'm burnt out when it comes to the insurance industry. And Saturnfan is so right when he says the streets here are not paved with gold. But all I need is a little $8.00 an hour job, of course more would be better. You would think that would be easy to find. The hard part is getting the interview. I will rewrite my resume. If I don't hear from an employer withing the next say 2 or so months I'll have to make my 3rd big move and leave Raleigh. Like I said I've only been here for almost 4 months and it was a HUGE move. I can only hope I'm emotionally up to do it again.
Thank you for all of your good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary