Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

47 posts, read 120,941 times

Advertisements

Hi, After several months of delays it looks like I will be relocating to the Triangle. I will be working in RTP.

I have searched the R/E market mostly on the web with a little time to drive around the area. My criteria are:

1) Easy commute
2) Safe area
3) Diverse neighborhood
4) $350,000-$450,000 range
5) Close to Restaurants/shopping/entertainment

I have somewhat narrowed my search to the area east of Fayettville, west of 55 and south of 54. I would like to get a sanity check on this area versus my criteria from those of you familiar with the aea.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,011,715 times
You should have a ton of options in that price range in the area you've defined.

Sounds like you have been here already, so I won't give you canned advice snipped #1 which is come visit and see what you like!

Let's move on immediately to things like-

1) Do you prefer newer or older developments and/or strong preference between new or resale construction?

2) Define "Close" to those things - do you want to be able to walk? Or do you mean within a 10 minute drive?

3) Any size requirements on the house or lot?

4) Any time requirements? Would you be willing to wait 6 months for a new home to be built?

I'll take some shots in the dark and see what sticks:

1) In that price range, assuming you don't need 4000+ square feet, you will have some excellent options in SW Durham. Specifically in the area you've defined, the following come to mind:

-Grandale (Centex)
Prices ranging from probbly 275k up to 500k. This was our second-choice community and we liked the fact that they kept mature trees here. It's a little far South, and it's districted to Hillside High for now which is generally thought of as being the lesser of the two SW Durham High Schools (behind Jordan

-Fairfield (Garman)
Fairfield is actually an established community built in the 90s, but in the back section they are building some new homes - it was Pinnacle and Garman homes, but I have heard only complaints about Pinnacle's service now. I believe you can get a great house for 350-450k from Jim Garman and the neighborhood itself is top notch

-Southampton (Orleans)
Across the street from Fairfield, Southampton is a small development of maybe 50 homes and definitely isn't for everyone with the clear-cut they did in making the land buildable. They've planted some trees and ultimately I think it will be pretty nice. Location-wise, you get a lot of house for your money here...maybe the best bang for your buck on a brick new construction home.

-Hills at Southpoint (Toll Brothers)
Brand spanking new Toll Brothers community which means two things - 1, it's going to be nice and shiny, and 2, it's going to be overpriced. I think it will end up being a beautiful place, you'll just have to pay a premium for it. The other negative here is that it's just breaking ground on phase 1, so you'll be around construction for a while.

Resale communities to look at include Lakehurst, Oakhurst, Wellington Forest, Grandale Place, Chancellor's Ridge, Huntington Ridge

My fiancee and I looked extensively in this area and ended up a bit to the east at Brightleaf at the Park. If you're set on the area you've outlined, then don't bother, but as far as other stuff in Southern Durham in your price range I think it's tops. It's easily my favorite of the planned communities with mature trees, a great pool/fitness club, nature trails, ponds, and hills, and we were able to get a wonderful new home, over 3000 square feet on a wooded cul de sac lot, for just under 360k. 2 of the 4 builders in Brightleaf won "builder of the year" awards in the last couple years (Shea and Drees) and the other two are quite strong as well.

What ended up tipping us that way was that first of all, it's closer to RTP (though not by much) but also more convenient to the other things in the triangle than a place like Grandale was - airport, Raleigh, downtown Durham. The only thing we lose convenience on is Southpoint Mall and Chapel Hill. We also liked the idea of being in a larger community, and I love the fact that I can take a 3 mile jog and never leave the subdivision.

Anyhow, SW Durham is a great place to live - tons of options particularly at your price point, and I think whatever you settle on you will be pleased.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks Sneezecake, very comprehensive response. Yes, I am usually in the area every couple of weeks for a few days so I have been riding around. I actually haven't seen the brightleaf area is that closer to Miami Blvd? I will definitely check that out next time I'm in the area. Do they have resales or is it too new?

I would prefer an established neighborhood. I've built twice before and I don't think I have the energy to do it again. It is very exciting and very time consuming.

I'm looking in the 2500-3000 sq. ft. range on 1/3-1/2 acre. I don't need to walk to things, a 10 minute drive would be nice.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,011,715 times
Brightleaf is off 70, just south of the intersection of Miami/Sherron/70 and a couple miles north of Brier Creek.

There are some resales, though they are a year old-ish right now. There are also some new spec homes available, I believe each builder has some spec homes for sale.

To give you an example of what there is, at the high end there are 2 homes right around 450k that are above 3200 square feet and on Cul De Sacs - one has a basement, one is crawlspace but has more above-grade space. Both lots are closer to 1/4 acre I think.

In the high 3s there are several homes for sale between 350 and 400k, again on about .25 to .30 acres.

All these homes are surrounded by very tall, mature trees.

Brightleaf was not our first choice initially due to the fact that it's a less developed section of Durham, but plans for the immediate future are very encouraging and the community really just stood out given the competition in the area coupled with the price point. I work in South RTP (Page and I-40) and the commute for me would be 10 minutes. If I worked at IBM or GSK it would be even less.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanks again. I will drive thru next time I am in town.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:55 PM

673 posts, read 2,262,421 times
Baltimore7,

Sneezecake gave you an excellent summary of options in SW Durham.

We are in the Grandale subdivision, which Sneezecake mentioned. There are a couple of resales in the subdivision as well as a couple of inventory homes. This subdivision is new with ongoing construction, and sales seem to have exploded within the past month, so we are seeing quick growth.

Depending on where you will be working in RTP, your commute from Grandale could range from 6 minutes to 20 minutes.

Feel free to post additional questions or send me a DM if you want information specific to Grandale.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks Calvitts;

I have driven through Grandale and found it to be very nice. I will be working off Davis Drive a couple of miles from where Page Rd. crosses it (although I think it is a different name there).

One other question. Is there any airplane noise in that area of town?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:19 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,549 times
Other resale areas to consider are Oakhaven (across from Oakhurst), The Reserve at Southpoint, Chelsea Meadows, Wellington Forest, and Lyons Gate Eagle Pointe. (LG & EP are probably at the lower end of your range...maybe slightly below 350K). All in S Durham, very near Southpoint Mall and very near RTP.

We live in a sd south of Southpoint and find the area to be diverse, green, quiet, and very convienent.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks PDXMom,

I'm kind of shocked that I haven't heard from the Durham bashers yet.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:15 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,387,056 times
We looked at several of these developments - liked many of them, especially Grandale which is a Centex community. I had the opportunity to spend some time in downtown Durham last Friday since I was at a conference at the Marriott/Civic Center. Lots of great little areas to explore. LOVED Brightleaf Square. No Durham bashing here. Although we ended up in Cary, we would have been just as happy in Durham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary