Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM

302 posts, read 961,679 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I was researching a few houses in the southeastern part of Raleigh, near walnut creek park, and was wondering if this was a nice area. One of the developments I was looking at was called Edgewater, and its just east of 440. The reason i'm asking is I see a few very nice , and new houses around 250k,(houses that would probably be over 300k in other areas around Raleigh.) Any imput would be greatly appreciated, ie: commute to raleigh or RTP, schools, shopping etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,853 times
From what I've seen of that end of Raleigh, I'm not impressed. I wouldn't move there, in other words. Also, the drive from there to RTP would be ... At least 40 minutes to an hour depending on when you're going. The 440 beltline is, for the most part, a gigantic joke. Who in their right mind builds circular highways - they don't GO anywhere! So, unless you're going to somewhere else in Raleigh, the 440 is pretty useless. And then there's the I-40, which is untouchable for most of the day during the week and somewhat okay on the weekends, provided they haven't closed half of it to do construction.

But, really... Back on topic. We went to East Raleigh (around Rock Quarry road) to buy a TV from a guy who listed in the classifieds and I mean this seriously: I will NEVER go back over there.

Good Luck!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
How is the beltline a joke? It saves me a lot of time with the way I have to get to work. Do you realize how many cities in this country have "Beltways"?

Regarding SE Raleigh. If I were going to buy there I would get a more modest house, because if you buy a $250k house in SE Raleigh, you will probably have a hard time selling it. If I were you I would try to buy a more modest house closer to RTP in a good neighborhood.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:41 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Edgewater is an East Raleigh neighborhood. It's also a part of the bustling growth happening in the Knightdale area. It would be a pretty good investment if you ask me.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM

643 posts, read 2,053,853 times
I've lived all over the country. I've NEVER seen a city build circles. Most of them build grids, or something that vaguely resembles one.

And, like I said, if you're going from one end of downtown/centralish Raleigh to the other, it does a halfway decent job. Otherwise, it's useless.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
The 440 beltline is, for the most part, a gigantic joke. Who in their right mind builds circular highways - they don't GO anywhere! So, unless you're going to somewhere else in Raleigh, the 440 is pretty useless.
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this forum. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I've lived all over the country. I've NEVER seen a city build circles.
Did the country you "lived all over in" include Washington DC or Atlanta or Indiana or Texas or New York or....?

Here are a few more: List of beltways

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 09-15-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,559,751 times
38 States have beltways, with most of them having multiple cities with beltways. How is this a weird thing? Most Canadian "big" cities also have beltways. Where have you lived?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:47 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
So, unless you're going to somewhere else in Raleigh, the 440 is pretty useless. And then there's the I-40,
You must be either from Southern California or have lived there--NOBODY in almost any other region says "THE [name of highway]", and that includes here.

It's "440" (though most would call it just "the Beltline") and "40" (or "I-40"). No "the" in front of them or any other highway name.

You're welcome

(And what's this about never having heard of circular highways around cities??)

Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
This is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this forum. Congratulations!

Did the country you "lived all over in" include Washington DC or Atlanta or Indiana or Texas or New York or....?

Here are a few more: List of beltways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
38 States have beltways, with most of them having multiple cities with beltways. How is this a weird thing? Most Canadian "big" cities also have beltways. Where have you lived?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You must be either from Southern California or have lived there--NOBODY in almost any other region says "THE [name of highway]", and that includes here.

It's "440" (though most would call it just "the Beltline") and "40" (or "I-40"). No "the" in front of them or any other highway name.

You're welcome

(And what's this about never having heard of circular highways around cities??)

One more voice:
I LOVE I-440! It takes me AROUND Downtown Raleigh.
May I still love it if I stumble and call it "The 440?"

Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
If I were going to buy there I would get a more modest house, because if you buy a $250k house in SE Raleigh, you will probably have a hard time selling it.
You know, when I first read the original post, I thought of responding with some of the same guidance. If I were buying in SE or E Raleigh, I'd be careful to not over-buy. I'd consult a RE agent or look at zip code statistics before sinking a quarter million into a house there. If you can get a $300K house for $250K, there's a reason for that. And, that reason is location, location, location. Real or perceived issues in SE Raleigh can and should be overcome over time but I'd consider what that market will bear when it comes time for you to sell the house. If you are looking in that area, I'd consider Garner as well.
I imagine that a RE agent is not breaking any laws by sharing market data and comparing vs. other parts of the city/county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary