Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 AM

359 posts, read 1,838,573 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am wondering if their are any good thrift stores out there. Mostly good condition second hand name brand children's clothing, for example. We have an awesome one near me and I will miss it when we move.

Also, are there any fun and funky, but reasonably priced antique stores. I did see the photos of the Saturday Flea Market and can hardly wait to visit there.

Third, any offbeat shopping- such as being able to buy things from local artists. I know someone mentioned his wife's pottery studio in F-V. That's the kind of thing I was looking for more of.

Thanks in advance. We appreciate this board very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
There's a consignment shop in downtown Raleigh called "Stuff" on the 300 block of West Martin Street that I visit quite often. They have clothes, antiques, furniture, dinnerware, etc etc. Great place to shop.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
For kids clothes, I have gone to kid to kid in cary (crossroads) but mainly I shop at a biannual consignment sale (kids everywear - kidseverywear.biz) and they have great stuff, not just clothes.

For art things, two suggestions: the local street fairs in the springs (lazy daze in cary for example) have wonderful local artisans that show their creations.

Secondly, I went to school with sally resnick, who is now married, but has a ceramics studio and also does glass work. Her mom was also worked with ceramics, her website is: http://www.thermallab.com/

that may be a good place to start.

Leigh

Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 AM

36 posts, read 138,069 times
Bumping for more suggestions

Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 PM

583 posts, read 2,803,031 times
1. search Goodwill.org for the locations closeby
2. Tryon Road, near 401/70 in Garner (in strip mall behind Burger King)
3. American Veteran's Thrift Store - 401/S. Saunders Street (near Harley Davidson place, on right going away from downtown)
4. flea market on the fair grounds is always a great place to check
5. plentiful yardsales in the area w/ all the people moving
6. check craigslist.com (Raleigh) for free/cheap furniture classifieds
7. Caryyardsales.com
8. Raleighlist.org
9. Habitat for Humanity of Wake County ReUse Center

Old 02-09-2007, 03:48 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
Gotta love the flea market!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:24 AM

Does anyone know of any consignment craft stores? Looking to purchase some unique gifts. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,539 times
I get a lot of clothes for my son at the Baby Bear on University in Durham. For junk/antiques, try Everything But Grannie's Panties on Guess Road. There are also several other, smaller stores along the same strip. Wentworth and Leggett Bookshop in Brightleaf Square has out of print books and a ton of vintage postcards/maps/prints...

Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 AM

Thanks, those sound like interesting places to check out one weekend!

I'm looking more for handmade crafts, etc. to give for gifts though...

Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmflan View Post
Third, any offbeat shopping- such as being able to buy things from local artists. I know someone mentioned his wife's pottery studio in F-V. That's the kind of thing I was looking for more of.
I still haven't the consignment type of craft stores that I'm looking for, but here's a great published list of art studios, etc. across NC.

http://www.carolinaarts.com/nccommercial.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary