Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 15,208 times

Advertisements

Hi, first, this is a great forum and i've been hooked for the past few weeks so thanks for all the good information. Please keep it up.

We are a family from the UK relocating to the Cary area later this year and we have many questions, but i'm sure we will find the answers to most on our visit in 10 days time.

We have picked a number of properties to view, both old and new builds, mainly around the south-west of Raleigh. We seem to be drawn to the area between Lake Wheeler, Lochmere and Holy-Springs.

Other areas we have initially been interested in have been crossed out because of the aircraft noise, Olde Carpenter being one, or the planned 540.

One community we are interested in is the Toll Brothers site at Meadowridge. Anybody had experience with these builders?

We also have a 16 year daughter who will need to attend a high school. We will be visiting Athens Drive.

Any views, advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, keep all the info coming, its been soooooooo helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 12:04 PM

101 posts, read 466,097 times
You lucky things!
I've sent you a PM

Old 02-07-2007, 03:17 PM

149 posts, read 283,326 times
Hi,
fingers crossed us too, and I know what you mean about being hooked on this forum. DH is in CA now, over to NC on Fri to meet his prospective new boss, can't tell you how nervous I am, lord knows how he's feeling. Our house is sold and we're waiting to find out if we need to buy a new one here or not.
Hope your move goes well and you find your ideal home - good luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:12 PM

98 posts, read 636,426 times
I can't believe that so many people from Hampshire read this forum - I lived there for many years and think it is one of the nicest places in England. I also am relocating to Cary shortly for the 2nd time having lived there for 3 years before work took me elsewhere, but the weather and golf are enticing me back

Old 02-08-2007, 02:12 AM

101 posts, read 466,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommapudding View Post
Hi,
fingers crossed us too, and I know what you mean about being hooked on this forum. DH is in CA now, over to NC on Fri to meet his prospective new boss, can't tell you how nervous I am, lord knows how he's feeling. Our house is sold and we're waiting to find out if we need to buy a new one here or not.
Hope your move goes well and you find your ideal home - good luck.
Isn't it strange that we are all from Hampshire!

Haven't noticed anyone else on here from a different part of the U.K. except someone on the Charlotte forum who lives in Newcastle.
Don't know if our fact finding trip to N.C. a couple of weeks ago will be of any benefit to you mommapudding, but please feel free to PM me.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM

56 posts, read 355,811 times
Hello UKtoNC --

We are relocating from Florida to RTP area also (husband's job) with 2 kids, 15 and 16 years old. We've made our decisions about which school we want the kids to attend, which area we want to live in, and have found a house we love (closing on Feb. 28th). So I'm replying just to tell you a little bit about how we came to those decisions.

First importance for us, high schools: we looked at the comparisons and statistics online at wcpss (Wake County Public Schools), publicschoolreview, and greatschools websites. (Sorry, I don't have all the links handy right now, but if you can't find them I can look them up and send to you) I also asked people on this forum about good high schools, asked our realtor, husband's co-workers, etc. (and anyone else I could find to ask!) their opinions about the schools. We narrowed down to Green Hope or Apex high schools. We didn't really consider Athens Dr. because of their scores on those sites. I'm sure everyone is looking for different things, but with 2 very serious students we were looking for a school with high academic ratings that would challenge them and get them ready for college. We saw some houses and neighborhoods we really liked, but ruled them out because of the schools they were assigned to. If we had loved the house and neighborhood enough, we would have bought there and sent the kids to private school, but we decided that if we were going to go with a public school, it would be Apex or GH.

There are some schools that are offering the IB program... If you are interested in that, you can find info online about which schools offer it, and that might narrow down areas for you also.

We also considered my husband's commute to RTP, and that eliminated some areas for us that were just too far from work. We liked the MacGregor and Preston areas -- more space and privacy than most of the new communities we looked at. We ended up finding a house we love in MacGregor West, and the kids will start in August at Apex High. Everyone I have dealt with at Apex has been very helpful. Even though we didn't really have any intention or desire to move from Florida, we have gotten excited about the new opportunities there and are now looking forward to our move!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,430 times
Default British Family thinking of moving to Raleigh

We have lived in Fort Myers Florida for a couple of years now and thinking of a move to Raleigh.The Job situation in South Florida has become frustrating Companies closing or lay offs seem to be the norm.
The weather can be a Killer in the Summertime so we are looking for a Friendly City with lots of employment and an area that may embrace our British culture My Sons are in there late 20s so they want some night life too they are both in Sales mainly computers/applications. Is the Job market healthy up there? whats it like to live in North Carolina? and are Brits Welcome there?
I have always found Southerners to be so friendly here in Florida but as iv never lived in Carolina only Florida since I got here 2 years ago and everyone is from everywhere else in Florida or just passing through its hard to tell.
I came to America after my husband died to join my sons who have lived here for 6 years so we need an area that will not only be good for them being 28 and 31years but also for me in my 50s any advice would be appreciated so so much the triangle seems to be the place? but need to be near the HUB of employment but a nice area to live.and not too far to travel to work.

Last edited by snowdrop; 12-28-2007 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM

473 posts, read 1,734,887 times
No ideas of where you are looking.. but if you need a great hotel checkout Cary Comfort Suites on Ashville.. you won't regret it! (tell them you are relocating for a good rate!)

NcMommy

Old 12-28-2007, 05:31 PM

770 posts, read 2,749,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrop View Post
We have lived in Fort Myers Florida for a couple of years now and thinking of a move to Raleigh.The Job situation in South Florida has become frustrating Companies closing or lay offs seem to be the norm.
The weather can be a Killer in the Summertime so we are looking for a Friendly City with lots of employment and an area that may embrace our British culture My Sons are in there late 20s so they want some night life too they are both in Sales mainly computers/applications. Is the Job market healthy up there? whats it like to live in North Carolina? and are Brits Welcome there?
I have always found Southerners to be so friendly here in Florida but as iv never lived in Carolina only Florida since I got here 2 years ago and everyone is from everywhere else in Florida or just passing through its hard to tell.
I came to America after my husband died to join my sons who have lived here for 6 years so we need an area that will not only be good for them being 28 and 31years but also for me in my 50s any advice would be appreciated so so much the triangle seems to be the place? but need to be near the HUB of employment but a nice area to live.and not too far to travel to work.
HI,

I've lived here for 4 years and, for the most part, love the area. If you troll thru the threads here you will quickly see what irks people and what does not around here.
I'm a brit from Manchester (don't hold that against me) and in my 50's and they pretty much love the Brits around here . I've been looking for a 'hobby job' and despite having 2 master's degrees have had little success until recently - that said , I've not been killing myself looking. Feel free to pm me with any specific questions

Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,118,597 times
My daughter graduated from Athens Drive about 10 years ago and it wasn't at the top of the WCPSS pecking order.

Current reports don't indicate a dramatic change from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary