Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

They made a thread about that ridiculous notion in the Charlotte forum and I saw it became a sticky! Apparently it's just as big of a problem there! Seems they have a little more freedom to speak their minds over there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 PM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
What industries are hiring in the Triangle?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
What industries are hiring in the Triangle?
Some financial, many pharma, retail and IT. Construction is hurting.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Retail may be getting hit soon.

Raleigh PD is hiring.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 AM

406 posts, read 787,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I can't believe we are having a thread to talk about how terrible the Triangle's unemployment situation is when the rate is 5.4%.
I don't think that number tells the whole story.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM

166 posts, read 411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Thats the point exactly, If you moved here from a less desirable place this will be OZ. But to state that its better here then almost every where else, is that true or is that misleading. My posts are of fact not emotion I could post liquid sunshine but already plenty here, some one considering such a large change needs to turn alot of rocks and get the real scoop. Check Sunnys post NC is ranked 39 that means only 11 states are in worse shape in unemployement. DC,KY,Alaska,TN,SC,CA,IL,RI,MS,MI.....Note that NJ and Ny are doing better then NC for jobs. This is not a rank that would drive poeple looking for economic releif. Also we could discuss the majority having good experiences, lets try to prove that one way or another, you cant. Oh and ya the sky is blue and its like 75 outside simply excellent, looking out my work office window. keepin it real.

do these numbers take in account all the trouble makers in durham who dont want a job? There's 15,000 of the 29,000

Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 PM

166 posts, read 411,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
29,000 can sound like a huge number, but keep it in perspective. There are at least 25,000 job openings in the area on any given day. So the ratio is still almost 1:1. Sure, many of these jobs are entry level, retail, or lower paying jobs, but they are jobs nonetheless. I agree, the concept of a gold rush boom is over, but it is still much better here then just about anywhere else. If you want a job, not necessarily your dream job, there is work.
HOWEVER, as someone who follows the markets and the economy pretty intensly, we are in for much harder times here and everywhere. The storm has yet to hit, but rest assured people, it is a coming!

All I want is a waitress/server job are those available? Preferably Non chain But....

Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM

484 posts, read 1,366,824 times
Default a possible work at home job

I found this link and "heard" they hire from home for companies such as U-Verse. I don't work for them and don't know if its true or not, but anyone interested can check it out. iRoz - Recruitment System Check it out, It's worth a shot I suppose?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:08 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Some financial, many pharma, retail and IT. Construction is hurting.
Don't tell people pharma is hiring. That's totally misleading. GSK is laying off - several CROs are not doing well...my CRO is doing fairly well in some areas, other departments not so much. YES Quintiles is expanding here and that is a good thing but remember that a LOT of laid off people will be trying to get those jobs...local people.

Pharma could be worse here - let's say that.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Don't tell people pharma is hiring. That's totally misleading. GSK is laying off - several CROs are not doing well...my CRO is doing fairly well in some areas, other departments not so much. YES Quintiles is expanding here and that is a good thing but remember that a LOT of laid off people will be trying to get those jobs...local people.

Pharma could be worse here - let's say that.

Pharma IS hiring. That doesn't mean that 100% are hiring, but many are. That's just the facts. Our company has lost several people to competitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary