Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM

55 posts, read 211,148 times

Advertisements

We bought are home in five points in 2000 for 289k. It would now sell for 550k. We have 2100 square feet in a 1928 home that is totally renovated. Most nice ITB homes have appreciated at 11% annually since WWII. My neighbor paid 22k for her home in 1958 that is now worth 500k. I grew up in old north raleigh just beyond north hills mall. My folks paid 30k fo a split level that would now sell for 245k or so. Far out cookie cutter suburban hoods will never appreciate this fast because there will always be new homes close by. They are not making anymore land in old Raleigh proper. That is where the appreciation will come. Gross sprawl will make folks want to live closer in. Close in properties will always appreciate at a higher rate that cookie cutter hoods. BTW-Raleigh is full of thousands of natives. Many fine families that have been here for 5 or 6 generations. They live where they have always lived, in the real Raleigh. Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Zillow is to home values like "FlipthisorthatHouse" is to real estate investing.
FLUFF...
Zillow doesn't gather financial concessions deducted from price that I can get from MLS.
Zillow doesn't comprehend duress sales, like foreclosure, divorce(Where often a home sells for about 1/2 of market value), estate sales.

The lawsuits against Zillow for incompetence will hinge on Zillow's promotion, whether a court thinks they have promoted the site as fact or entertainment, IMO.

Zillow is a good example of the types of traps awaiting the general public when they confuse entertainment with fact. Anyone using Zillow to market their home should consider hiring a pro. Once again, IMO.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighboy View Post
We bought are home in five points in 2000 for 289k. It would now sell for 550k. We have 2100 square feet in a 1928 home that is totally renovated. Most nice ITB homes have appreciated at 11% annually since WWII. My neighbor paid 22k for her home in 1958 that is now worth 500k. I grew up in old north raleigh just beyond north hills mall. My folks paid 30k fo a split level that would now sell for 245k or so. Far out cookie cutter suburban hoods will never appreciate this fast because there will always be new homes close by. They are not making anymore land in old Raleigh proper. That is where the appreciation will come. Gross sprawl will make folks want to live closer in. Close in properties will always appreciate at a higher rate that cookie cutter hoods. BTW-Raleigh is full of thousands of natives. Many fine families that have been here for 5 or 6 generations. They live where they have always lived, in the real Raleigh. Check it out.
I agree, Zillow is usually wrong and should only be used as "entertainment". For the record, I would love to live in the "Real Raleigh" but could not afford areas like five points or even an old split level in the old North Raleigh. If I could afford those prices on my first home I could have afforded to live and stay in NJ too which was not the case. It is good to hear from a native of Raleigh. I hope to join you in the "Real Raleigh" one day!. For now I will have to settle living in the Raleigh Outback!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 AM

185 posts, read 686,995 times
Durham median price 10,000 more than Raleigh?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:01 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,681 times
I agree that Zillow is not totaly accurate which is why I cited the source. However, based on all the research I've done, those numbers do seem to be in the ballpark of median prices in the area. For example, it's no secret that cary's median price is indeed 250K. The combined median price for the Raleigh-Cary Area as a whole is 220K. Raleigh's median price is dragged down by the economically depressed areas. Chapel Hill's median price also seems accurate as does Holly Springs and Apex. Perhaps the realtor's on this board can confirm those?

anyhoo.. here is a link to more detailed info about NC cities as reported by local realtors. They tend to report the average prices vs the median prices but it's still a good indicator. Happy reading!

http://realtytimes.com/rtmcrstate/North_Carolina

Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
Durham median price 10,000 more than Raleigh?
Besides seriously questioning the source of the data, keep in mind that Raleigh and Durham are made up of different areas - North Raleigh prices are VERY different from prices in SE Raleigh, as are prices ITB in "Real Raleigh". Just looking at the average of all these areas together doesn't give you an accurate picture of home sales, even if the data used to create the median value is correct. Big "if" there, too.

Looking at numbers is fun, and entertaining, but please heed the warnings of pp's and consult a professional, or at least use more reliable data if you're actually planning to put your house on the market.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:37 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
First of all...I disagree with Zillow on about 99% of my listings and the homes that I sell. They basically get their information from the county website, which often has the incorrect square footage.

Vicki
Here's some more information on Zillow. I've posted a few clips from the entire article which I found worthwhile.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/re...=1&oref=slogin

...Zillow.com, which was inaugurated last February, uses flashy maps imposed on color aerial photographs of neighborhoods, and gives estimated values for individual houses.

After the start of Zillow.com, a handful of sites cropped up offering similar services.

Within a month, even the giant Realtor.com, which in recent years had not offered the sale prices of comparable listings online, had a new feature on its front page that gave consumers a starting point to assess their property values.

Allan Dalton, president and chief executive of Realtor.com, said that the feature had already been in the works, and that the start of Zillow “reinforced that we had the right plan.”

Realtor.com, which works in partnership with the National Association of Realtors, designed the feature to help a seller find an agent who could give a professional assessment of the value of a property, not simply state a value.

“If you tell a house seller that a home value is preordained, the home seller is not going to seek someone to get the best price,” Mr. Dalton said. “We represent both the homes and the professional. At the end of the day, people need to have expert advice.”

This approach differs from that of sites like Zillow.com, whose goal is to attract an audience for its information and to sell advertising on the basis of the size of that audience.

Within a few months of its opening, however, Zillow attracted some unwelcome attention. In October, the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, a nonprofit consumer group in Washington, filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission that contended that inaccurate valuations on the site, both high and low, were damaging the interests of all consumers and particularly the interests of working families.

The complaint has yet to be resolved, but a spokeswoman for Zillow was careful to point out the site’s disclaimers.

“We’re a starting point,” said the spokeswoman, Amanda Hoffman. “We’re not a crystal ball. It’s the Internet. You sort of have to take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt.”...

...As an extension of pure data about communities, Realtor.com is planning to add some consumer opinion, a feature that follows somewhat in the style of online retailers like Amazon.com. ...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Finding the accurate price of a home is not as easy as one may think. Its really not as easy as just finding the comps. What if you don't have comps to use? What if one neighborhood's value appreciated 6% and another one appreciated 10%. What if homes in a neighborhood sell in 5 days and each time another one goes on the market, it increases in price $2,000 and even the appraisers can't keep up. My point is that its so hard to simplify it. Thats why I think zillow doesn't work. Thats why I think no website can really give you the most accurate picture. Thats why I think you need a Realtor that is famaliar with that neighborhood and that area. Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary