U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2008, 02:26 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,941,223 times

Advertisements

The fact that Broughton once drew from outside the Beltline seems a little tangential to its current magnet status. I think Uncle Tupelo's original point was that there has been no dramatic change in the ITB population Broughton serves; it has always been a school that served some of the top economic groups in Raleigh. Given that Wake County's magnet program is intended to achieve economic integration, it seems funny that Broughton would need to be a magnet. I guess I haven't been following the high schools closely enough because until I read this thread I hadn't realized it was one.

For the record, though, the reason Broughton drew from outside the beltline was because it was a city school, and it drew city kids even if they were outside the beltline. The beltline was not the city limits. Millbrook was a county school until the Raleigh City/ Wake County school merger in the mid-70s. Oh, and it is on Spring Forest Road, not Millbrook. When I went there in the early 80s I think that was a fairly new facility, but I'm not sure how new.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,318,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
The fact that Broughton once drew from outside the Beltline seems a little tangential to its current magnet status. I think Uncle Tupelo's original point was that there has been no dramatic change in the ITB population Broughton serves; it has always been a school that served some of the top economic groups in Raleigh. Given that Wake County's magnet program is intended to achieve economic integration, it seems funny that Broughton would need to be a magnet. I guess I haven't been following the high schools closely enough because until I read this thread I hadn't realized it was one.

For the record, though, the reason Broughton drew from outside the beltline was because it was a city school, and it drew city kids even if they were outside the beltline. The beltline was not the city limits. Millbrook was a county school until the Raleigh City/ Wake County school merger in the mid-70s. Oh, and it is on Spring Forest Road, not Millbrook. When I went there in the early 80s I think that was a fairly new facility, but I'm not sure how new.

Sorry ! I was wrong !!! Yes, the school is on Spring Forest Road !!! Yes, you are correct Millbrook was a county school until the city/county merger, so my BIL (living in the city limits OTB) would have attended his nearest Raleigh city school at the time - Broughton High.....

I need to study the attendence area more closely - but at a glance it appears some of the "base attendence" area for Broughton already covers some lower socio-economic areas - if this is their base school.. why do we need a magnet to attract more kids? I guess I don't understand the whole program.

Back to the whole IB issue - it should be interesting to see how this plays out. I would also like to see some facts regarding student interest in the program.. I don't see how it can be justified if student enrollment is waning.

Also, back to my OP - is the IB programme at Broughton tied to the magnet status? What are the other Magnet HS's in Wake County... Enloe, right?

I personally know of two high schoolers living in WF attending Broughton under magnet status... I need to f/u and see if they are/will be in the IB Programme (it starts junior year).

Last edited by weluvwakeforest; 09-19-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,994 times
Default Broughton IB Grad

I am a graduate of the IB program at BHS in 2005. I am currently a senior in Computer Science at MIT. During HS I lived OOTB (near the airport). I suppose I'd describe my family as upper-middle class, though through hard work (my grandfather was a farmer) and with the perspective of being first-generation immigrants from Canada. I'd have to say that the IB program at Broughton was the reason I was adequately prepared to survive (yet thrive!) in my experience at MIT.

Some may argue that's what Enloe or NCSSM is for; I'd like to point out that Enloe was on average 90 minutes from my house, and that friends I have that graduated from Science and Math high school programs were overall less prepared (time management skills, holistic thinking, etc) for university than I was, regardless of the Science and Math focus my particular university has.

At NCSSM I also wouldn't have been able to go to a home football game, or join the marching band or the varsity swim team.

Last edited by kpugh; 12-04-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: html errors

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 PM

3,155 posts, read 7,039,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpugh View Post
I'd have to say that the IB program at Broughton was the reason I was adequately prepared to survive (yet thrive!) in my experience at MIT.
If indeed it was the IB program that so well prepared you, then in theory if that program is moved to another high school, such as Millbrook, then IB students at Millbrook should be equally prepared. The location of the school should not matter.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 PM

278 posts, read 303,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
The location of the school should not matter.
In theory, no. But I don't think IB lets a school district "pack-up" an IB program and move it to another school -- like Millbrook, which has been suggested recently. Its my understanding that Millbrook would have to apply to IB and then go through the authorization process.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,994 times
Indeed, the IB program takes 2+ years of authorization from the international organization, as well as training of 8+ staff members (more if you want those staff members to be available throughout the day to teach other classes). Where is WCPSS going to get the extra money to do that?

Also, saying that students at Millbrook should be equally prepared is akin to saying that any student taking any AP class from any teacher should be equally prepared for the test. Students in AP classes will tell you that a lot depends on the teacher and their approach to the class. IB at Broughton currently has a unique and positive combination of highly motivated teachers and staff and students that are engaged in the program. Why kill a good thing because of yet another redistricting, and then not see it even possibly resurrected for at least another 2 years (more if there are budget constraints, or Millbrook etc. fails to measure up)?

Also, points of information developed by the current students in the program, that would like some distribution help.

- Every Broughton student is an IB student
Some mistakenly believe that IB at Broughton is only for an elite few. To the contrary, IB influences the education of every student at Broughton and is vital to the makeup of our school. IB teachers teach many other classes and we have school wide implementation of the Middle Years Program. Because of this, teachers infuse IB philosophy into every class and subject. Everyone benefits.

- Broughton is a healthy school because of IB
Those who want to remove IB argue that Broughton will be a "healthy school" without the IB Program. Remove IB and you remove the part of our school's foundation that keeps all Broughton students learning about the world around them and striving towards academic excellence.

- IB isn't a magic pill
You simply cannot pick up our IB program up and move it to another school. It isn't a tangible thing that you can carry from one place to another and as Spoon said it isn't a "magic pill" that can fix any school. Our program coordinators, teachers and school administrators have poured much time and energy into the success of this program and the county has already spent the money to make it a success. Removing it would be fiscally irresponsible and illogical. For another school to become IB would take a 2 + year process of application, authorization, and staff training, all of which costs the county money.

- Let Broughton help spread IB
Our staff is willing and able to help spread the success of IB to other schools throughout the county. We care about educational excellence for everyone in Wake County and believe keeping a successful program intact will benefit more students in the long run. Our teachers are qualified to train others and staff can help guide other schools in the authorization process.

Last edited by kpugh; 12-07-2008 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,301 times
simple solution to the parking problem: carpool.

the ib program cannot "pack up and move" because it requires extensive teacher training and takes several years to effectively integrate into the school. given it's success at broughton, we should follow the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 12-13-2008, 08:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,318,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
In theory, no. But I don't think IB lets a school district "pack-up" an IB program and move it to another school -- like Millbrook, which has been suggested recently. Its my understanding that Millbrook would have to apply to IB and then go through the authorization process.
Does anybody think the IB Programme will be dropped all together? The whispers about going to Millbrook or Knighdale HS is a smoke screen?

We know know all students at Broughton are all influenced by the IB Programme. But again.. how many actually enroll in the program and graduate?????????? What is the end result???

I would love to see these figures released to the general public.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:44 AM

467 posts, read 1,070,149 times
From all that I've observed - not looking like a smokescreen. Millbrook has begun preparation for the IB programme.

To correct an earlier statement - not all students at Broughton are involved in the IB programme. They are through the 10th grade - the middle years. The IB diploma programme (grades 11-12) is not for everyone - it's amazingly intense. It was one of the issues mentioned by those families who live in Broughton base neighborhoods - that students who applied to Broughton as magnet students in the middle years program would still stay on at Broughton during their jr/sr years, even though many were no longer in the IB programme at that point. Many felt if they were no longer IB, they should return to their own base schools.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM

383 posts, read 770,150 times
I think Milbrook will get the IB program. Also to note is that Garner High is also an IB magnet (if you apply to the lottery for IB magnets, your address determines whether you go to Garner or Broughton) and offers the Middle Years and Diploma Programmes, just as Broughton currently does.

And Enloe offers at least part of the IB program - maybe only the Diploma part, and only to students who apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary