Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM

635 posts, read 3,082,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbear View Post
For those interested in student travel abroad, why not hold off until college and take advantage of study abroad programs through college/university?

For UNC-Chapel Hill, the study abroad programs seem to be well-vetted.
I think that is a great suggestion

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Default Our Son Died of Ignorance and Neglect on a PTPSA Trip

I am so sorry to share with you that our beautiful son, Tyler Hill, died on PTPSA trip in 2007 and yet the programs still tout a solid safety record. For this reason, we are lobbying for the T HILL BILL for SAFETY STANDARDS see www.tylerhill.org and have filed a Federal Trade Commission complaint and a wrongful death lawsuit against Ambassadors Group International, a for profit trades on NASDAQ as EPAX, who actually conducts PTP Student Ambassador trips, and PTPI, Mary Eisenhower's organization. PTPI, according to the lawsuit, claims no affiliation with PTPSA other than the contractual right to use the name. Your child most likely was not nominated, is not special, and the children do little, if anything, to serve as ambassadors abroad. In Tyler's trip children were 9+ to a room with a common - down the hall bath, shared by male and females. I wouldn't go there. I hope they change.

Peace
Sheryl Hill

Old 09-27-2008, 06:16 PM

38 posts, read 151,080 times
I got one of these letters for my daughter last year for a trip to DC. I got another one today for a trip to Ireland.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,451 times
i have now travelled three times with people to people first summer of 04 to Australia and New Zealand, then summer of 08 to England, Ireland, Scottland, and Wales finally to the inauguration january 09. all of these trips have been great i have learned alot and seen areas not available to the normall tourist. i have met friends from the countries i have traveled to along with people from all over the U.S. i plan on travleing again and i know many people i have traveled with have or at least want to travel again. I suggest if there is anyway possible to travel with people to people. if you do what you know your supposed to and what the leaders tell you to do you are going to have a great travel experince.

Last edited by travelbug09; 03-31-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 04-01-2009, 04:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,013,516 times
My sister went about 10 years ago also to Australia and, until she went to Belgium this month, said it was the best experience of her life. I think she was gone about a month or so and made some great friends, saw some great sights, and learned about other cultures. She worked at Chick Fil A for 2 years to pay it off and never once regretted it.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM

881 posts, read 2,244,935 times
I went on a trip in '96 (15 yrs old at the time) to the UK & Ireland and it was wonderful. I still to this day keep in touch with a few people who went on the trip.

Not sure how the program is now though but I do think it's great for HS kids to be able to travel internationally if you can afford it.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,290 times
Red face People to People sent child twice

My son went to Austriala & New Zealand for 16 days. The following summer he went to a Leadership Summit in Florida (we r in Oregon). It was a wonderful experience for him. He learned to be very responsible prior to leaving - getting up on his own, doing laundry, etc. The first trip he was 12 years old was right after 9/11 went with a group of 25 (think), the second trip he went on his own at 13 years old in 2003. He is even considering a trip again this year as a college student.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,917 times
my friend went to a few countries in Europe with People to People a couple years back and had a great time. a lot of her friends are people she met on the trip, and she still talks about it often and says how great it was. i've been invited for trips ever since middle school, and even went to some interviews last summer and got "accepted" to go to Australia and New Zealand, but ended up not going because it costs a buttload of money (which might be why a lot of people think it's a scam). honestly, from my own experience/knowledge, i think it's a great program and it'd be worth the money, providing you've got it. hope that helps

-kristin

Old 10-09-2009, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,756 times
People to People brag about the fact that colleges look for this on your resume. Has anyone had colleges comment on this. Do you feel this would help you get accepted into a college?

Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM

258 posts, read 541,370 times
Instead of sending a teen on what amounts to a tour package of an area, consider sending them to study for a summer, semester or year abroad with a reputable exchange organization. (AFS or YFU, for example but not limited to these) With an exchange program, the kids get to experience living in another country, study in the schools, and learn about the people, culture, and life.

That would really help a child to grow and mature.... much more than a 2 week vacation.

(sometimes I love old resurrected threads)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary