U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-21-2008, 05:28 PM

8,897 posts, read 14,862,044 times

Advertisements

I was just on one of the other forums and someone was asking about seasonal depression. Does anyone in the triangle area suffer from it? Or, b/c there is more sunshine then say up north, it's not an issue. From what I understand, there's plenty of sunshine in the winter, so maybe it's really not an issue there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,317,461 times
I hope not, it's one of the reasons that I'm moving down.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM

22,069 posts, read 40,057,338 times
I dont really deal with it til around March.
Winter has seem lately to drag on longer in the Spring time than I would like.
I would love to be in short sleeves around Easter but sometimes you have to dress in drab winter clothes than in Spring Colors . It seems to me Mid May we finally can open the home windows, it that kinda of weather.

The good thing about the weather you get these sporadic breaks it could be below 50 for a high one day then the 70's the next to help ease any kind of blues but your right the Sunshine helps even on the chilliest days

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM

535 posts, read 1,072,842 times
I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or seasonal depression. When I lived in Massachusetts I was on a low dosage of antidepressents starting November and I weaned off of it in April. SAD has many different symptoms and can look very different from person to person. For myself I was just always dead tired, no matter how much sleep I got, so much so that it affected my ability to live a normal life. But always by spring I would perk right up.

SAD is due to the body not being able to produce enough seratonin, the chemical that gives you energy. The sunlight actually helps to produce more seratonin in the body, so a person with SAD doesnt feel the issue as much when there is more light, but feels a signifigant decrease in winter, when the days are shorter.

It's actually one of the big reasons we decided to move south. When we decided to move for a cheaper place to live we could have stayed in New England, but my SAD was so troublesome at the time, and my Dr had mentioned there is less SAD in the south because the warmer days allow for more time outside and for the body to get more sunlight, we decided that would ba a big plus.

I still have SAD here, most noticable on gray cloudy days, or in the middle of winter, but it's not nearly as bad as it was from the north, and it's much more managable. I still take anti depressents but for a much shorter period of time. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,811,728 times
Actually, every spot on earth gets exactly the same amount of "sunshine" in a year (not counting cloudy areas, such as the Pacific NW, but "light vs dark")). Northern areas where it gets dark earlier in the winter, also stay light later in the summer.

But, when it starts getting dark earlier (and WOW, all of a sudden it seems like night comes on SO quickly compared to a couple of weeks ago!), I think some people DO get prone to SAD. The next couple of months are prime time, not to mention when Daylight Saving Time ends and it gets dark at 5:30.

Then again, those of us with delayed sleep phases LIKE it to get dark earlier, as we can go to sleep better than when it's light until 9!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:39 PM

40 posts, read 73,891 times
I suffered from it real bad, until I moved here. Now I am much better.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,317,461 times
I don't need meds but I tend to hibernate all winter and I can't stand it anymore. I hate the grey NY/NJ sky.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,072,842 times
It's not so much the amount of sunshine per day, it's the ability to be outdoors for longer periods of the year due to a milder climate that allows your body even more of a chance to be in the sunlight. It's a lot easier to be outside in December here in NC than it is in Mass.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 AM

847 posts, read 2,412,548 times
When we were up north, it was very common (people would start shooting their refrigerators around, say, January--I'm not sure why refrigerators). I don't hear about it here, so I think it is not common. The winter sun is at a very bright angle in the mornings here... if you can get out for 15 minutes first thing in the morning for a walk or something, it will do wonders.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:12 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,724,270 times
Seasonal Depression, heck depression non-seasonal! I think of one thing and that one thing is H.O.P.E (Having Overly Popping Excitement) for life! We got one and only one to use as we chose. To some its short and to others its a lifetime! What one does between life's boundary lines is mostly up to them.

To some the sky is falling and are crushed by the weight while to others the sky is falling and they love playing in the puffy clouds as they fall! Which one are you?

Depression can come and sting you and even bite you so stay alert stay active and they say the best way to deal with the 'Blues' is to go 'Yellow' as in SUNSHINE!

Happy Monday and this is a No Depression Zone spin at your own risk!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary