U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2007, 05:14 AM

9,064 posts, read 18,327,477 times
Question Looking for a Good Area Rug Dealer in the Triangle

Can anyone recommend a good place to go buy area rugs in the triangle area? My wife and I are trying to hunt down one last area rug to go under our dining room table. We are looking for a bit of an odd size rug (8' X 10') so we need a place with lots of rugs to choose from since 8' x 10' seems harder to come by. We would get the more common bigger sizes, but that would literally cover every inch of our new hardwood floors in the dining room which would be a big bummer!

We aren't looking for anything fancy and expensive like hand made rugs.....we are fine with machine made. We have already checked out the selections at Lowes and Home Depot and Home Goods. We also visited one Oriental Rug Store in Cary by the Trader Joes. The place in Cary had a great selection, but we felt they were a bit over priced and the sales people were very pushy. We found a rug we wanted at the Cary Store at the Home Goods in Briar Creek for $150 less....so we bought it there of course!

Anybody know other good rug places to check out? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 06:32 AM

2,828 posts, read 8,003,725 times
I hate to say this as we went through the same thing........but we ended up stopping at IKEA on the way home from my sister's house in DC.........I never really found what I was looking for around here.

Leigh

Old 02-09-2007, 01:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,986,757 times
You might want to check out Capal on Glenwood. They have a huge selection and a large variety in price.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:11 AM

9,064 posts, read 18,327,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
You might want to check out Capal on Glenwood. They have a huge selection and a large variety in price.
Thanks for the recommendation! We checked out Capal on Sunday and were amazed at the selection. That place is so much bigger than it looks on the outside! The sales people are very helpful as well and not pushy at all.

We didn't buy anything yet becasue we are still trying to determine the right size rug to go under the dining room table. It is an Oval table that is a total of 60" long by 42" wide and seats 6. I know conventional wisdom is to have the rug extend several feet out on all sides of the table so the chair legs all rest on the rug when seated, but we can't decide on the perfect size as the dining room is very small...only 10.75' W X 11.75 L and we don't want to cover every inch of our hardwood floors! If anybody has sugestions on sizes or shapes they would use in this situation I am all ears!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:44 AM

56 posts, read 249,735 times
We put off getting area rugs for under our kitchen and dining room tables for too long after we had the new floors installed... I should have made up my mind about which rugs I wanted and insisted on getting them right away, because now the floors have obvious scratches where the chairs have been pushed back and forth! We even had protective "feet" on the chair legs, but it didn't help. I'm planning to buy the rugs and put them down in our new house before we even have the movers deliver our furniture! To determine rug sizes, I am going to pull all the chairs out from the table (as far as I think we'd take them to pull up to/push away from the table), take the largest measurement, and get a rug that size! I can imagine how you wouldn't want to cover up every inch of the nice-looking floor, but I know from experience that it will drive me nuts to have the floor scratched... I cringe every time someone moves a chair now! For my own sanity (and my family and guests too) I would rather not be able to see the floor at all than watch it getting ruined! Just my personal (somewhat compulsive, I admit) opinion and comfort level.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM

583 posts, read 2,008,048 times
This might be one of those situations, where you buy from a place that accepts returns, b/c you might need to bring home a few choices to try!

I was going to suggest Capel also... you might want to try Target too? Some of the larger/newer stores have a pretty good selection of rugs.

Here's few more that you might want to check out too...

Rug Decor on Captial Blvd--> http://www.thadscarpetone.com/
International Carpet Outlet on Atlantic Ave--> http://www.internationalcarpetoutlet.com/ (broken link)
Green Front Furniture on Yonkers Rd--> http://www.greenfront.com/orientals.html (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 11,716 times
You may also want to check out a neat place in Wilson, NC called Oveysey Oriental Rugs. They have excellent prices, though most of their inventory is hand woven and they have a nice selection of 8x10's.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 AM

405 posts, read 1,144,468 times
I'd try online, actually.

www.homedecorators.com has a TON of well-priced area rugs, and overstock.com has a great selection as well. With regard to local stores, I've found some nice, reasonably priced rugs at Home Goods.

The rug in my dining room is actually a carpet remnant that we had bound to our (CUSTOM) specifications. It only cost me $79 for a 8x10ish rug. I got it at Frazee Carpet in Durham on Hillsborough Rd.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:45 PM

367 posts, read 717,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to go buy area rugs in the triangle area? My wife and I are trying to hunt down one last area rug to go under our dining room table. We are looking for a bit of an odd size rug (8' X 10') so we need a place with lots of rugs to choose from since 8' x 10' seems harder to come by. We would get the more common bigger sizes, but that would literally cover every inch of our new hardwood floors in the dining room which would be a big bummer!

We aren't looking for anything fancy and expensive like hand made rugs.....we are fine with machine made. We have already checked out the selections at Lowes and Home Depot and Home Goods. We also visited one Oriental Rug Store in Cary by the Trader Joes. The place in Cary had a great selection, but we felt they were a bit over priced and the sales people were very pushy. We found a rug we wanted at the Cary Store at the Home Goods in Briar Creek for $150 less....so we bought it there of course!

Anybody know other good rug places to check out? Thanks!
I buy them online. I goto the stores, find what I want, and buy it from certified Ebay sellers.

Just recently we bought a rug for almost half of the price that places like Rug Decor wanted. Rug Decor wanted $449 for the rug we wanted and I bought it online for $299 including shipping. It was a nice, thick rug from this collection:

http://www.owsphinx.com/

Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 3,889,174 times
anyone else have a suggestion for a place to find a good affordable rug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary