Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM

45 posts, read 178,856 times

Advertisements

I work in RTP on a late shift and regularly get stuck at traffic lights because they won't change. I usually make a right going out of my to get home due to lights not changing. Is anybody else having similar issues? I read that there are certain lights that are triggered by dipoles and such and have tried a few times to change the light with no luck. Does anybody know if we're allowed to run a red light if no traffic is around? I ask because I was pulled over in my car a few months back but the officer let me go but said "wait for the light". Now I'm on my motorcycle and don't think the light will ever change unless a car arrives on the opposite side of the street!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
You're not alone. The lights are triggered when they detect the magnetic field interference produced by a vehicle resting over the sensors laid in the road. Unfortunately, your motorcycle does not produce a large enough "disturbance in the force" to trigger these sensors.

You can buy gizmos like this which are basically super-strong magnets you attach to the bottom of your motorcycle -- it produces enough interference to trigger the light sensors, and it's legal.

I've also heard that revving your RPMs a few times while parked over the sensor will create a similar effect, but it's never worked for me.

I remember that some NC state legislator was actually sponsoring a bill a year or two ago that would make it legal for vehicles to run a red light after X number of cycles had passed without a green (and when no other vehicles were around), but I'm pretty sure it never passed. For now, there's no legal way for you to get through that red light without taking the right turn like you do now (unless you get the gizmo I mentioned above, at least).

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
You actually are allowed. I'll double check the rule with my DH, but he's a cycle rider and there IS a cycle rule about allowing cycles to go through red lights. He's checked and double checked, so I know it's true. I think it's 90 seconds, but it might be more than that. I'll ask him in the morning and post here.

Last edited by lamishra; 09-23-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You actually are allowed. I'll double check the rule with my DH, but he's a cycle rider and there IS a cycle rule about allowing cycles to go through red lights. He's checked and double checked, so I know it's true. I think it's 90 seconds, but it might be less than that. I'll ask him in the morning and post here.
Please do. No disrespect, but I've also researched this and came up with the results I posted above -- if you can actually link to or cite the related law, It'd save me a lot of waiting at lights.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:58 PM

Ah, I found the legislation -- it passed in December '07:

Quote:
"§ 20‑158. Vehicle control signs and signals.

(e) Defense. – It shall be a defense to a violation of sub-subdivision (b)(2)a. of this section if the operator of a motorcycle, as defined in G.S. 20‑4.01(27)d., shows all of the following:

(1) The operator brought the motorcycle to a complete stop at the intersection or stop bar where a steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator.

(2) The intersection is controlled by a vehicle actuated traffic signal using an inductive loop to activate the traffic signal.

(3) No other vehicle that was entitled to have the right-of-way under applicable law was sitting at, traveling through, or approaching the intersection.

(4) No pedestrians were attempting to cross at or near the intersection.

(5) The motorcycle operator who received the citation waited a minimum of three minutes at the intersection or stop bar where the steady red light was being emitted in the direction of the operator before entering the intersection.
In other words, you'll still get pulled over by police for running the light, but you'll have a "defense" if you can demonstrate the above five points. Not great, but better than nothing.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Please do. No disrespect, but I've also researched this and came up with the results I posted above -- if you can actually link to or cite the related law, It'd save me a lot of waiting at lights.
I can't link to it as I don't ride, I just know my husband has spent a lot of time himself researching it and physically calling people about it. My DH is a VERY law abiding person I can guarantee he wouldn't do if anything if he didn't know he could. Again, I will ask him what he knows in the morning and post here. Maybe he can send me a link to something I can post here for you.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
They do sell magnets just for this to hook to the bottom of the gas tank online if you want to try to get the light to change, that will help as well.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:07 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Different localities have different laws but it is legal or excusable in some areas to proceed safely through a red light on a motorcycle if the bike wont trip the light. In some places it is a certain amount of time and in others it is so many light cycles. You will have to check the local laws where you generaly ride.
As far as magnets, there are pros and cons. They need to be mounted lower than the bottom of the gas tank though. They should be mounted under the lowest part of the frame. Some people say they don't work anyway and are just a sales gimmick. I don't know.
A few times I have lowered the sidestand, shut down the bike and restarted it. With the metal from the side stand touching the ground and the magentic field created by making the starter spin, I have gotten a light change but who knows, it might just have been coincidence.
In the past some streets had weight sensors instead of a magnetic sensor, or so I have been told.
If you happen to stop over the old style sensor, none of this will work anyway if you have a smaller bike but there probably isn't many of the old style around anymore.
One time I got off the bike and pushed the pedestrian "Push to Walk" button and got the light to change but I don't bother with that anymore.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
You actually are allowed. I'll double check the rule with my DH, but he's a cycle rider and there IS a cycle rule about allowing cycles to go through red lights. He's checked and double checked, so I know it's true. I think it's 90 seconds, but it might be more than that. I'll ask him in the morning and post here.
It went into effect last January - its 3 minutes you have to wait before pulling through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary