Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2007, 07:18 PM

189 posts, read 753,533 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that NC is referred to as "The Tarheel State" and that one of the local college teams is called "The Tarheels." How did that descriptor originate and what does it mean?

I'm originally from California and understand the connection with "The Golden State." I now live in New Hampshire and "The Granite State" makes sense. But "The Tarheel State?" That's got me stumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
I've noticed that NC is referred to as "The Tarheel State" and that one of the local college teams is called "The Tarheels." How did that descriptor originate and what does it mean?

I'm originally from California and understand the connection with "The Golden State." I now live in New Hampshire and "The Granite State" makes sense. But "The Tarheel State?" That's got me stumped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_Heel

Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 PM

106 posts, read 733,283 times
My license plate might say "North Carolina," but a tarheel I'm not

Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
The historic Revolutionary (and sometimes Civil) War references are the ones I've often heard the most - also the most logical.

Just be glad there's a reasonably consistent explanation for the history of the term. I lived in Indiana for 30 years and never met anyone (educator or otherwise) who could explain what a "Hoosier" was, without invoking some story about some drunkard's ear getting cut off.

The "Tar Heel" nickname is associated with The University by virtue of UNC-Chapel Hill being the first public university in the state. Even though the mascot is a ram, I think claiming the "Tar Heel" nickname helped to assure that there wouldn't be any confusion with other school nicknames and obviously helped to link the school to residents of the state (as it is with Tennessee and "Volunteers", Ohio State and "Buckeyes", etc). To delve any deeper beyond that would involve getting into history I'm not personally familiar with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary