U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 PM

331 posts, read 1,201,379 times

Advertisements

Im new to this state so someone help me out here....why are so many gas stations out of gas...I am in North Raleigh so Im not in some out of the way place. I just dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,237,914 times
Maybe someone can answer this a little better but there are still problems with oil refinieries that ship gas to this state due to Ike. It'll last a little while longer im afraid. Im expecting to hear reports of state-wide looting and rioting over this shortage anyday now.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:56 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,110,747 times
I got gas today at Crabtree and that station said they were fine. $3.89 for regular

Old 09-24-2008, 05:00 PM

126 posts, read 416,382 times
It's the pipeline problem. Watch the news for the details; I don't remember verbatim. My brother in Nashville says things are much, much, much worse there so breathe easy that here in North Ral, we only have to look around a little if they're out.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWrangler View Post
It's the pipeline problem. Watch the news for the details; I don't remember verbatim. My brother in Nashville says things are much, much, much worse there so breathe easy that here in North Ral, we only have to look around a little if they're out.
That's my understanding too. Reduced pipeline supplies from Colonial and Plantation in addition to the panic buying by the public. The western part of the state is experiencing the worst shortages.

The last I've read, nine refineries remain shut down in Texas, accounting for 2.3 million barrels a day, and another 10 or 11 are in start-up mode or operating at reduced runs. Refinery startups can take a week to 10 days, and the fuel travels in the pipelines at about 4 mph, meaning gasoline takes a week to 10 days to reach the state and a bit longer for tanker trucks to make their deliveries at neighborhood service stations. They say the shortages should end next week if the panic buying stops. Unless your tank is 1/4 or less, wait to refuel.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:36 PM

100 posts, read 216,460 times
Self fulfilling prophecies caused by the sheep that follow their fear-mongering masters and puppets...the same reason why so many things are fubar right now...

Press Releases

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-28-2008 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-24-2008, 07:01 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,276,458 times
Panic and fear!!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:13 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,856,868 times
I'm in NJ and want to relo to there. Of course, the first thing my mother said was, "See? That's why you gotta watch and take your time and not rush into moving there. You see? Nobody has any gas!" If we ran out of gas around here I can only imagine the riots that would ensue!! And we have good public trans...But seriously, we have our own refineries and don't have to depend on Texas, y'all. I think I will buy my Prius before I move so I don't have to worry about NC not having gas when things happen in Texas!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM

115 posts, read 408,341 times
Supposedly only the no name or independent gas stations are running out of gas. Have now idea how accurate this is, think i read it on wral. The stations that have contracts with suppliers are still getting gas deliveries, so I don't think all stations will run dry.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,786,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbgirl View Post
Supposedly only the no name or independent gas stations are running out of gas. Have now idea how accurate this is, think i read it on wral. The stations that have contracts with suppliers are still getting gas deliveries, so I don't think all stations will run dry.
I drove past two BP stations in Chapel Hill this evening that were out of gas entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary