U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:56 PM

237 posts, read 933,485 times

Advertisements

I see many of you are looking into moving to NC. Unfortunately we are heading out of NC. Work moved us here and is now moving us again to TX! We just bought brand new construction in Holly Springs in August. I think it is going to be a challenge to sell our house with all the new construction competition. Realtor suggested a stager, which we hired. Also suggested getting wooden blinds for windows as this may be an advantage over new construction since the buyer wont have to bear the expense of window coverings. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions to help our "practically new house" stand out from the rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 03:05 PM

1,860 posts, read 6,725,916 times
I think you do need to do things like window coverings to make your home have something the brand new ones don't. We bought in HS in August (moved in the end of Sept.) as well. There are many homes in our neighborhood that are for sale and the one thing that they offer that the new ones don't is they have a lower price tag than the high high selling price the new homes are coming with. Also many of the lots are nicer. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,581,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
I see many of you are looking into moving to NC. Unfortunately we are heading out of NC. Work moved us here and is now moving us again to TX! We just bought brand new construction in Holly Springs in August. I think it is going to be a challenge to sell our house with all the new construction competition. Realtor suggested a stager, which we hired. Also suggested getting wooden blinds for windows as this may be an advantage over new construction since the buyer wont have to bear the expense of window coverings. Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions to help our "practically new house" stand out from the rest?
Let me just say I am not a typical buyer in that area. But personally I'd much rather find they house I want which has already been built than go through the ground up process that buying new requires.

Landscaping: if you have a nicely landscaped yard (beyond the 1 tree the builder put in the front yard) then that is money and TIME that the buyer will not have to do. Lets face it, new constrution is not always "move in ready" on the outside. Make your yard "move in ready" so it stands out. Plant some bushes that will flower this spring!! I would think most folks moving to Holly Springs have kids or are going to have kids. So make the yard family friendly too, but low maintance landscaping is good for everyone.

The wood blinds are good. Rooms that you are not putting in wood blinds look for tasteful neutral window treatments. Smith & Noble is a good source for those.

If you have any wall paper, even a border, get rid of it. Wall paper is very subjective. Good wall colors that are neutral. This doens't mean beige. Check out Devinecolordesign.com for a pleasing palette. Your stager probably told you this, but pack away the sports memorbilia if you have it out. You'd hate to have potential buyer who really hates the team you like.

At this point it probably won't be worth it to you to make these sort of changes. But flooring is HUGE for me. I'd much rather have a house w/ hardwoods on all the main floor (except the kitchen... tile in the kitchen, but hardwood in the kitchen seems big there) than partial hardwoods and carpet. And it's a pain to rip up and install something new.

Good luck!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:11 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,753,601 times
Before we bought our house, my wife and I looked at neighborhoods with both new and existing home sales. The biggest factor for us when deciding between an existing home sale and a new home in the same neighborhood was price. An existing home with a lower price tag than a new home down the street is a big draw.

To us, something like blinds wouldn't really matter. You might put up something the potential buyer would just rip down anyway. I'd say put the money you would have spent on blinds to make your price even more attractive.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:28 PM

the reason we thought blinds is we are on a corner lot. To us that wasn't a negative factor since both streets are quiet streets deep in the subdivision. Also, I like the idea of being able to see the kids on the side of the house playing in the street. Some potential buyers have said the yard lacks privacy due to being on the corner (again, see my comments above). We did plant shrubs along the entire back plot line but they will take a year or two to fill in and offer that privacy. So, instead of investing in a fence, we thought blinds might take the edge off of being on the corner.

Our driveway is a small incline and that was mentioned too. I have to say at first I noticed it too but there are many more houses in the subdivision with huge incline driveways. We got past the driveway because we loved the house and again, being so deep into the subdivision...knew our kids would be playing out in the street.

Thanks for all the input, we appreciate it.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,619,300 times
See now, even if a potential buyer would want to replace the blinds you put up with plantation shutters at least there would be something in its place in the meantime. Window coverings add the finishing touch to a room in my opinion and get rid of the "living in a fishbowl" feeling which might turn buyers off. Landscaping is a big one too, but you don't want to overdo it. Low maintenance & clean, but more than the builder's tree or 2.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:56 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,053,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
To us, something like blinds wouldn't really matter. You might put up something the potential buyer would just rip down anyway. I'd say put the money you would have spent on blinds to make your price even more attractive.
I agree. A seller will not want to take a loss on his house. However, because he's only been in it for a few months, he hasn't built up any equity. So, he'll list it at the price he paid, plus a 6% commission. Now he's priced his house up into the same territory as the brand new houses. Lower the price and have your company (they're the ones transferring you, right?) eat the loss.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:47 AM

long story but they wont eat up the loss so unless we want to be jobless, we are doing things "there way". Dont you love corporate america!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM

thats stinks. we had a similar situation happen to us but we were happy to be returning home to NC. Luckily we were able to break even.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM

I think they key is to get people IN your house. I think a lot of people make an assumption based on a 'drive by'. I dont think it is fair to judge a house soley by the exterior. In the days of 'upgrades' i think it is important to view the entire house before making a decision. I doubt there is a "perfect' house. I am sure all of us have compromised on something during their home buying. Dont worry, that one buyer you need is right around the corner and that person that judged your house by a drive by or thought they could find something better may very well be sorry.

i'd love to hear what people compromised when deciding on their house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary