Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 PM

74 posts, read 185,676 times

Advertisements

What kind of home will $175,000 buy in Durham? We would like to be in a good school district and have an average size, 3+ bedrooms, 1.5+ bath.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
There are some nice homes in Grove Park in that price range. About 1500-2000 sf with 1-2 car garages. It's one of the highest selling neighborhoods complete with a pool, tennis courts, walking trails, etc.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM

9 posts, read 25,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
What kind of home will $175,000 buy in Durham? We would like to be in a good school district and have an average size, 3+ bedrooms, 1.5+ bath.

Thanks!

You can get a smaller home with a garage or small to medium home without a garage. I would not say that Durham has good school districts. You can find individual good schools within a school district, but the overall schools in Durham are not as good as the overall schools in Western Wake County and even less so compared to the ones in Chapel Hill.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Tail It To NC View Post
You can get a smaller home with a garage or small to medium home without a garage. I would not say that Durham has good school districts. You can find individual good schools within a school district, but the overall schools in Durham are not as good as the overall schools in Western Wake County and even less so compared to the ones in Chapel Hill.
I think that depends on what you consider "good schools". If you are referring to the level of education available, or the quality of the teachers or programs, Durham is as good if not better than the other local districts. Durham just happens to have a higher percentage of ED and LEP students which historically don't test as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
If you look in the existing homes, not newly built but I don't mean a fixer-upper, you will find a lot of house for 175. At least 3BR, 2BA, don't forget giant yards with neighbors spread far apart. There are many great schools in Durham, so you have a lot of choices. (And speaking of choice, we have several magnet/optional year-round options.)

Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,471 times
I second Grove Park. Our home is a 3bd 2.5ba with bonus over garage, 1 car garage. We paid $164K 18 months ago and I don't think prices have changed much since then. We also have a golf course view and the neighborhood has a pool, tennis courts, club house, walking paths. Very nice.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,885 times
Durham offers lots of choices for homes priced around $175k. Of course the biggest variable is location, location, location. One question that leaps to mind is are you willing to consider older homes? If so, how old are you willing to have your home be? Secondly, are you willing to consider a townhome? If so, that opens up a wide range of choices for you.

Southwest Durham tends to be the most expensive area and it will be the most difficult (though not impossible!) in that area to find a single family home there that meets your criteria. East Durham is definitely more afforable and offers a lot of good choices for your dollar however these homes tend to take longer to sell on re-sale. Northern Durham is also a good value in terms of what you can get for your money but the distance to most employment areas (RTP) can frequently rule Northern Durham out for a lot of people.

There are some re-sale options in or near Hope Valley in your price range. Hope Valley is (I think) very conveniently located and offers schools that typically "test well."

I can never make recommendations about schools but I never know what people define as "good." Therefore I would strongly suggest that you check out the DPS website as www.dpsnc.net. That site will have all of the information you need regarding test scores. Beyond that, I know that DPS has an open door policy. Simply call a school that is interesting to you and the principal will make time to meet with you and show you the school. You know your child and what they need better than anyone, so check it out for yourself!

Good luck!
Jill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary