Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times

Advertisements

seems like a constant flow of bad news on the jobs front - following Mondays announcement of 400 job losses at Sony Ericsson there was the news yesterday that another bunch of R&D Scientists at GSK will soon be out of work and no doubt the fall out of the banking crisis will cause other job losses which will impact the local economy as companies hunker down

newsobserver.com | Phone maker lets ax fall (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1237565.html - broken link)

newsobserver.com | Scientists taking brunt of GSK cuts (http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1238714.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
My sympathy goes out to those that have or will be receiving pink slips.

Having gone through a lay-off myself, I know it can be a huge personal and financial shock and often wonder where these huge numbers of people(real people, sometimes lost in the sheer numbers) go and how the economy absorbs them.

With the current outlook, I'm not so sure how or where the economy will in the short term. It is going to prove to be a very challenging job market in many areas impacted by these cuts and others such as HP's coming layoff of almost 25,000 and jobs in the financial sector flood the job market.

Good luck and best wishes to all.

Al

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
My sympathy goes out to those that have or will be receiving pink slips.

Good luck and best wishes to all.
Thanks for the kind words. I was walked out the door this morning at Sony Ericsson. . . . one of the 400-500 layoffs that were announced this week. I'm looking on the bright side though. . . . .I now have LOTS of time that I can spend with my 3 yr old son.

And if anyone has any leads on SW positions in the area, please PM me

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I was walked out the door this morning at Sony Ericsson. . . . one of the 400-500 layoffs that were announced this week. I'm looking on the bright side though. . . . .I now have LOTS of time that I can spend with my 3 yr old son.

Man I'm really sorry to hear that NewUser. I have a couple of friends from Virginia Tech who work over at Sony. I need to check in with them to see how they are making out. My neighbor works at GSK and I don't know his status either.

I'm not in your field, but I will keep my eyes and ears open and will forward any leads I come across.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Quote:

Ugh, that's terrible. Best of luck...

- geoff

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear it, man.

I'm a GSK'er who was displaced earlier this year. I landed back at the company after a couple of months at home, but continue to think the end may be just around the corner. I'm not in R&D, but my gut tells me this is just one more in a chain of layoffs that will him my company in the coming months.

Best of luck to you in your job search.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the support.

I have about 4 months of severance, but I know from experience that it will go fast. It took me 6 months to find a job in 2004. It also took me 8 months to find a job once my wife and I decided to come here in 2006. That was back when the economy was rockin'.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:27 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
My hubby is a scientist GSK, and he was advised that his entire department is at risk.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Deepest sympathies newuser. I've had plenty of friends who've been in the same terrible position as large layoffs have been going on for years here in Rochester, NY with the downsizing of Eastman Kodak...those stopped now just in time for what looks to be the worst recession since the 1930's. I also fell on some rough times after the 01 recession when we lived in Lochmere in Cary and know it hurts. Keep your chin up and just hope and prey for the best.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-28-2008 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: off topic he no longer a member

Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I had this happen to me in 1989 in New Orleans. We were penniless when I landed a new IT job in Raleigh after 6 months. The pay was 30% less - alternative was a homeless center.

Bad thing in the Triangle is that most jobs do not pay well here. Those displaced from tech just can't expect something like retail to tide them over.

We survived but had to abandon our home and file Chapter 7.

I wish the best to those who were displaced and hope they land in a new slot ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary