Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM

128 posts, read 453,036 times

Advertisements

After the recent fights in the high schools, there has been so much discussion on this forum about gang activity, I thought maybe a new thread focusing solely on that issue would be helpful. No matter where you live, we need to accept there’s a problem, if not in YOUR neighborhood, then in the one next to yours, or the one next to that one. The problem is all over and it’s growing. It’s evidenced in our schools, well-known by most any high school kid, and easy enough to find out about when you start looking.

What we need are solutions to the problem, other than just picking up stakes and heading to the next new place where, presumably, there is no shady activity. At some point, you have to take a stand and work to retain your high property value and the quality of life in your community. So what can be done? None of us want to live with it in our neighborhoods; therefore, we need to know how to prevent and/or get rid of gang activity in every neighborhood.

Currently, there is work being done. I found the following website and I’m scouring for more information. But if there are police on these forums or anyone else who might have an educated viewpoint on the subject, can we hear from you, please?

WakeGOV.com - Wake County Gang Prevention Partnership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Personally, I would like to see Raleigh hire law enforcement that is experienced in gang problems in larger cities. Raleigh is a growing area. It's going to grow into larger city problems. The bad always follows the good. IMO, Charlotte made a great move by recruiting away the Richmond police chief. Raleigh needs to be looking do do the same. We need to devise ways to let the powers that be know that this is a priority for the area.

I looked at the link provided. The attached brochures reminded me of grad school projects; concise plans that will only work in a perfect world. Sorry if I'm a downer.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 PM

91 posts, read 308,492 times
my neighborhood in raleigh had a string of break ins a couple of months back. we had a meeting with the raleigh PD and their community relations officer. They did an analysis of some of the graffitti in the area and were able to determine the gang involved

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
The only way to stop gangs is to strengthen families. Kids join gangs to have a family when there isn't one at home.

Immorality and promiscuity breeds gangs.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,832 times
Default illiegal aliens, family

Put pressure on the county and city officials to get the illegals aliens out, that will take a good portion of the gangs out (yes not all but a good amount) I have heard to the Wake county sheriff is supposed to be cracking down on illegals but you never know if it is just talk or not.

i agree with a other poster that you need a strong family to keep the communications line open to make sure that your kids are heading in that directions. At the teen stage is when teens clam up and think they are adults and dont ned family. Also dont be suprised if the kid is being pressured or even threatned into a gang...then maybe its time for other things like moving or a different. private / homeschool.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:49 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Unfortunately, it's often the parents that need to be aware that never think its their child.

The state must receive some type of funding or something for gang graffiti clean-up. One phone call gets immediate results. It's odd for any government office to react that quick.

I wish there was more that we could do as citizens. I don't have school aged children, but I feel for parents that do have them. It must be scary to send your kids to a seemingly safe place (school) and then see incidents like the recent brawl at Wakefield.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
The family/parent comments pretty much sum it up. It's not just involvement though; parents on the whole are far too often ridiculously lenient and spoil kids rotten nowdays......then wonder why Little Johnny is out of control. Gee must be "ADD," let's get some magic happy pills from the doctor

ie lotta people out there who should've been neutered at an early age.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM

100 posts, read 242,956 times
Concealed Carry FAQ

Old 10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

140 posts, read 621,459 times
As someone who "ran with the wrong crowd as a young teenager I'll tell you one thing. Most kids that join gangs do so because they feel they have no other choice. Single parent households and a welfare system that encourages the father to leave the home does not help. A lack of afterschool programs, art and music also does not help.

Give these kids something to live for and the real possibilities shine through. However put them in a situation of economic despair, starved of any real adult support or guidance and they will seek out that feeling of belonging and love from the wrong place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary