U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM

108 posts, read 337,217 times
Default Jobs in RTP

Hi! I've been e-mailing resumes like mad to many companies in the RTP. Does anyone have any insight to finding a job there? I assumed there were lots of jobs (that's why people are moving there like lemmings, right?) but I haven't had a single response. Assuming I'm half-way intelligent, what's the deal? Are most positions filled by transfers? Is it REALLY so competitive? Anyone?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM

18 posts, read 35,923 times
What kind of a job are you looking for? I'm hoping that we're not in for the same kind of thing as I'll be shipping off my DH's resumes this week.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM

1,531 posts, read 5,172,924 times
I'd bet partly the massive influx of newcomers down here is beginning to overcome the number of job openings...at least in certain fields. Others (doctors, teachers, nurses, civil engineers, etc) probably have good deal of openings left, but some of the popular fields traditionally linked to the Triangle (especially IT) are beginning to see the opposite now. Between the newcomers and the recent grads in the area's many colleges, the openings are very competitive I'm sure.

For what it's worth...I'm an Environmental Scientist in state government, and we seem to always have openings.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:50 PM

19,407 posts, read 30,266,612 times
Find a headhunter to market your skills.
Move to the area and network like mad.
Transfer with the job.

Don't give up, but getting a job by mail is a tough way to go unless you are a real show stopper, IMO.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM

177 posts, read 594,823 times
If you're looking for a job in high tech or design, let me know. I'll see if I can point you to a few lesser known places.

eileen

Old 02-12-2007, 06:30 AM

4 posts, read 9,236 times
Are you looking for a company to relocate you? (cover your move)

If not, maybe you should indicate that you are planning to "move yourself" in the cover letter. While I could not do it, I meet people every day that moved here w/out a job. They begin the job hunt when they get here. To a local employer that means no relocation expense. If they see your resume w/ an out-of-area address maybe they feel that it's going to cost more to hire you. If you state in the cover letter that you plan to cover your own move, then you are "local" from an expense point of view.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 AM

694 posts, read 1,869,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
I assumed there were lots of jobs (that's why people are moving there like lemmings, right?)
Actually the most common reason people are moving here like lemmings is because housing is more affordable than where they are coming from. As far as "lots of jobs", I can only speak regarding IT jobs, and there aren't as many jobs as people think or as you may think when you look at Monster postings. Lots of postings in that site are either duplicates or inexistent jobs posted by recruiters looking to "beef up" their resume database for potential future openings.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 AM

4,883 posts, read 10,153,917 times
We didn't move here for the jobs (there were more jobs where we used to live)

We didn't move here for lower housing costs (it was cheaper in our previous state)

What we did come here for is the climate, smaller city, and proximity to more outdoor activities (e.g., mountains, beaches, etc)

We love it here. . . but. . . . it took me 6 months to find a job in RTP before we made the move. Now that we are here, my wife still hasn't found a job and it's been 7 months.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:47 AM

108 posts, read 337,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
I'd bet partly the massive influx of newcomers down here is beginning to overcome the number of job openings...at least in certain fields. Others (doctors, teachers, nurses, civil engineers, etc) probably have good deal of openings left, but some of the popular fields traditionally linked to the Triangle (especially IT) are beginning to see the opposite now. Between the newcomers and the recent grads in the area's many colleges, the openings are very competitive I'm sure.

For what it's worth...I'm an Environmental Scientist in state government, and we seem to always have openings.
Uhoh, no jobs left. My degree is in microbiology, but I haven't worked in the field for about 5 years. I just interviewed (and was considered a strong candidate) for a local position with the Soil and Water Conservation Commission, but the local good ol' boy network had another candidate they wanted. What kind of positions are available with the state? I really got excited about the possibility of the SWCC and I always enjoy speaking with our forestry commission guys here in GA.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:31 AM

9,064 posts, read 18,335,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
Uhoh, no jobs left. My degree is in microbiology, but I haven't worked in the field for about 5 years. I just interviewed (and was considered a strong candidate) for a local position with the Soil and Water Conservation Commission, but the local good ol' boy network had another candidate they wanted. What kind of positions are available with the state? I really got excited about the possibility of the SWCC and I always enjoy speaking with our forestry commission guys here in GA.
You can view jobs with the North Carolina Department of Environment and NAtural Resources (NCDENR) at the following Link:

http://xapps.enr.state.nc.us/hr/jobs/vacancyList.jsp?status=E (broken link)

Just be aware that the hiring process can sometimes take a few months. I would look into state positions to augment your current job search, but you will most likely find a better salary in the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary