Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 PM

144 posts, read 935,628 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the locals thought of Duke. I've heard everything out here from it's a great school in a great town to it's a bunch of preppy, ostentatious, spoiled kids who only party, sniff cocaine and spend daddy's money. I've also heard that the relations between blacks and whites is bad on campus.

I've also heard that the Duke-Durham relationship is not good. I can't imagine it is too good after the fruad-rape case, but I've heard that it's been bad for a long time. They told me it's a rich, white kids club in the middle of a poor, black, run-down town and that people from each side hate each other.

Yet, I know Duke is a wonderful school that offers a world-class education. But are the 'off the record' qualities really that bad?

I've never been to the south in my life. What's the culture shock like moving from San Diego to Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 10:20 PM

135 posts, read 598,978 times
I just visited Duke a few weeks ago (considering it for grad school). The graduate students seem to believe the undergrads are a bunch of snotty rich kids, but the graduate student population is much more economically diverse. I you will find the characterization of Durham as run-down to be false. It seems to be up-and-coming and they have done some nice things with the downtown area. The area feels small, especially if you are coming from SoCal. The campus itself is quite nice. I am coming from the largest university in the US and to me Duke itself felt small and everyone knew everyone else, which weirded me out a little. However, the (grad) students I talked to all liked it and the school seemed to make a real effort to make college life there enjoyable.

I have also heard about the Duke-Durham relationship being strained, but I didn't experience anything in the few days I was there. Mostly just UNC kids yelling at Duke kids about basketball.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post
I was wondering what the locals thought of Duke. I've heard everything out here from it's a great school in a great town to it's a bunch of preppy, ostentatious, spoiled kids who only party, sniff cocaine and spend daddy's money. I've also heard that the relations between blacks and whites is bad on campus.

I've also heard that the Duke-Durham relationship is not good. I can't imagine it is too good after the fruad-rape case, but I've heard that it's been bad for a long time. They told me it's a rich, white kids club in the middle of a poor, black, run-down town and that people from each side hate each other.

Yet, I know Duke is a wonderful school that offers a world-class education. But are the 'off the record' qualities really that bad?

I've never been to the south in my life. What's the culture shock like moving from San Diego to Durham?
I think you pretty much summed it up. When we took a U-HAUL to Guess Rd. after my sister moved into an apartment between Durham and Chapel Hill (she's at Chapel Hill law) over the summer, I was scared --------.

Maybe I just need to get out more.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
The media WAY over-covered the rape accusations at Duke and really exaggerated the 'university vs. town' situation. It also dramatized the 'rich private school bad-boy' image, which does exist but is not the norm anywhere. Media coverage took the struggling student-stripper/hooker and pitted her against the badass-rich boys...that made for high drama news coverage with a soap opera type storyline, all to attract a larger audience.

A private school will have its share of wealthy kids, some of them even spoiled. But in attracting the academic high-achievers they get a cross section of students with grants, scholarships and financial aid mixed in with the wealthy. Schools like Duke can't only admit the well-to-do...intelligence comes from all income levels. It also draws students from all of the U.S. and the world, so the atmosphere is not a very southern one.

The city of Durham gets tagged as poor and dangerous, but the ghetto areas are not the entire city. I've been to some very nice neighborhoods in Durham, and just like any decent sized city it has good and not-so-good areas. Just don't believe everything you read and hear...

Old 02-12-2007, 05:14 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,906 times
You might want to pose your question over on the Raleigh Metro area forum for more responses...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZBOY15 View Post

In my experience, the Duke-Durham relationship is much better than that between many large, prestigious universities and the host city. In Durham, Duke is very active in community service (both in terms of time and in money -- Duke has played the swing role in the financial success of a new performing arts center, downtown revitalization, etc.), and Duke and Durham leaders have a very good rapport. Most of the "bad press" these days comes from a very, very small number of political activists (who are losing influence in the community and have lost several recent elections.) If you look at, say, Chapel Hill vs. UNC relations, I'd say things are much better in Durham.

I would also disagree with the characterization of Duke as a "rich white" club in the middle of a "poor black" town. That's an easy stereotype to make, but far from the truth... on either side.

I'd suggest visiting the town and the campus and seeing what you think, particularly your impression on the socioeconomic diversity of the campus. There's no way to know whether a school is "right" for you without checking it out. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 09:18 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
I tried my hardest not to post here

But UNC is the better school

I would never consider Duke....but of course I am a Tar Heel and that is the only reason why.

So I am bias.....

Only a local could understand how much I hate Duke

Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
I may be wrong, but I don't think we're talking about basketball here. That's one thing about North Carolina, you pretty much have to choose which one of the ACC teams you want to fanatically support and stick with it. It was hard growing up with a dad who went to Wake Forest. All my friends were North Carolina fans and there was lots of trash-talking when UNC won something (which is quite often). After I moved away to Atlanta I was able to come out of the closet in being a fan of Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, and Wake Forest. Now even throw Georgia Tech in the mix.

I know, a lot of basketball talk when I pointed out that it isn't the topic. But it sure is part of living in N.C. especially in an area with an ACC school.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:12 AM

328 posts, read 1,034,091 times
Default Duke is First Rate !!!!

Duke University is a first rate academic institution. If you choose to attend you will be educated by the best. The campus is beautiful and the relationship with the city of Durham while needing improvement ( Can't all relationships stand to improve) should not interfere with your education. The whole Lacrosse incident was, as usual, overdone in the media....Lot's of holes in the case and I believe that based on current evidence the "Players" will be exonerated...At least I think they should be...As far as "Snobs or Spoiled Preppy Rich Kids," like another poster said any private school will have that element. There are a lot of unspoiled kids at Duke for sure who don't "Party all the time"..Choose Duke..You will be better for the experience. Best of luck in you quest to choose a college.
ps If you like Basketball you are in for a treat. ACC Basketball is the Bomb !!!
And oh yeah I didn't attend Duke my wife did.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 31,299 times
I'm sorry, I think Duke is probably a great school, but Durham is terrible. I lived in Durham for my senior year of school in Chapel Hill and worked in downtown Durham while I was there. It's run down, most of the roads need work, and what I remember most about the downtown area was the huge number of vagrants wandering the streets during the day. That said, Duke has a nice campus (if you like that fake-gothic look).

I also have to throw in my two cents about something else. This may or may not be something you care about, but...Duke is kind of the red-headed step child in NC. Most of the students are out of state, and in general the people tend to LOVE UNC, State, Wake Forest or one of the public schools. And by and large they all have one thing in common - they hate Duke! Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary