Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 PM

24 posts, read 60,482 times

Advertisements

So can someone explain to me the gas price situation in the Raleigh/Durham area. We are really getting the shaft. I was talking to some family back in Texas and they are paying around $3.00 a gallon right now. So I started doing a little research. I went to gasbuddy.com and search a few different cities. First Shreveport, La (I have some friends there) 3.32 a gallon. Los Angles, Ca - 3.35 a gallon. And just for kicks Hawaii 3.72 a gallon (freaking Hawaii pays less then us). I just don't get it. I'm sending emails to my state reps and congressmen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:19 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,117,527 times
Was in VA this weekend. Filled up with premium at 3.59/gallon. On the way home, I passed a station selling regular for $3.01/gallon. VA went through the "gas scare" that Raleigh and Charlotte experienced. However, those citizens appear to be over it now; at least in the areas I visited. I filled up back in Raleigh at an Exxon. All the pumps were full with a few people waiting. One guy in a Lexus was filling up his gas container that looked like it came from the Civil War era.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,255,987 times
Actually, the station owners are the ones who are getting the shaft by the government for forcing them to sell gasoline at prices that are too cheap. Why do I say they're too cheap? A simple drive around town to see all the plastic bags over the pumps says enough. That tells me that supply and demand are not in line at all. I wonder how many gas stations have gone out of business altogether because they were forced to supply cheap gasoline to the masses, ran out, and haven't been able to get new supplies.

Until we get back on full supply, gasoline should be (and should have been for the last few weeks) about $5 a gallon in the Triangle area. But Easley and his attorney general thought market-meddling and bogus appeals to "fairness" were a better idea than letting market forces work properly.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,210,192 times
Instead of comparing differences between different State's gross gas prices I think it would be more interesting to compare differences in gas taxes charged by those same states.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:32 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,857,281 times
I also was in Northern Virginia this weekend and filled up in Cary at $3.87 early Saturday morning and was amazed to see gas at $3.32 for regular at Potomac Hills shopping mall a few hours later; it's only 200 miles away and there can be no justification for such an excessive price difference other than 'price gouging' - what happened to the NC price gouging enquiry that Gov Easley announced a few weeks ago? 55 cents a gallon price difference is way to difficult for me to understand and someone is making money even if it is not the gas station owners - we are paying $10 to fill a tank of gas compared to our neighbors

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 60,482 times
Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining about paying for higher gas prices, i'm complaining that there is such a descrepancy between state lines. Here's a link for gas taxes for you to check out.

Gasoline tax information - North Carolina Gas Prices

Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,955 times
Something crazy is defenitely going on in Raleigh (where I will be visiting in a couple weeks, yea! it's been awhile) when gas here in CT-with one of the highest gas taxes in the nation-is cheaper than in the Triangle! It's like upside-down world LOL.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,935,722 times
In FL we're paying about $3.55 a gallon.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:52 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,424,920 times
ajdiez - Many people believe it's the laws of
supply and demand.

Quote:
Instead of comparing differences between different State's gross gas prices I think it would be more interesting to compare differences in gas taxes charged by those same states
Gas Prices in the last 48 hours

Charlotte: Low $3.74 High $4.19. We are still experiencing some outages. The average in my immediate area is $3.85.

Raleigh/Durham: Low $3.63/$3.78 High $3.99/$3.99

Greensboro: Low $3.41 High $3.99

Asheville: Low $3.89

Wilmington: Low $3.33

From - NorthCarolinaGasPrices.com

I live close to the border so I often fill up in S.C.. They have a lower gas tax rate, so the prices are always lower than Charlotte. Right now gas there is on par with Raleigh prices.

Last edited by NCgirl; 10-06-2008 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 09:25 AM

36 posts, read 153,040 times
ajdiez,

I was noticing this, too. I just got back from DC last night and couldn't believe the price difference. DC prices have traditionally been averaging as some of the highest in the country. As of last night I'm seeing Raleigh prices about 45 cents per gallon more than DC prices (at least where I buy gas). I sure hope this represents just a temporary supply issue in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary