Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 AM

20 posts, read 92,670 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a newbish homeowner who is in the process of my 1 year inspection. The builder is being pretty great about fixing whatever I have marked down on my list including about a hundred nail pops. From what I was told by my own inspector that is kind of rare. The problem is in my sons room. There is about an 8-10 degree dropoff in temperature in this room. We are having Comfort Master come and install some baffles and that should help they say. I think however that there is more to the problem. I feel that there is simply too much cold air flowing in through the windows. The builders rep says there is nothing that can be done about this. What is a normal amount of cold seepage that should be coming from these windows? The house is set at 72 degrees and in the morning today the guy came and measured at the floor directly below the window and got a reading of 61.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
If you hold a candle around the window, does the flame flicker? Or holding a lit incense stick, does the smoke go straight up or sideways?
Does the window seal tightly all around as far as you can see? Sometimes in installation, the window may be racked or the sill may be pulled down into a dip and this may prevent the weatherstripping from sealing.

Is thisahr a bonus room type of area over a garage? Sometimes it can be difficult to get airflow to these areas, or return air from these areas.

The issue may be the lack of air flow to a return air grill. Does it have good air flow OUT of the room when the door is open?
Also, sometimes the flex ducts are hung with narrow straps, and then sag and this can cut the flow through the duct. It is worth looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary