U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,317,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
They call me MISTER Tibbs.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Just the other day my brother and I were discussing how "the locals" hang out at the Hardees in Wake Forest...... I know of another couple who moved to Gardner (15 years ago) to live "near the locals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 AM

2,183 posts, read 4,682,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Again and again people make this claim, and again and again--it's not true. Pockets of the area? Sure--Cary being the most obvious, many parts of North Raleigh, Chapel Hill, etc. BUT there are still more Southerners in the Triangle area than Northern transplants overall (remember that lots of transplants themselves come from other parts of the South).

It is NOT "another Northern Virginia" here; there is still a "Southern" foundation in most of the Triangle. You don't say exactly what you mean by "super-southern in attitude", but there is still a lot of Southern "style" and ways here.
I would have to agree with you, because I grew up in Northern VA and Northern VA hasn't been the "South" since the 1960's. Raleigh is definitely Southern compared to NoVA. While there are many transplants here, everyone I work with is from the South and they all have the accents to prove it. This area is a nice mix though and you get the Southern culture, without feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere Mississippi (if that makes sense).

Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,209,150 times
But Raleigh is infinitely less "southern" than Greenville, NC or Spartanburg, SC, for example. It's not entirely "Yankeefied," but it is definitely much less "southern" than it used to be and much less "southern" than other parts of the Carolinas.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:04 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,317,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
But Raleigh is infinitely less "southern" than Greenville, NC or Spartanburg, SC, for example. It's not entirely "Yankeefied," but it is definitely much less "southern" than it used to be and much less "southern" than other parts of the Carolinas.
Exactly.
That is why some people look for the "locals."

Old 10-14-2008, 06:44 PM

69 posts, read 137,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Containment
Area for
Relocated
Yankees.

They've been calling it that for at least 30 years, and it's only gotten "truer"
Funny! Won't be us tho... I really like a smaller town feel...
Thanks for sharin'..

Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,345,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebrunn View Post
I guess SO if that's what you call it? Incidentally, IS that what you call it? What's the atmosphere? I had an interesting experience once while traveling abroad. Coming from Michigan where there is a LOT of tension between black and white I didn't know WHAT to expect when we traveled to Tanzania and were on the EXTREME side of minority.... The strange thing? There was a TOTAL lack of tension... I couldn't figure it out at first, but once I did I thought it VERY intriguing. Though it made a lot of sense, it had just never occurred to me. I am interested to know what any of your own experiences have been... concerning North and South...?
Really? Why would that seem strange? Why would there be that sort of tension there? Were whites taken to Tanzania and used as slaves? Then given "freedom" with very few rights? I mean, the history there is completely different! I think it's very interesting that you would assume b/c they are black they would feel the same as blacks in MI, despite being thousands of miles away, with a completely different history (and not even involved in the slave trade at all). The only thing they have in common w/blacks in MI is their skin color. Also, fyi, having lived in Africa, I can tell you that there is definitely resentment toward those nations which colonized them. That would be historically and geographically relevant resentment. As in, should the blacks in MI hate the French b/c the French colonized numerous African nations?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 PM

316 posts, read 663,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Just the other day my brother and I were discussing how "the locals" hang out at the Hardees in Wake Forest...... I know of another couple who moved to Gardner (15 years ago) to live "near the locals."
I've never seen more then a few people at a time at that Hardees. I assure you, there are many more 'locals' in Wake Forest then you seem to have come across.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 AM

69 posts, read 137,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Really? Why would that seem strange? Why would there be that sort of tension there? Were whites taken to Tanzania and used as slaves? Then given "freedom" with very few rights? I mean, the history there is completely different! I think it's very interesting that you would assume b/c they are black they would feel the same as blacks in MI, despite being thousands of miles away, with a completely different history (and not even involved in the slave trade at all). The only thing they have in common w/blacks in MI is their skin color. Also, fyi, having lived in Africa, I can tell you that there is definitely resentment toward those nations which colonized them. That would be historically and geographically relevant resentment. As in, should the blacks in MI hate the French b/c the French colonized numerous African nations?
Since you have actually lived in Africa (which country?) I would think you would know more of the history..
The peoples in Tanzania actually DO have some of the same history... Remember it was the (black) people there who were SELLING the slaves... Just as it is today there are divisions there.. "these" people would attack their "enemy" and sell them to the slave traders... that was PART of the history anyway... Then there were other people (Europeans) who just came in and kidnapped the African people. On EACH side of the world there is a similar history.
And I did not ASSUME anything. I didn't even THINK about it until I was actually THERE... and couldn't figure out why things "felt" so different.
To quote you here:
"Also, fyi, having lived in Africa, I can tell you that there is definitely resentment toward those nations which colonized them. That would be historically and geographically relevant resentment."
This was EXACTLY what I was talking about.... I wondered how they would have felt having had their families destroyed and being treated worse than animals. Would there STILL be a lot of resentment.. ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary