Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
We do all have one thats for sure Vicki ;-) Vicki have you looked at the Adams brick ranches out in Creedmoor?
I have, Debbie, they started out as our first choice but they have sold quite a few of those! We went to see 2 in their price range but neither had the exact layout they wanted. The Centex house they purchased has exactly what they wanted and they are thrilled. Don't you just love happy clients?!!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You're right..posting is about giving truthful information...how was I not doing this in posting the statistics comparing columbus and raleigh?
Misquoting what someone says to make the statistics look the way you want them to is not truthful.

I said my clients said that they left Columbus and got so much more here. If you were comparing what I was talking about, you would have been comparing Columbus to Creedmoor (Granville county in case you don't know).

Again...are the statistics more accurate than people living in an area with actual experience? I don't think so.

Maybe that is why I rely on my YEARS of experiences as a Realtor instead of people that have left the state that only had ONE experience.

Vicki

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
To sum up 13 years (the majority of my two oldest kids lives thus far) in 4 distinct and popularly inquired about areas of the triangle area as "one experience", implying I shouldn't be given much credit, is rude and ridiculous In your first post you never mentioned creedmore (which btw, I was aware is located in Granville County).....you live in Raleigh, I assumed the clients you were selling to bought in Raleigh. Housing prices and cost of living are on average a little higher in Raleigh than in Columbus. Tell me again where I am trying to be misleading and/or showing ignorance of what the OP was asking about? Were these not details the OP was curious about?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I assumed the clients you were selling to bought in Raleigh

Do you know what happens when we assume? (Seinfeld episode).

It looks like Vicki's point was that she was stating what her clients felt from having lived in one area and then moving here, which is pretty much the point of the forum. And I do agree with Vicki that stats can easily be misleading. Just because the "average" house price can be higher in one place compared to another, does not mean that you cannot get lower priced homes there. In this area, many more big homes are being built now, so the "average" price will be higher. Now Vicki as great as she is can find a home that is much more affordable for her clients, thus coming in much lower than the average and lower than where here clients had lived. So her clients are very happy with what they found and for them it is much cheaper here. This is how I read it. I

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2008 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: off topic and flaming

Old 10-10-2008, 05:14 AM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Here's Mike-rosoft's question to the Original Poster:

"Were the responses in this thread helpful?"

I did not move here from Ohio, so it is difficult to be specific.
But you should visit and satisfy yourselves to some extent.
We have many parks, large and small, and also have quick access to the Atlantic Ocean, which was a nice trade for us coming from Pennsylvania.

We have a very good state university system that is affordable for in-state students, and may in the long term help make the move worthwhile.

I wouldn't give up a day of NC weather for anything I have seen in Ohio.

You would be moving to very much a Basketball-oriented college sports area, vs. Big 10 football.
But we DO have NHL hockey, and the Blue Jackets will visit the 'Canes on Valentine's Day.

We have excellent-to-superb health care available. Don't know how that compares.

The international community is reasonably developed due to the draws of the universities and RTP. That diversity is more broadening than was the limited exposure to other cultures I lived with in small town PA.

You may find our cost of living a little higher, but that is partially a function of an economically dynamic area. I'm not sure what economic growth you are seeing in Columbus, though...

Again, I have not lived anywhere in Ohio, so your perceptions may vary. Here's hoping you can find some more help from Columbus--NC relocatees here.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-10-2008 at 06:30 AM..

Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
I think the only thing you would miss is Big Ten football and Ohio State Game days but I also think that you will find that this area has so much more to offer than central Ohio.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Do you know what happens when we assume? (Seinfeld episode).

It looks like Vicki's point was that she was stating what her clients felt from having lived in one area and then moving here, which is pretty much the point of the forum. And I do agree with Vicki that stats can easily be misleading. Just because the "average" house price can be higher in one place compared to another, does not mean that you cannot get lower priced homes there. In this area, many more big homes are being built now, so the "average" price will be higher. Now Vicki as great as she is can find a home that is much more affordable for her clients, thus coming in much lower than the average and lower than where here clients had lived. So her clients are very happy with what they found and for them it is much cheaper here. This is how I read it. Is there a reason why your posts seem to try to degrade this area, especially as you don't live here? Did you have a bitter experience when you lived here? I have read some over the top generalized posts that don't seem to portray anything that I see. I just wonder if maybe things did not work out for you, therefore you think things will be bad for everyone.
I do believe you hit the nail squarely on the head! I only wish I could give you more rep points for being accurate AND sensible. By the way...Creedmoor is spelled C R E E D M O O R.

Vicki

Old 10-10-2008, 08:28 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBoyMommy View Post
I think the only thing you would miss is Big Ten football and Ohio State Game days but I also think that you will find that this area has so much more to offer than central Ohio.
Ah yes, this is not to be trivialized! I went to a huge football school for undergrad and then to Ohio State for grad school. It was a big change moving to "basketball" land here in the Triangle. Just can't get as hyped up about hoops as I can about the pigskin.

I lived in Columbus for 3 yrs prior to moving to the Triangle (Durham) 8 yrs ago and have been pleasantly surprised. I expected this area to seem very "rinky dink" and "backwoods" in comparison to Columbus and have found that to not be the case at all.

I was neither a mother nor a homeowner yet when in Columbus, so I can't compare those aspects, but rest assured, there are plenty of things to do here for kids. There's the Marbles Museum, Museum of Life and Science, Natural History Museum (free!) which are all favorites for my kids.

There are many great city and state parks in this area for outdoor recreation. The fantastic weather and mild winters really do make a difference- the kids can go out and play pretty much all year with the exception of a chilly month or two.

The biggest difference I suppose for me is that Columbus was much more compact, whereas in order to have the same scope of what's available in Columbus, you really have to compare it to the whole Triangle as opposed to just one city here. Pre-kids, the husband and I used to venture out to Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill more often, but now with the kids, we don't make it out of Durham quite as often. I suspect this may change when they are a little older.

I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy the Triangle coming from Columbus, unless you really love cold rainy days or the traffic on I-270! This feels like home to me and I do not plan to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary