Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times

Advertisements

There is a health insurance available for kids in the state. If you search google using NC health choice for children (NCHC), there is information.

eg: NC DMA: NC Health Choice for Children

not sure if this is the type of thing you were looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
There is also something available for the kids through wcpss (wake county public school system). They send brochures at the beginning of each school year. I don't recollect the name of the company but I found a link to k12studentinsurance through the athletics webpage.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:13 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Also, if your child is enrolled in college, full-time, there are some very inexpensive coverages through most universities for your child. I think some colleges actually include it their tuition. My daughter will be going to school here next year and we are going to be paying about $10,000 a year. This includes her tuition, room and board, and yes, health insurance. Very affordable in my opinion.

If your child is not staying on campus, you can purchase the plan through the college for about $35-$40 per month, with a very low deductible. As long as they are enrolled full-time.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:31 AM

237 posts, read 756,978 times
The schools did send home pamphlets regarding insurance. Just be careful with this. When I called the number on the pamphlet, I was told that this program was to be used as a supplement, not a replacement for standard insurance.
It seems like more is offered for college students. You might want to call a local pediatricians office as well and ask them for guidance. Best of luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Quote:
The only way to fix it would be to require all employers to pay for coverage and to insure that it is affordable. A national plan supported by taxes on all employers would spread the risk making coverage affordable.
I really have mixed feelings about this. In general, I am a conservative and believe in the free market. The thought of government run health care scares me, but the current system of employer provided health insurance has too many problems. For the employee, there is a double wammy if they lose their job. If they want to maintain insurance, their expenses increase drastically at the very time their income disappears. For the small employer, after salaries, insurance is probably their largest expense. Anything to increase their per-employee costs will surely result in lost jobs.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:08 PM

11 posts, read 20,759 times
Hi. I am also coming from NY and currently have [SIZE=2]Aetna. It said its covered in some areas of NC, does anyone know if this area is covered? Thanks.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM

237 posts, read 756,978 times
You might want to call the company directly to find out. Also, do a Google search and you will find out info on the web. I don't know what your plan is, but if it is an HMO, North Carolina seems to be trying to get rid of them as there have been problems here. I don't have first hand info on this, but I have read about it. There might even be some old threads in this forum regarding them.
Best of luck.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Kaiser HMO left many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary